Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD'ing Arming Corps of Engineers Land

I am completely new to MD'ing. Went on my first hunt yesterday with my new detector, pinpointer and tools. I found an old 1800-1900 nail in my back yard and got excited hehe that's how new I am. I have done a decent amount of research about MD'ing in my area and know I can do it in my state park nearby with a permit (that I have applied for). My question is has anyone MD'd on Army Corps of Engineers land? For what I have read it can be done in certain areas (non historic, non archeological, etc etc) but before I do it ANYWHERE I wanted to get some peoples opinions and some more information. The area I would be detecting is along popular swimming areas of black river that the Corps owns. I live in Missouri, specifically near Clearwater Lake. Thanks alot in advance!

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will have to write the district office for the park you want to hunt in and ask about metal detecting in the park. Most likely if it’s okay, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will send you a forum to apply for a permit.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I have metal detected on ACE land. The rules vary from location to location. Some places are strictly off limits. Some places are ok with permission and/or a permit.

Whatever you do, do not simply go onto the property and start detecting without permission. Due to the ownership, that is a federal offense. And you really don't want that on your record.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted ACE properties with permission from a ranger. Just ask some questions and feel it out. Try to build rapport before directly asking for metal detecting permission. Without permission you are asking for trouble with Federal land.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best site I have ever had has been on Corp of Engineers land. The land is about 1/2 mile from a dam. Never asked permission mainly because I would probably get a no or they would want any finds (like they would know what to do with them). The place is out in the sticks and there is nobody around. The land is used for public hunting. No parks or nothing like that. I have run into an employee once and we talked a bit. Told her what I was looking for (historical stuff). The only thing she said was that I may want to consider donate any finds to the local historical society. The place has fur trade era history from the mid 1700's. I hunted the place for over a year with no problems. Found many artifacts from the period including several pieces of indian trade silver.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Swartzie, you were out in the middle of nowhere, and simply did it? Oh me oh my How could you do such a thing? :( Tsk tsk tsk. According to "loot" you were "asking for trouble".

And as far as the one time you actually DID bump into that lady ranger, who didn't care, it simply means you didn't ask enough questions, with the right combinations of buzz words. Now go back and do the right thing, and go to her superiors. Have a shovel in your hand, some of that indian trade silver, and a print-out of ARPA. Then ask if you can have those items or not. Tsk tsk tsk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions