A First at the Local Detector Club Meeting

S

sendin

My metal detector friend, Bob, took me to the local detector club meeting tonight after we had some pizza down the street. A small turn-out, but I got to see everyone's finds for the month and also their 'best of' for the year. I lot of nice jewelry and some very nice coins too.

Took the token I found last week, see http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,56853.0.html and a club memeber token collector offered me $20 for it so I sold it. Yea! Not much into tokens so I'll add the $20 to clad stash for future gold or silver purchase.

At the end of the meeting they had a raffle for a bunch of silver coins and a second raffle for two 1945 Mexican Gold 2 Peso coins. I didn't buy any tickets; being new I figured it was more for the paying members. Just before they started, it was announced that they still needed $10 more dollars in tickets for the gold raffle. So I went up with my $20 to get $10, but some other guy also went up with $5 so I just got $5 so they could make their $10. I went back and sat down.

So they call my number and I go up and get one of the gold coins! They have me pick the next ticket for the next winner. So I pull the ticket and go back and sit down. They call my number AGAIN and I end up with both gold coins for the night!

Man you should of heard the yelling! They say its never happened before. I guesss I'd better join the club! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• DosPesos.jpg
    DosPesos.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 288
T

TreasureTales

Hey, I know the club you're talking about. Some real interesting people attend those meetings!!!! hahahaha Yeah, I can hear them complaining about a newbie (non-member ta-boot) winning those gold Mexican coins. At the local club to which I belong (about 50 miles up the highway from yours), it is ALWAYS true that the newcomer wins the best/most coins. Never fails. Anyhow, good for you that you tried to help them reach their goal and good for you in winning the coins.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
The members are probably still complaining. Those are some beautiful coins. I would join the club if I were you.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You'd better join up or leave town! ;) I can hear 'em from here! Not only that, but now you have a rep for being Lucky! It would almost be worth
buying a very valuable coin, then bringing it in to the next meeting & telling them you found it at the most hunted out place in town! :D hehehe!
Real nice going tho!! 8)

HH Joe

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Way to go there, Sendin. There was a dealer at the FMDAC convention selling those Dos Pesos for $39.50 each. You really made out good.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Nice first meeting Sendin! Perhaps it is a sign of things to come.

S

stefen

The token was free as it was found...sold for $20 and now your $15 to the good plus whatever the gold coins are worth.

Take some of the $15 and sign up.

Oh! Don't forget to buy Bob a drink.

If it wasn't for Bob, you'd just have a token rattling around in your pocket.

OP
OP
S

sendin

I see some coin seller's websites are trying to get up to $49 each for these coins. They are only about .048 oz of 0.9 something gold - very tiny coins, but I like them.

I was thinking about giving Bob one of the coins. I should just do that. Good character test I guess - see if I can overcome selfish things, right? I am going to meet him tonight for the "Gold Diggers" club meeting at 7PM.

I will report back if I do it. I will report back if I don't.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Reminds me of the first meeting I went to- wound up winning a couple of prizes, but then again I also donated a pennyweight of fines, no one griped much!

Love the book Stoney- can I get an autographed copy?!?!? :D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Send,

you made out like a bandit.

Have found that membership in a club is
a good place for local information, if you
keep your eyes and ears open ;).

have a good un................

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jeffro said:
Reminds me of the first meeting I went to- wound up winning a couple of prizes, but then again I also donated a pennyweight of fines, no one griped much!

Love the book Stoney- can I get an autographed copy?!?!? :D

Wished I could Jeffro. But it's kind of crappy reading. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread