All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
smf399 said:
I am fairly new at metal detecting and from videos that I watch of people metal detecting it seems like they get their info from old maps. I have no idea where to get old maps of old foundations in the woods or old torn down buildings etc. so if anyone would like to share their techniques I would really appreciate it. Thank you.:metaldetector::metaldetector::metaldetector:

That's a fine question. Fine indeed. I'm just curious how many time your going to ask it.
Are you aware of let's say google. It's a search engine on the computer. Type in old maps of what ever state your in. All kinds of info will show up. It's a modern day miracle I tell you.

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try here, smf399. Maps

There is soooo much info on this site and it can be hard to locate easily. The best way is to use the "search phrase" field in the upper right hand corner of the website. Good luck!

Incorrigible! : )

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a fine question. Fine indeed. I'm just curious how many time your going to ask it.
Are you aware of let's say google. It's a search engine on the computer. Type in old maps of what ever state your in. All kinds of info will show up. It's a modern day miracle I tell you.

SHHHHH.......don't let this get out that there is this thing called a search engine called Google and that its on a mysterious manchine called a computer.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello SMF399,

Don't take offense, the guys are just having fun with you.
Finding old maps will actually vary by state; but in general you'll want to use your search engine or a multi-search engine such as web ferret to search for maps. The advantage of a multi-search engine is that it will use many singular search engines such as google and yahoo simultaneously and deliver more hits on your keywords. Not all search engines search in the same places so you'll get more and better results by using different search engines.

We (The guys in the PA Ghostown Group) typically use Beers Maps or the Caldwell Atlas. Also search on old railroad maps for your state. Your local county courthouses will also have old maps and plot plans (PLATT Maps) of your area. Topographical maps and old Arial photos should also be available; just search on those keywords.

Cheers,
:occasion14:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smf399 .....Sorry for some of the comments that have been posted. One of the best ways to learn about anything is to ask questions. It is a shame that some people feel it is okay to comment or answer in a condescending manner, when on a forum. Something about the anonymity provided by the internet will make some people respond in a way they would never do face to face. Plain and simple, it is rude and in some way makes them feel superior. I realize that often times it is meant in fun, but I see it too often from the same individuals on TNET. I believe it reflects poorly on our hobby. The comment that "it has already been posted many times look it up" or something similar are hard to understand. In reality it would have taken little more time for them to help than to insult. If you knew the answer you would not have asked the question. We all have to start somewhere and this is a great place as a whole. I really hope that you do not let such comments taint your opinion of this site, or its members. Keep hunting and keep asking ....best of luck.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smf399

smf399

Aug 7, 2012
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
As an alternative, if we knew exactly what area you are looking for, we might be able to save you some time searching.
Don....

I am in nj

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some really good stuff lately at the Library of Congress. They have several maps that I have downloaded and saved. Middle Tennesse Metal Detecting Club has a site that gave me several good sources. You may have a local club who has a website with more info on local sources.:icon_thumleft:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, you're in NJ. Specify, if you wish, what area in NJ (or elsewhere)--the City, town, ghosttown, intersection, or etc. that you would like to research. OR, is you search non-specific and you're just asking a general Q. as to where old maps can be found?
Don........

OP
OP
smf399

smf399

Aug 7, 2012
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want general. I would like maps that would tell me where old houses used to be. Like a old property map.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want general. I would like maps that would tell me where old houses used to be. Like a old property map.
RESEARCH map sites

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd start with the earliest USGS topographic maps of the area I was interested in--then work forward to more modern topo maps. Those maps typically show the location of streets and buildings including homes, schools and churches.
You can learn about them here: About the US Topo
Don.....
PS: By comparing past to current topos, you can see where buildings once were--through no longer there.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously mean no offense to anyone who is trying to help here, it is very nice of you and you are of course at will to post as many times as you'd like on this thread, but when I sent smf399 to the MAP section of TN, I was figuring that most everything that he is being told here could be found there (and it can be if you look-it is a very good starting reference point). From there, should anyone have any questions, round 2 might be necessary.

I don't think that it is wrong to teach a man to fish......

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Catobra said:
I seriously mean no offense to anyone who is trying to help here, it is very nice of you and you are of course at will to post as many times as you'd like on this thread, but when I sent smf399 to the MAP section of TN, I was figuring that most everything that he is being told here could be found there (and it can be if you look-it is a very good starting reference point). From there, should anyone have any questions, round 2 might be necessary.

I don't think that it is wrong to teach a man to fish......

It's amazing to me that such a general question was asked, especially in regards to maps. You are correct about teaching a person. Some poster above apologized for some other posting. If that guy wanted to help rather the rant about some of the posts he would have told him there is a map forum on t-net. When I first came to this site I actual read the posts on most of the forums. Hell I am all for helping anyone, but I wanna know that they tried to help themselves.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Catobra, IMO it seems you are suggesting that all the other 41,000+ members should wait for the original poster to digest what you suggested before we offer the original poster further suggestions. Can you please clarify?
Don.......

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, actually, I am suggesting that if someone says, "here's a link or the info is all over this site, have at it researching" that is not a bad thing.

To clarify, "you are of course at will to post as many times as you'd like on this thread".

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm ...have you ever reviewed or thought about any of your comments. So far I have not been the target of your comments but my gosh just let people ask what they want without belittling them. If they should have done more research etc before they ask a question you could help by putting them on the right track without being so condiscending. God forbid they bring up maps or headphones. I promise I am not just looking for an arguement but I believe that anyone that goes on your profile and reviews your posts will get the idea. Help brother....don't belittle and discourage. :occasion14:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TNGUNS said:
ticm ...have you ever reviewed or thought about any of your comments. So far I have not been the target of your comments but my gosh just let people ask what they want without belittling them. If they should have done more research etc before they ask a question you could help by putting them on the right track without being so condiscending. God forbid they bring up maps or headphones. I promise I am not just looking for an arguement but I believe that anyone that goes on your profile and reviews your posts will get the idea. Help brother....don't belittle and discourage. :occasion14:

The reverend tnguns has spoken. Can I get a AMEN. Thanks for heading me down the right path.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread