K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
By the way if you really want to get serious,you have to practice with your detector,you can't pick up a musical instrument and play it with out knowledge and practice,set aside a certain amount of time and practice even in the winter, if your looking for a cache never detect in disciminate mode,and for heaven sakes dig all signals and check below junk when you find it,remember you dont know what they really buried it in,so to make sure always operate without discriminate,and cheak all signals and be sure to back fill your holes,That will make sure you can always come back if need be.........Kenjmor

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh! Be carefull who you deal with if you do find treaure,in a cache I had found in 1971,there was a 1838 O five dollar gold coin in very good shape,a lawyer I knew was ordering gold coins out of florida,so I took the coin and he asked me to leave it so his faher could look at it,I waited two weeks and never heard from him so went back to his office and asked if his father wanted the gold coin,and he said and I quote "what gold coin,I dont understand what your talking about" Bottom line don't trust anyone who wants to hold it and will let you know,by the way out of that cache I gave my mother 50 $20 minted in the 1850's and advised her to sell them when gold reached $900 a ounce.......Kenjmor
..... Your stories are great...And i enjoy them .......... But my point is what you just said Be carefull who you deal with ....But my real point is don't trust any one.............

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Keppy I agree there are some things to be quite about for more than one reason,I remember that a farmer near where there was a querilla camp near Liberty landing ,Liberty Missouri had plowed up a huge iron kettle loaded with civil war loot,the farmer called the IRS of all people,they send out a amoured car and picked it all up ,they paid him face value after taxes. Another thing was I had my car broken into by unknown thieves,they pried the trunk lid open and broke a window to get inside.Nothing was taken but a few days before I had found a cache and sold some to a local coin dealer,he talked I guess.So don't worry I have a saying now "A WISE FOX NEVER REVEALS HIS DEN".... Like I say here I am trying to help the novice treasure hunter with my years of experience,I can't use it in my grave.......Kenjmor

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Now here is a story told by a very old woman Her name was Elizabeth (Bohannon) Davis,daughter of hartwell bohannon Mcfall Missouri. In her own words,"When I was a small girl my parents went to town at night time and left me in the care of my grandfather,when everyone was gone he got his money he had hid behind the woodpile,he put it all in a teakettle,then he lit a lantern and took me out by a welled in spring and sit me on the end of a rock wall and I could hear him digging on the other side of the spring in the dark,he then took me back to the house and not long after he died,I told my parents about the money being buried by the spring,but they could never find it. Do your esearch and see if you can locate the farm,now which grandfather I dont know,because after she told this she had a stroke and did not even know her own son........Kenjmor

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy I agree there are some things to be quite about for more than one reason,.So don't worry I have a saying now "A WISE FOX NEVER REVEALS HIS DEN".... Like I say here I am trying to help the novice treasure hunter with my years of experience,I can't use it in my grave.......Kenjmor
...Kenjmor.... I see you know what i am talking about...... And i do enjoy your stories .... So stay like that WISE FOX and ..HH...Keppy...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just imagine how boring this site would be, if no one told anything about their cache hunting.
....It would not be boring here..... We get a lot that disagree on things and that really keeps it from being boring.........:laughing7:.......... And we get some personality clashes here and that keeps it pretty interesting also......:laughing9:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah Keppy, your right, but the disagreements usually come from people believing or not believing a find, and then come the personality clashes come when the op is upset with no one believing him. So its all about the story, no story, no disagreements, unless its a contest between a White's or a Fisher, and those disagreements get boring very fast.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah Keppy, your right, but the disagreements usually come from people believing or not believing a find, and then come the personality clashes come when the op is upset with no one believing him. So its all about the story, no story, no disagreements, unless its a contest between a White's or a Fisher, and those disagreements get boring very fast.
... Yes you are right there............

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Lastleg it is a long story why I am in the Philippines,I will be coming back to portland Oregon Sept./11 I married a filipina and bought a home I never got(enough said about that) A fool and his money are soon parted. Anyway I will be back in the good old usa on my pension,I might get back into hunting a little,but not likely,I have a bad ticker................Kenjmor

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Ken, are you saying she didn't get that too? Anyway I wish you the best. Your ticker will get better in the good ole USA.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
It's always nice to hear that caches can be found with research, luck, first hand information and stories. I just think of today's kids, / adults that would never think about burying valuables, much less saving for a rainy day. So the stories, from news papers, research and old timers are getting fewer and fewer. Thanks again for your stories, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your adventures! Because stories are also treasure, and some stories are lost to time, if no one is looking, listening, and researching. Thank you for sharing some of your treasure with us!

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is a way I located places to hunt caches,I looked for and found old atlases as close to the civil war as I could,of course all this was done in winter months,it is the best time to do research.The atlas gave owner names and approximate house locations,I matched it with uptodate maps,then started to look for old wills on some of the big landowners,with research you can narrow it down to a possible hidden cache.That means digging thru the court records.Old newspaper is another good place to look,and of course at the time I asked the old timers about local people and history.,when your driving around in the country keep a eye out for old homessteads,flowers where there should not be,trees that stand alone in a field,old cellars,The list goes on. Mamby this will give you newbies a few tips.........Kenjmor

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Good points Ken. Sending out newbies with brand new tectors without explaining to them property rights and gun-toting landowners
could put some in jeopardy. In the past folks were generous with us but some let you know you gotta go NOW. That taught us to be
cautious and more prepared to gain entry. So when you see those out of the way tipoffs, always drive along all fence lines to spot
No Trespassing signs. And if you get permission do not leave a trace of your digs.

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Good post Lastleg I assume that the newbies had enough sense to read up on the laws and how to get contracts signed,if they dont have enough sense to do that then I dont know that they would ever suceed,What I am doing here is giving pointers not teaching a treasure hunting course. I am not telling them what dectector to buy nor how to tune it.I think I will make this my last post here. I have said enough I guess.........Kenjmor

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well if you gotta go . . . you know. Let us know when you get back, and kiss the ground when you reach the USA.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your stories Kenjmor, I apologize for the sly and furtive comments by lastleg, I think you dug up one of his cache's and he's still a little perturbed about it.:laughing7: I look forward to your future posts... wherever they may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread