A treasure hunters memories

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
A treasure hunter's memories

I am old now and can only remember the getting up early before sunrise and getting ready to start my treasure hunting day,I remember the caches I have found,also the disappointments to find the treasure gone,I remember how excited I was to find two different guerilla camps in cedar county missouri,one on horse creek and the other on cedar creek ,also a guerilla graveyard,I am sad I never had the time to follow up on a lot of stories I had in that area.I am also sad that a lot of history is being rapidly erased.My day dreams are always on stories I have heard but never checked out.To you young treasure hunters get it while you can because time is against you. Good hunting everyone....Kenjmor

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Feel free to share some exploits,i,m sure you would find an eager audience here.

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is one you might like,back in the 1970's I had a retired school teacher knock on my door(female) she stated her husband had buried four one gallon jars of silver dollars and wanted to make a deal with me to find them. We agreed on a 60/40 split,me getting 40% . When I went with her and looked the place over(out in country) I noticed old boards back of the house that had come from teeter totters and they had used them for a wak to the old out house,I had warmed up my detector(d-tex) I started swinging slow back and forth across the boards and in about 15 minutes hit a good signal under the board,I turned the board over and dug down about six inches and hit th top od a jarlid,digging futher down and found one of the gallons of silver dollars,so being honest I carried it to the back door and said I had found one.She came out all excited,I asked her now you have a choice do we split the coins or will we sell them and split,her answer was you didnt work that hard for it,I have been thinking thats all my money why should you get any of it(Please notice this was on a hand shake and no contract) SO is said fine and left,I wated almost two months and she went to visit a sister and I went in and found the other three and needless to say I kept my mouth shut....Kenjmor.

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is another one,I had the idea to get a new metal detector,I was living in the kansas city missouri area and went to olathe to check out Fisher metal detectors,I put a deposit down on one and took it out to try it out gefore I purchased it,I drove down a old dirt road to the north west of olathe and found a place where it looked like a old house might have been there because of a big old cedar tree out in a plowed field. I stopped at a farm house and asked about permission,it happened to be the owner of the ground,he gave permission and asked to watch,so we both went and I started detecting with the fisher tr,I found a strong signal at the base of the cedar tree and dug down about eight or ten inches and hit a old crock fruit jar with indian head pennies and dimes in it,that farmer got so excited he almost had a heart attack,we split 50/50 and I went back and finished paying for the fisher,I finally ended up with a garrett and was always satisfied with it.........Kenjmor

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good stuff there Kenjmor2006. Insight into sites too. The spot within the spot! Thanks for sharing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am old now and can only remember the getting up early before sunrise and getting ready to start my treasure hunting day,I remember the caches I have found,also the disappointments to find the treasure gone,I remember how excited I was to find two different guerilla camps in cedar county missouri,one on horse creek and the other on cedar creek ,also a guerilla graveyard,I am sad I never had the time to follow up on a lot of stories I had in that area.I am also sad that a lot of history is being rapidly erased.My day dreams are always on stories I have heard but never checked out.To you young treasure hunters get it while you can because time is against you. Good hunting everyone....Kenjmor
....... All i can say is i know what you mean...... My stories i have them ... But like my finds i have no need to tell about or show my finds ....... And no need to tell my stories.. But i still know what you mean....

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is one of my first finds,my grandfather had told me about a bunch of outlaw brothers who lived in a manmade cave about a mile up a long hollow,Thier mother lived next door to my great grandfather. These outlaws robbed all over missouri and Iowa and according to my grandfather the boys mother took some money of thiers and buried it near her house.She later died and the boys went to prison,when the boys got out of prison they dug all over her yard and never found it.I kept always that story in my mind and finially had a chance to use a metal detector there,I searched for almost four days and almost gave up,thinking it was gone,I went to a place that a old neighbor said was the old garden spot and soon had a deep faint signal,I dug down about two feet and hit a old copper teakettle with thirty five $20 dollar gold coins and ten $10 and four $5........KenjMor

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
If I was young I would spend my time in the caplinger mills missouri area along horse and cedar creeks,there is a lot of history there and it was a guerilla strong hold for miles, I am sure there are thousands of dollars in gold buried all over there,and also they have so many treasure glyps up and down the rivers.I am sure many of the guerilla(bushwhackers) buried loot close to some kind of natural mark and later was killed........Kenjmor

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one of my first finds,my grandfather had told me about a bunch of outlaw brothers who lived in a manmade cave about a mile up a long hollow,Thier mother lived next door to my great grandfather. These outlaws robbed all over missouri and Iowa and according to my grandfather the boys mother took some money of thiers and buried it near her house.She later died and the boys went to prison,when the boys got out of prison they dug all over her yard and never found it.I kept always that story in my mind and finially had a chance to use a metal detector there,I searched for almost four days and almost gave up,thinking it was gone,I went to a place that a old neighbor said was the old garden spot and soon had a deep faint signal,I dug down about two feet and hit a old copper teakettle with thirty five $20 dollar gold coins and ten $10 and four $5........KenjMor
I think you tell a little to much...... There are things that one should keep to ones self...........

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Explain why Keppy. Is it disclosing location or value? Offer a compromise. I followed,politely at a distance the man who got me started over 40 years ago. Asked no questions,learned little more than the recoveries .was a step (years at times)behind on a couple leads and one of the best sits still. Had i known in advance he was going to die i would have started asking questions. Still have not found his records of leads,maybe this winter, maybe never. All the books he wrote nothing much about his hunts. Should the knowledge and tales be kept concealed?.if your worried about Kenjmor say so,and why. I enjoy his writing,it confirms basic skills people run right past. Shows results from one who has done it right.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Explain why Keppy. Is it disclosing location or value? Offer a compromise. I followed,politely at a distance the man who got me started over 40 years ago. Asked no questions,learned little more than the recoveries .was a step (years at times)behind on a couple leads and one of the best sits still. Had i known in advance he was going to die i would have started asking questions. Still have not found his records of leads,maybe this winter, maybe never. All the books he wrote nothing much about his hunts. Should the knowledge and tales be kept concealed?.if your worried about Kenjmor say so,and why. I enjoy his writing,it confirms basic skills people run right past. Shows results from one who has done it right.
Well that is just me i never tell any thing about my my finds or what i do in my hunting exploit's............. There are some on here that like to tell every thing others that tell a little............. Then i have noticed there are a lot like me....... We post a lot and talk a lot but really never show or tell about what we found .... I don't care what ones tell it is just my way of thinking............... God there is some on here that you know all about there lives nothing private to them........

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is just me i never tell any thing about my my finds or what i do in my hunting exploit's............. There are some on here that like to tell every thing others that tell a little............. Then i have noticed there are a lot like me....... We post a lot and talk a lot but really never show or tell about what we found .... I don't care what ones tell it is just my way of thinking............... God there is some on here that you know all about there lives nothing private to them........
"It takes all kinds to make the world go around"

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
One day I will be no more,I wish before I go to pass a little knowledge on,I have not discussed my big finds,I only want to show that with patience and research there is still treasure out there,with me it has never been about riches ,but always the thrill of uncovering the past.You don't know what it is like I guess to sit beside a hole you have dug and hold gold coins in your hand and think of what transpired before the money was concealed.It took me years to learn a lot of things because I had no mentor ..........Kenjmor

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is another thing I remember when I started hunting caches, when I got to a place to look,I would panic and run here and there trying to find it fast,then I soon discovered it is best to sit and think of areas that a man might use,then take the time to very carefully work the areas one at a time,one time I was at a old farm looking for moonshine money,I kept walking by a huge chunk of coal beside the old coal shed,it took me a week before I decided maby there might be something buried under that chunk of coal,and sure enough there was....Kenjmor

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
There in no better way to learn then by just sitting back and listening to our elders.

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Here is one of disapointment,I had a lady tell me her greatgrandfather had buried his money during the civil war in a fence line and covered it with concrete,while talking to her she said most of the old farm had been sold,so I went to the records and researched her grandfather and it seemed there was a lot of money missing at his death,when I finally went out to the old farm place I noticed up on a hill behind the house a dozer was working,I walked up there and talked to the dozer operator,he informed me in the conversation that the day before when he was pushing out the old fence ,he stopped for lunch and in front of the dozer he noticed a chunk of concrete like it had been poured in a post hole and on top it had the date 1861 and a impression of a hammer,I asked him if he saved it,and he said he thought it was a boundry marker and shoved it and all the old fence in a 25 foot ravine. I am sure that inside that chunk of concrete was the missing money,now it has houses built on top of it.......Kenjmor

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Oh! Be carefull who you deal with if you do find treaure,in a cache I had found in 1971,there was a 1838 O five dollar gold coin in very good shape,a lawyer I knew was ordering gold coins out of florida,so I took the coin and he asked me to leave it so his faher could look at it,I waited two weeks and never heard from him so went back to his office and asked if his father wanted the gold coin,and he said and I quote "what gold coin,I dont understand what your talking about" Bottom line don't trust anyone who wants to hold it and will let you know,by the way out of that cache I gave my mother 50 $20 minted in the 1850's and advised her to sell them when gold reached $900 a ounce.......Kenjmor

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is the kind of reading i enjoy, Thanks Kenjmoor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread