Brian NH

Aug 20, 2012
Rochester NH
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro withh 11" DD Coil
Deteknix Xpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent an e-mail to town chief of police about getting permission to MD town park and this was his reply.
Tell me whats your take on this.

City Ordinance
(f) Defacing Park Property. No person shall cut, break, injure, deface, or disturb any tree, shrub, plant, rock, building, cage, pen, monument, fence, bench or other structure, apparatus or property or pluck, pull up, out, take or remove any shrub, bush, plant or flower or mark, or write upon any building, monument, fence, bench or other structure, or injure, deface or remove any property real or personal or any natural growth, structure, equipment, animals, signs or other park property.
Brian

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what he is saying is you Can MD But you Can't dig for any thing you find...:icon_scratch:
Key words "cut, pull up, plants" since it did not specify Grass-Plants.
They would probably throw you in jail for scooping the tot lot...:laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You know to me what you did in to asking the police chief was not best thing to do....Why would you even ask him.?????????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dunno, I think this is where they could get you too:
"or remove any property real or personal"

is removing a penny from the ground "property"? Personal property?

I could take his reply to you two different ways. Either he's saying "follow the rules, keep the park pretty and enjoy yourself" OR he's saying "I view metaldetecting as being the same as all of this".

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
So what he is saying is you Can MD But you Can't dig for any thing you find...:icon_scratch:
Key words "cut, pull up, plants" since it did not specify Grass-Plants.
They would probably throw you in jail for scooping the tot lot...:laughing7:
Chris,Nice name by the way,I see they are saying"Don't dig the flora" Don't let words scare you,hunt on!!!!!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take on it, why did you even ask, unless there is a rule or law against it posted on the books and or at the park why would you ask?...... Do you ask if you can throw a fresbie there, after all running to catch a fresbie with tear the grass.. Do you ask if you can play football on the grass as falling down will tear the grass and put holes in the grass. What your email did was to say "hey lets ban metal detecting"....

I have hunted more than 50 city and county parks in Florida, I have not asked permission to hunt a single one of them, never been ran out even once........I wonder how many of those parks would have been off limits if I had emailed ahead of time.............

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TH... Is right you know ....... But now they could be watching for you................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What your email did was to say "hey lets ban metal detecting"....

I have hunted more than 50 city and county parks in Florida, I have not asked permission to hunt a single one of them, never been ran out even once........I wonder how many of those parks would have been off limits if I had emailed ahead of time.............
....:headbang:How many........ Could be all would have been off limits .... If you emailed them ahead of time ....

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing they missed, but don't bring it to thier attention is Enjoy your park and have fun.

OP
OP
B

Brian NH

Aug 20, 2012
Rochester NH
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro withh 11" DD Coil
Deteknix Xpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know to me what you did in to asking the police chief was not best thing to do...Why would you even ask him.??????????????????????????????

My take on it, why did you even ask, unless there is a rule or law against it posted on the books and or at the park why would you ask?...... Do you ask if you can throw a fresbie there, after all running to catch a fresbie with tear the grass.. Do you ask if you can play football on the grass as falling down will tear the grass and put holes in the grass. What your email did was to say "hey lets ban metal detecting"....

I'm new to this. Just trying to do the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, now next time you will know. We live and learn..

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have detected first and only stopped once I was instructed to. Asking beforehand makes one sound weak and easy to turn down I would think.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like he gave you permission! Now go for it.... with about 20 buddies and the PRESS! TTC

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Police & other LEO, especially those with rank, are typically not going to give you permission to do anything as it is simply not their job.

During training it is beaten into their minds that they are there to enforce the law and provide safety to the public, nothing more or less.

A well trained LEO will not give you permission to walk down a public sidewalk. (reason has something to with the unknown, ie. you may have restraining or other court orders)

If you feel you aren't allowed to hunt the park based upon his email, I'd contact the park/rec dept. and volunteer to help on a clean-up day and meet some folks who will give you the lowdown on what you can/can't do.

Or.... As P&R depts. are always willing to add any recreation program that doesn't impact their tight budgets, maybe you could volunteer and form a group. (small obligation as few will participate and someone will take over if you don't want to deal with it)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you feel you aren't allowed to hunt the park based upon his email, I'd contact the park/rec dept. and volunteer to help on a clean-up day and meet some folks who will give you the lowdown on what you can/can't do.

Or.... As P&R depts. are always willing to add any recreation program that doesn't impact their tight budgets, maybe you could volunteer and form a group. (small obligation as few will participate and someone will take over if you don't want to deal with it)
Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me i would not do it......I am going to work for free for a bunch of lazy government workers. That never put in a days work for a days pay...... I don't kiss any one's butt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread