All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
milehigh said:
Does anyone know if old mining roads were detailed on old maps somewhere? I have located an awesome old road but trying to research it on the web comes up empty. Anyone know what I might look for?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know man, but I just googled old mining roads and came up with a bunch of stuff. If you want someone to show you, you may want to tell us what state.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Get your hands on some topo maps,geographical survey maps.Most of them have mines on them even if theyre abandoned.Walk the road look for clues,tailing piles are usually pretty easy to spot,rusted equipment,etc.Use google earth,check it out before you decide to walk it.

OP
OP
M

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.....will do.....I wasnt finding anything on Google etc. Colorado by the way.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been trying to id an old trail on neighbors property, & have been having the same problem. I finally went to the local library & found some info, which led me to a local that is writing a book on old roads in the co. she told me the local historical society is the place to go for any info. ours is quite small open only on Tuesdays for a couple hours, but the people that are members are a wealth of info. so I suggest you find your local historical society & see if they can help.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem good luck:icon_thumright:.By the way depending what you are looking for it pays to check the tailings piles also.If the miners were looking for gold ,they didnt care about crystals or gemstones.

OP
OP
M

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see some (2) old camp fire rings (old stones in a circle) along a stretch and cant wait to hit it with the Detector....just looking for anything with some history....so will walk it tomorrow.....(hopefully).

OP
OP
M

milehigh

Jul 10, 2012
Castle Rock,CO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually did...they are small as well, and I think they are about 100 years old....very nice. Open once a week as well.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find the mine and work back and you can be sure it's a mining road. We have a lot here in Summit County, along with old stagecoach roads in the area. The strangest thing I found were established old trails that snaked up the mountains and led to...nowhere. I finally figured they were old logging roads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread