ok need some help here....

Nov 26, 2006

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
Welcome back to this great pasttime!

Everyone has their own opinions about their machines, but......scroll down the main page to the Metal Detecting category and you'll find a sub-category about metal detector reviews. There are good machines in just about every $$ range, and these reviews will definitely give you some great insight and hopefully help you with your decision.

HH....Barb

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need to go to the other forum, but just make sure you don't pay a lot of money on something you may lose intrest in later on.

I would start with a Whites or Garrett in the $200-300 range at first. Then move up if you really fall in love with it like the rest of us. ;D

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Lord,

I swing a White's XLT. Probably not the easiest to use, but it does out-perform many models. You can find them from a range of 400-900$

If you don't want to drop that much, go with a White's Prizm series detector. Very easy to use and affordable. 250-500$

I wouldn't swing anything other than a White's.

Ian

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my XLT $750.00 If You don't want to spend that much. ( but it is an easy machine to use ) then I would suggest the Garrett Ace 250
only because I hear a lot of good things about it

XLT from White's is my choice. It is an excellent coin machine.
Bob

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In my not so humble opinion, the best possible buy in an excellent all around beginning machine is the Garrett ACE 250. I have Garretts, a Fisher, and a White. Some of the others are better than the ACE, but bang for the buck I have to state the ACE 250 is the best detector for the money that I've got. I still have it and the rest. (Garrett 1250, 1500, 2500(2), and the 250, Fisher 1280X and a Whites MXT.)

I carry the ACE everywhere in my car. The rest go on 'planned' trips.

For a reasonable price you can determine if you really like the hobby, then move up if you feel it necessary.

I did it backwards........... :( Got a used ACE a couple months ago, but glad I did.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote the Garrett ACE 250 too! It's a great little machine and packs a punch for the $$

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites makes great detectors (my two TH buddies have them), but I must recommend the Tesoro brand. I have a Vaquero, and it's been awesome so far. Don't forget to do your research on all these brands.

madfranks

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
what kind of budget do you have? in the $200 range the ace 250 cant be beat in my opinion. at $500 and up the choices begin to become a little overwhelming. you need to determine what type of hunting you most plan to do and how complicated a machine you are comfortable with.

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hey man, welcome back to one of the greatest hobbies there is! I swing a 1225x fisher, one of the simplest machines you can get your hands on and very affordable,$270 W/shipping a coil cover and a detecting pouch,at least thats what I got when I got mine last july.Two knobs,On/off/discriminate and a sensitivity for highly mineralized soil.Oh Yeah and a pinpointing button(very helpful for a newby)Do your research but this is probably one of the simplest,quickest and best performing discriminators for the money.Check out Clevenger's detector sales for a good deal!Hope this helps, Bootstrap ;D

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I bought a Fisher (and some other stuff) at a yard sale for $20. It works great! (1265-X) I find stuff at 6' in dry sand, but now I have the 'beach bug' so I am going for the Tesoro Tiger Shark. I plan on doing some civil war relic hunting and from what I have read the Shark will do both (Wet and Dry). The point is you don't have to go all out at first (as others said), used may be the way to 'get your feet wet'. (so to speak) Good Luck

Kevin0

OP
OP
L
Nov 26, 2006
Hello all u treasure monkeys . Thanx a bunch for all the input. To reply to some, I'm just lookin' to mess around in whatever spare time i can find and i want a reliable detector that can find gold, silver, etc.. and i want it to be easy to use. ya know it beeps, u dig and find somethin. : ) I live in upstate N.Y. and won't be goin to the beach anytime soon but ya never know. I got a couple places i'd like to go mostly old farmland, fields and a couple of choice spots so i guess i need somethin that can "see" through lots of dirt, clay whatever. As for price I don't know somewhere around $ 500 - $1000 if it makes a difference. i'm a firm believer in you get whatcha pay for so any more input helps. till then.....peace.... and keep diggin'.

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
I have the Garrett 1500, love it...but bought a Garrett Ace 250 for grandkids, decided I liked it as much or better than 1500, so I took it away from them.... ;D
Lightweight, easy to tote around, never misses a lick....my pick? Garrett Ace 250. Now that is just MY opinion.... 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread