To Cover or Not to Cover???

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil covers DO NOT, in ANY WAY, affect your depth or sensitivity. All they do is PROTECT your coil and investment!

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry and Jason.. I'm new at this MD hobby and rest assured I'll ask a lot of "dumb questions" in the future.. As I heard once before, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask..again, thanks for your reply and knowledge.. Happy Hunting!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no it does not...unless its made out of metal......lol!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be afraid to ask any questions here, unless it involves hunting anywhere close to cemetaries. Trust me, you don't want to open that can for thousandth time.

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang it kayden, and I was all set to make me a coil cover out of old spam cans....lol

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jason, nope, I'm not a grave robber but I have went and sit in a few cemetaries to think and clear my mind. It's very quite and no one bothers you..... lol

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be afraid to ask any questions here, unless it involves hunting anywhere close to cemetaries. Trust me, you don't want to open that can for thousandth time.
Two months a member, I breifly got a kick out of the cemetary posts. Until someone mentioned hunting battlefields. being simular. I think it needs its own forum.
I don't care for the unemployed bbq eaters, in front of the tv, alergic to capricons !
Lighten up all. Jason Just joking.
Who eats broccoli and exfoliates? lol
Welcome Willy. Good people here. All republicans! lol
Ray

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting cemeteries is a very touchy subject. I have closed multiple threads because of the debate getting way out of hand...There are plenty of posts to read on subject already and there will not be a forum started for hunting cemetaries....

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It absolutely positively without a shadow of a doubt interferes with the way it works.Will never ever use one in a million years, I've been using mine for ten plus years and never wore a hole in the coil. But I guess you'll have to learn the hard way! Saying from experience , tried it two times and both times filled up with very very fine sand. If you use it make sure it is silicon on and redo two times a year depending on use!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I disagree with that line of thinking. So what if sand get in the coil? Unless it's magnetite type sand it's not going to hurt anything. Take your cover off a few times a year and clean it. And it is ABSOLUTELY FALSE to say they interfere with the detector.

Some people really don't need a cover. If you are gliding above the ground, or just hunting grassy parks you will never wear out a coil, much less a coil cover. On the other hand, dirt, sand, rocks, gravel, coral can scrub a hole in a cover within a year if you hunt very much.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know what's in the sand in NJ but there is something in it that interferes with my whites.
I work the harshest environments here. They get beat up to death and never made a hole in it yet.
If it does just get a new one, better safe than sorry. Just may miss the find of your life. So go ahead... use it!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't be a fool rap your tool. get a cover or some glue, if you scrub the ground and bounce it off of rocks you will need one or the other....

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an old CW and RW cemetary a few miles from where I live but would never go there with a MD to dig... Just not my thing..

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to say thanks to everyone for the replys to my question and all the input I've gotten. I'm old to the world but just a newbie at MDing (waiting on mine to arrive) and all you guys are great to put up with some of the things I ask or may ask in the future.. Happy Hunting To All...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It absolutely positively without a shadow of a doubt interferes with the way it works.Will never ever use one in a million years, I've been using mine for ten plus years and never wore a hole in the coil. But I guess you'll have to learn the hard way! Saying from experience , tried it two times and both times filled up with very very fine sand. If you use it make sure it is silicon on and redo two times a year depending on use!

I just want to disagree with you. A coil cover is made from non-metal plastic. Radio waves (VLF) and electronic pulses (PI) pass right through it as if it wasn't there. If you had an ill-fitting scuff cover that filled with sand each time you used it, you should have sent it back and gotten yourself one that fit. I use a coil cover on all my beach and dirt machines. It protects my investment, and keeps the resale value of my machines high. Never, ever, silicone your coil or spray it with truck bed liner. The new owner may not like that tattoo..

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman said:
I just want to disagree with you. A coil cover is made from non-metal plastic. Radio waves (VLF) and electronic pulses (PI) pass right through it as if it wasn't there. If you had an ill-fitting scuff cover that filled with sand each time you used it, you should have sent it back and gotten yourself one that fit. I use a coil cover on all my beach and dirt machines. It protects my investment, and keeps the resale value of my machines high. Never, ever, silicone your coil or spray it with truck bed liner. The new owner may not like that tattoo..

So does supermans X-ray vision. Still doesn't make it true ....just believable!
Well my machine paid for itself a few times and if I wear it out then so be it .
Oh I get it, you are the manufacturer of these coil rubbers.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Don't use them. Never will. Waste of money and time. Good luck taking them off. That's when you can damage something.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So does supermans X-ray vision. Still doesn't make it true ....just believable!
Well my machine paid for itself a few times and if I wear it out then so be it .
Oh I get it, you are the manufacturer of these coil rubbers.

you are mistaken or misinformed, I don't make or sell any equipment. I just know what I'm talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread