mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, the property I hunted has obviously been dozed & built up at one point. I think in the 70s. It is where a church sat in 1850. My thought is, detect at the edge of the clearing downhill from the marker in pic. there are 3 huge maples that haven't been disturbed for a long time. I didn't have my snake boots on or I would have checked it out. Do maples gain girth quickly? If they are post 1970 clearing how big could they be? There weren't any trees bigger in quite a large area. will have to get pics of trees. I like the look of the area below where the church sat.

Attachments

• old church.jpg
    old church.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 66

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you have an angle on it. You might do very well checking things out more. Good luck. HH

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do maples gain girth quickly?
I live well north of you, so not sure about the types of Maples that are indigenous to your area. Norway and Silver Maples can and do gain girth very quickly. About 15 years ago I took down 2 Silver Maples that were overwhelming a smallish property. The elderly couple informed me that they had purchased (@ Sears and Roebuck , no less) and planted these trees in 1954. They were each 3 1/2- 4 feet in diameter!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check the local historic society to see if they have any photos of the church. If so you can get an idea what the ground looked like then and what's changed over the years. You might also be able to spot trails that people used to go into the woods back then and locate those. You could find some good dump spots there. Generally if a spot has been filled, you want to look downhill at the original ground level, but keep in mind that fill had to come from somewhere so there could be good stuff to find in it.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but keep in mind that fill had to come from somewhere so there could be good stuff to find in it.

Roger that.
A few years ago my niece was spreading the fill which was brought in to level her back yard. She found some incredible arrowheads.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
good idea. will go to library & HS. thanx folks