Wishing I could see it

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondered how many of Tnet members let the past eat at them to the extreme. By this I mean wishing I could visualize the old homes on the sites I am finding much more than worrying simply about the recovery of relics and coins. Was it in agricultural fields or woods, how big was it, who lived there, what did they go through to get started in those days, how many kids, how did they generate income if any, it never stops. Seems like the last few years the puzzle of who it was and how did they live motivates me more than the actual finds. Going to the Property Accessors office today on one and really hoping to get age and size etc on the structure and then going to take the names on original deeds and go the genealogy research route ( have never done this before ) to find out more about those who first settled the area around where I make my home. You know it is getting bad when I have not even shot my bow and it is already well into our TN deer season. Gotta love it.:icon_scratch:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
OK TN, I think you need sustanance to proceed with your searchin. so get out there & get a deer! I'll be down for backstrap. Yes I find myself quite often just staring at the property wondering who they were, why there, etc. I love thinking about what the parties must have been like, what sunday suppers were, the joys & the sorrows they must have experienced. That is a big part of why I detect. I love history.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Personally, I don't care to waste my time looking up unneeded facts to achieve my goal of finding a cache. Sure it might be interesting if you are a history buff. I admit I did research my farm back 200 years, but that was personal. As far as treasure hunting is concerned, I only care about leaving with the cache, the rest just fades away. I guess it is completely different with relic hunters. In there case, the relic is tied to the situation. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn.....we sure do look at it differently. Don't get me wrong, I still get a thrill out of finding valuable objects, but what really trips my trigger is the fascination with the history. Kind of like you like chocolate and I like vanilla. The mechanics of what we do is similar, the motivation is different. You need a machine that makes gold and I need a time machine. We would both be happy campers. Might borrow your machine so I could hunt more....ha ha.:icon_thumleft:

K

Kentucky Kache

To me it's a combination of both the history and the treasure. I would much rather find a treasure that was buried way back, than to have someone give me an equal amount. It's the hunt, the history and the value that makes treasure hunting my thing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
TNGUNS, I get pleasure out of the research and hunt, but the "reward" makes my day. Now, can I borrow your time machine? Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 129

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to visualize places as they were long ago mainly because it gives me a sense of where people would have been doing things and losing stuff in the area. I'd say it can be very helpful to do that.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The better you know the past ,the better you know the people from the past.The better you know the people the better chance you have of figuring out the logic that they used and their habits.Information is power,the more you have the better off you are.

K

Kentucky Kache

The better you know the past ,the better you know the people from the past.The better you know the people the better chance you have of figuring out the logic that they used and their habits.Information is power,the more you have the better off you are.

I'm sure Farmer Chick will be along shortly to refute that statement.:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats ok Kentucky.Her comment are worth less than a wooden nickle to me and just as valuable.

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put Red.:icon_thumleft:

donroar

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Torrington CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with you on the thrill of the hunt. Many times, especially when I find an old silver coin, I wonder who the last person that held that coin was. I always think about what the loss of a quarter meant in 1908. I feel a strange connection to the people of the past through our mutual hobby. Maybe a little strange but hey...... this is the Treasure Net. I guess you have to be a little strange to go out digging holes for hours on end. HH

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Farmer Chick will be along shortly to refute that statement.:laughing7:

You better watch out vato or I'll teach farmer chick to do drive bys and she'll fire up her 1935 allis chalmers farm tractor, grab her red ryder and be lookin for your butt...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread