Craigslist Scams & important info for sellers using Paypal

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Heh! We are approaching the Christmas holidays. The Paypal/eBay/Craigslist scammers will be out in full force for the next few months. This is a predictable cycle for this time of year, every year. Good luck!

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
74 views and 2 responses. I don't think anyone cares, either that or the folks here are the scammers. So, you want to buy the Holy Grail? I only have 2 left.

pongo

May 6, 2009
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Whites
Sure was an eye opener about Paypal and their policy on local sales,never knew that.

Thanks for the info.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWS,

I read the link you posted, and what makes me suspicious, is the link the buyer posted for Paypal. I bet it is a fake site, the seller enters all his personal info, and you know the rest.

I've known a few people that have been scammed, and if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also never knew this about paypal. I've often considered using it for local sales, when the buyer wants to pay with a credit card versus cash. It hasn't happened often but still enough times that I was comfortable with it.

OP
OP
C

CWS

Jul 5, 2012
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure if I should link it or not, because it wasn't about coins or even treasure hunting. I just want other people to be aware of these types of scams so hopefully no one here posts about getting ripped off.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this scam before, In fact they almost got my mother..

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little off topic but not really:

Recently my Yahoo mail account was hacked and crap was sent out to my entire contact list. I cleaned my account list of people I didn't know. Then I got a response for something I was selling on Craigslist. I responded and immediately went to my contact list. Sure enough an unknown address was inserted. I quickly deleted it and never got a reply to my response. So, for whatever reason hackers are using Craigslist to access your email info.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The site is probably phony. PayPal has the "P" in capitals not paypal. PayPal also has a trademark in it's logo.
On Craigslist one clue to a possible scam is "I want what you are selling sight unseen" Then a story as to why.

onlyforthebrave

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PayPal is usually a reliable form of payment, but it's good to be aware of the qualifiers.

My Craigslist experience is more with regards to selling services, where I initially ask for a token amount to see if it's worth it to the person to pay or just go to the next would-be victim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread