worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I recall back in early 74 I didn't need to research,heck,there were Virgin sites everywhere,Fair Grounds,Ball Fields,Boy Scout Camps,all well know. Only met 2 people that Metal Detected,they got there fair share, my Father-in-law and I cleaned up big time, Gold and Silver abounded in all of them,pulltabs rang as a double blip on my old TR,dug a lot of them,but,I dug a lot of rings too!! Today one had better Research if you want the good Old stuff. I am always on the computer with old maps and google earth and it has paid off with real some cool finds. Guess them good old days are gone,still pull a nice keeper out of a pounded out area now and again though. God Bless Chris

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hit a few virgin spots, but they were at houses that weren't much older than 70 years. I did find some wheats and a silver dime though, as well as some interesting relics.

I do a fair amount of research to find good places to hunt, specifically virgin or not well known places. That can end in disappointment though. Like today, I hit an area of an old town where literally a whole city block was torn down within the last 10 years, houses dating back to the 1800s. Took me some time to track the owner of the property down, which ended up being the town (permission granted to detect!). I get there to detect, and am not finding much other than trash and modern coins. An old man who lives across the road stopped by to talk and to tell me the history of the area. Turns out the town brought in dirt and leveled out the old house sites a few years ago, then planted grass and have mowed it since. He said the ground had been raised much higher than it was, probably burying anything good to find.

Oh well, perhaps the next "virgin" place will work out.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
O, there are plenty of virgin spots, but of-course, you will never know for shore. I have shown them before, but they fit the topic. A virgin, 200 year old back yard, right in the center of town. After a couple of hours looking, one gold and ruby ring, a 200 year old ax head, an image on tin, a couple of brass oil tags, some clock parts. several pennies from the '40's, and the usual misc. hardware. Frank

Attachments

• ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 74
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 190
  • steeplechase 700-.jpg
    steeplechase 700-.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 77
  • oil tags 700-.jpg
    oil tags 700-.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 86

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an early 1800's home site that I am sure is virgin due to the number of penny buttons etc. just a few days ago. Very little of it easily huntable until the ground is turned but good potential. Don't have pics of last couple of hours finds, but still no coins. My G2 is allergic to coins I think. I did get a few musket balls, pieces of pewter spoon, and the ground is covered with porcelain and pottery pieces. Should be a few more on the property as well.
Aikman farm 002.JPG Aikman farm 015.JPG Aikman farm 016.JPG Aikman farm 022.JPG
arrowhead pepper patch 001.JPG arrowhead pepper patch 002.JPG arrowhead pepper patch 004.JPG arrowhead pepper patch 008.JPG arrowhead pepper patch 011.JPG arrowhead pepper patch 012.JPG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted a few over the years, but it's almost impossible now unless you are hunting private yards. Even then it's no guarantee.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hit a few bonanza sites including 2 older ballfields that gave up 40+ old silvers between them. Not that they were virgin sites, but that my detector had the leading edge that gave me a bit of a depth advantage over the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread