Restoration of old farm tool

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a cool looking 19th century broadax. The problem is, it looks like someone last century used it as a splitting wedge and got in over their head. The butt side was beat until it cracked at the hole for the handle. This thing is really cool looking and I was wondering if it was feasible to get a blacksmith to heat it up and beat it back into shape, or would it be too brittle after a 100 years of rust?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Broadax and hoe 2.jpg
    Broadax and hoe 2.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 258

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not going to use it to hew wood, I would leave it, as is. Clean it up and display with the crack. The crack tells a story since it probably would have made the broad ax useless and was discarded until you came along and found it after all those years.

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thought diggingintherain. I was thinking of displaying it with a handle, but fixing it would take away from its history. The handle hole is crushed from someone beating on it which, now that you mention it, gives it some style. Thanks!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some ideas of what you can do with that type of find. Frank

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 361
  • plow 700.jpg
    plow 700.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 145

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking as a amature blacksmith/bladesmith your axe could be forge welded and then re drifted to make it functional again. I am always on the fence about restorations I have a trade axe that came out of a dig on the lewis and clark trail and is of the style of the era I am loathe to reshape the edge where there is a chip/tear because of it's possible historical associations. I have many other tools recovered from old dumps and scrap piles that I have restored and use all the time.
so it is up to you nothing terribly unique about that style and if it was not found in a terribly historical setting I would probably fix it and use it, there is definately a different feel for me using old tools
Chris

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Speaking as a amature blacksmith/bladesmith your axe could be forge welded and then re drifted to make it functional again. I am always on the fence about restorations I have a trade axe that came out of a dig on the lewis and clark trail and is of the style of the era I am loathe to reshape the edge where there is a chip/tear because of it's possible historical associations. I have many other tools recovered from old dumps and scrap piles that I have restored and use all the time.
so it is up to you nothing terribly unique about that style and if it was not found in a terribly historical setting I would probably fix it and use it, there is definately a different feel for me using old tools
Chris
You must be a brother my Daddy failed to tell me about :headbang:Got the same skills and feelings for old tools .
Cringed at the picture of how some idiot damaged such a fine tool . I've restored several similary damaged and love working with them .

OP
OP
T

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Good ideas guys! I like the pics Frankn posted, and I also like the idea of getting to use it every now and then! It isn't an important historical site. I am running it through my electrolysis machine right now and will post what it "really" looks like when it is done. Winterbear, restoring it is still in my thoughts. Truckinbutch, I have every tool my father didn't want anymore, and a lot of the grandfather's tools on both sides of the family. It's just cool stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions