Is the Code of Ethics important ?

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
The Treasure hunter's code of Ethics are:

1. I WILL respect private property and do no treasure hunting without the owner's permission.

2. I WILL fill all excavations.

3. I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, & private property.

4. I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.

5. I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.

6. I WILL leave gates as found.

7. I WILL remove and properly dispose of any trash that I may find.

8. I WILL NOT litter.

9. I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings, or what is left of ghost towns & deserted structures

10. I WILL NOT tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

Metal Detecting code of Ethics are:

1. No leaving of holes and trash you dug up behind.

2. Always ask permission to hunt private land, and get it in writing if possible.

3. If you are asked to leave a place, just say, "Okay, sorry." and leave.

4. Avoid confrontation with the authorities at all costs.

5. Don't steal your friend's spots.

6. Abide by all state and local laws.

7. Use common sense and consideration for others when detecting.
Be responsible.

I think all the ethics hear should be followed if you have a metal detector in your hands.

Why is this so important to me, That's simple it's to protect the hobby for all the future MD'ers and TH'ers and so me and my son can injoy the hobby long time into the future.

Do you think the codes of ethics are important? why or why not?
HH, Don
_

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I have never seen anything in that list in all my years that is hard to understand or follow. Everything in it falls under two categories, being Respectful and Responsible. We've all grown up having certain rules and guidelines to follow, so how much simpler than those get.

T

TreasureTales

The Codes are absolutely important. To live by them is to ensure our treasure hunting opportunities remain intact for generations to come. Besides that, they are just good old common sense.

How would YOU feel if somebody was trespassing on YOUR land?
How would YOU feel if somebody dug holes and your kid or cow broke a leg in one?
How would YOU feel if you go to a park and somebody dug up old beer cans and just left them lying around?
How would YOU feel if you went on vacation to visit a ghost town and the place had been torn apart and sprayed with graffiti?
How would YOU feel if there were no places left to treasure hunt/metal detect/bottle dig/rockhound/artifact seek/etc because some selfish, thoughtless people before you didn't follow these simple and respectful codes?

It's not hard to follow these codes. In fact, to do otherwise will ruin this hobby for all the rest of us even if we aren't the perpetrators of the misdeeds.

Nuff said. Just do it!!!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Don! Just plain and simple common sense - all too many times, I've came upon a park and noticed where someone else had been their with their detector...open holes and divots all over the place. This just ruins it for everyone else and seals the fate for the younger generation.

Good Post and Welcome to Treasure Net!

N

nate1976

Its respect & common sense. People lack them these days! 8)

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
yup very important...glad you posted this for newbies who may not know of them.....its sad when you know someones been at a spot before you...holes ggrrrrrr,been told I don't know how many times no because some
hunter abused property.

thanks again

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Don
Welcome to TNet!! It's a great place with a lot of fantastic TH'ers and people.
I hope you enjoy your time here!

Your list is great! It's all about being a good ambassador for the hobby we love,
otherwise laws will be made and enforced forbidding us to hunt on public property.
There are already a lot of places that this has occurred.

Here's another way to be a good ambassador.

Take every opportunity to teach the younger generation how to treasure hunt.

When the youngsters follow you around and are interested in what you are dooing (I think we all have had this happen) let them swing the detector and "find" something. Tell them about the code of ethics and demonstrate it for them while sharing our hobby.

If everyone did this regularly , instead of being annoyed when a youngster "gets in our way" or disrupts our hunting, we would have a large group of future threasure hunters that have been shown the correct way to doo things. This in turn, will help further our hobby in the future and maybe protect it from legislation.

Nice post Don!

Smiles!
BDoo

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain

OP
OP
Don11971

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thank you all for your warm welcome!

It's nice to see that so many of you feel that a code of ethics is important. I think it is the least we can do for this hobby. Unfortunately there are some that do not follow the code and leave us with damage control. To trespass on private property is not just wrong, it's illegal.
So, if you find good stuff when trespassing, for example gold and sliver coins, would that be stealing? I know I would rather be md'ing than filling some body else's holes.

HH, Don

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense to act like a human being. We must police ourselves or "they'll do it for us."

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What great response to an important issue. It's like going camping and having a bunch of loud, inconsiderate drunks disrupting a good late night campfire. One self-centered person can ruin an otherwise pleasurable experience for many. Ethics are not LAWS, but standards that are created as a common goal for all to abide by. These are created due to negative results that has happened in the past.

But even though ethics are used to promote a positive, some people just don't care, and that makes it harder on those that do care. We not only need to police ourselves, but others also.

Good post.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Code of Ethics is very important to follow. It is common sense consideration for society and the metal detecting hobby.

Huntin' 59er

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
It all boils down to "Respect" for your fellow man (or woman :-*) and his/her property. To get permission from someone to hunt their property and then leave it in a mess is a NO-NO, after they were kind enough to let you have a great day md'ing. Shame on those who do that.
Last time I was at Galveston Beach digging I spent nearly 20 minutes of my dig time following a couple around and filling in their holes. The man finally came up to me as they were leaving and said that it was stupid of me to do that because the winds and tides would fill the hole back in. >:( @%#*^":@ was my thought, but what came out of my mouth was, "But we have a Code of Ethics we follow, you should try it next time". :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread