Saving your finds during tough times

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't be the only one feeling the effects of this economy, and sometimes you have to make choices when bills come in. I've regretfully sold some of my finds(silver) but sometimes you just can't.
Recently I got(for almost nothing) a beautiful 112 year old gold coin and being behind in everything there comes a time when you have to draw the line.
As bad as things are I plan to hold on to this until I'm about dead from starving. I hope to save it and leave it to one of the kids, plus I would think the value of it is only going up. I regret selling some of my silver but getting this coin kinda made up for it. I'll soon post the story on how I got it, it's a good one.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell your coins in a coin auctions because most coin dealers are thieves.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Sam coin auction are where you get the most for the coins value. sometimes independant collectors give you the most if it is something they need for there collection also. I know about tough time I build house and am a proffessional painter so I almost have to always sell my finds unless like now we are building a new home HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree do not sell at auction. They take 25 to 40% of the final sell. Usually the people there that is buying the coins is paying melt price anyway. Check around you will get a decent price for your coins if you look.

OP
OP
DIGDIG

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people using Ebay are paying crazy money for anything gold and silver, I sold them there. For instance a jewler(that also buys gold and silver) told me my gold coin was worth about $200, on Ebay they usually sell for $275.-325.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain...it feels like nobody wants to hire experienced workers right now...they'd rather have kids fresh out of school for pennies on the dollar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread