Treasure Hunter Finds 80 Pounds Of Emeralds.... Government Does What It Does Best.

Watchman

Greenie
Jun 24, 2012
Kings Mountain, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Coinmaster Classic III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter Discovers Thousands of Emeralds, But Lives the Life of a Pauper; Here's Why | Ben David Jewelers

Treasure Hunter Discovers Thousands of Emeralds, But Lives the Life of a Pauper; Here’s Why

Written by Ben David Jewelers
Posted April 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

An amateur treasure hunter who’s recovered tens of thousands of uncut emeralds deep in the Gulf waters off Florida’s west coast, is living the life of a pauper – $10 million in debt, sleeping in a bunk bed in his friend’s spare room and years away from cashing in on the bounty.

This is the bizarre story of Jay Miscovich, a retired doctor and thrill seeker, who purchased a treasure map from a diver friend for $500 and eventually netted a treasure trove of more than 65,000 uncut emeralds said to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. His story was the subject of a segment on Sunday night’s installment of “60 Minutes.”

Armen Keteyian reported that, on the surface, the story seems too good to be true: amateur treasure hunter bags one of the largest discoveries of sunken treasure in history. But this is where the fairy tale starts to break down. Miscovich made his discovery in 2010 and since then has be embroiled in legal battles with investors, other treasure hunters and the U.S. government.

During the CBS segment, Miscovich poured out a laundry basket full of emeralds, about 30 pounds of the 80 pounds already recovered. Unfortunately for the treasure hunter, he may not sell a single specimen until the legal wrangling has been settled.

Although Miscovich believes the emeralds were from an ancient shipwreck, new evidence is pointing to a much different scenario. A company that was looking to market Miscovich’s emeralds sent a few dozen to Europe for special testing. They learned that some of the gems had been treated with a jeweler’s polish or epoxy, a technique first developed about 50 years ago to routinely enhance the brightness of emeralds.

Marine archeologist Duncan Mathewson told “60 Minutes” that some of Miscovich’s emeralds were scattered near the metal beams of a merchant ship that sunk during World War II. Mathewson researched the ship’s manifest, but emeralds weren’t listed as an official cargo.

Miscovich’s lawyer argued to a federal court judge in Key West that Miscovich should maintain temporary custody of everything he finds, but it could be years before the court awards full ownership.

With investor interest completely dried up, the treasure hunter is currently about $10 million in debt and is living in his dive partner’s spare room and sleeping in a kid-sized bunk bed with his feet hanging over the edge.

How’s that for an American rags-to-riches to rags story?

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuff like that makes one think about not even reporting a find, then sell the stuff at some foreign country...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, don't talk about anything significant that you find. Sell it quietly for a discount and enjoy the money you get from it.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a lot more to this story, despite Mr. Miscovich's claims.
More info can be found if you poke around the Shipwrecks Forum.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
How often do i say on tnet here that if you tell or show what you find you are a idiot or a nut case.....Or your ego is bigger than your brains.........

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I don't know the whole story so my opinion has no bearing on the facts BUT my career cop backround smells a scam. It is only an opinion but I think the "finder" of the emeralds tried to scam some investers into buying some stuff at much more than actual value. GREED! Let's see what happens. If a ligitimate case, he should get his due.... if not ligitimate.... he should get his due! TTC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I don't know the whole story so my opinion has no bearing on the facts BUT my career cop backround smells a scam. It is only an opinion but I think the "finder" of the emeralds tried to scam some investers into buying some stuff at much more than actual value. GREED! Let's see what happens. If a ligitimate case, he should get his due.... if not ligitimate.... he should get his due! TTC
.... The trouble with that Terry is cops don't think like normal people.......... They think every one is a crook................ But to come right down to it your brothers in blue or cops are the biggest crooks out there...............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't group all into one....You can't say police are crooked anymore than you can say truck drivers are crooked, plumbers are crooked or electricians are crooked... There are a few bad apples in every group, you can't judge all by a few.....................

Remember we have members who are police active and retired...

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have met extremely good cops, my neighbor, and extremely bad cops that lied under oath. I think they run with the population at about 10% bad. Frank
Watch out for the 10%!!

Attachments

• HAVRE DE GRACE 013-3.jpg
    HAVRE DE GRACE 013-3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 186
S

stefen

You can't group all into one....You can't say police are crooked anymore than you can say truck drivers are crooked, plumbers are crooked or electricians are crooked... There are a few bad apples in every group, you can't judge all by a few.....................

And remember too, that we have members who are crooks, both active and retired...

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother-in-law lives down that way and has followed this story. He says the locals say it's a scam. No details provided.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes TH that is true but you read so much about Cops lying and stealing and beating some one's head in..... It seems like that you see it in the news all the time now.................... I know a few good cops my uncle was the top cop back in the town i was raised in .....In central Pa. when i was growing up.............. he was a honest cop............. It's hard to find to many honest people now a days..........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have met extremely good cops, my neighbor, and extremely bad cops that lied under oath. I think they run with the population at about 10% bad. Frank
Watch out for the 10%!!
Yes sir Frankn.... watch out for them 10% they are real trouble.........My self i just don't trust cop's any more...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Don't come down too hard on Keppy..... he is. in a sense, right. BUT the % of bad cops is much lower than society in general. And their "sense" of bad is different. Stealing from a pimp is ok.... from an old woman, will get you shot by the cop. Messing with a cop's family....daughter, is a death sentance. I can pull the trigger on a human being ( in Vietnam) without batting an eyelash, yet find it hard to draw a bead on a squirril. And the nightmares still come most nights! This thread can fill VOLUMES of phsyc books! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread