Deer hunting in Pa.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The interesting question is... Did you see any deer? I only saw 2 doe the whole day.

OP
OP
kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 at 6:45 am....& this is a place that I used to see 50+....12-15 years ago!Exactly the reason I wont be purchasing a hunting license next year....Hoping someday they fix the deer herd problem in Pa.!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kayden said:
1 at 6:45 am....& this is a place that I used to see 50+....12-15 years ago!Exactly the reason I wont be purchasing a hunting license next year....Hoping someday they fix the deer herd problem in Pa.!

Sounds like they did.

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They were out in the big field Monday am I didn't hear a shot all day.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems the deer always know when opening day is..... been that way for a long, long time.
Not here in Pa. There are no deer left. I took a photo in the mid 70's, on the first day of deer season which shows 17 vehicles. Yesterday, I was the only one hunting in that area. No deer. No hunters. Last year on a 4 sq. mile private hunting club where members are supposed to report their kill, only had 6 deer killed in 2 weeks of hunting.

OP
OP
kayden

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is something else.....Did yah notice hardly any gunshots...I remember back 10-15 years when all day long gunshots rang out all through the hillside!
The only way it will ever change is if the hunters do something about it & that is buy a Doe license & throw it in the garbage...But you know that wont happen

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lumber Industry wants the numbers redused to prevent over browsing on seedlings they plant for future harvests. Until we can out spend that industry , they influence the rules . PGC claims they need a hike in licence fees . Not surprised , there are fewer & fewer hunters every year . The cost to participate and process a deer and hope you don't break one or more of the EVER CHANGING NEW RULES and recieve a hefty fine , you can purchace a heck of alot of beef & chicken from a local farmer wrapped already to cook . I spend alot of my time in the outdoors reguardless if I'm hunting or not . The PGC is going to price itself right out of many outdoorsmens budgets for families that have 4 or more hunters . At some point we all look at money & time spent per meat in the freezer . JMHO

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Come to Texas. The damm things are everywhere. Youtube-San Antonio Urban Monster Bucks. Check it out. Short video.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted for 1 day!

Hunting license...20 dollars

Box of shells......24 dollars

Rifle & outerwear..500 dollars

Metal detecting all year long ....PRICELESS!

We have little black tail deer locally. $20 hunting license, $20 deer tag, $75 dollars for gas driving up into the woods, and it takes several trips and you still might not fill your tag, but if you do get one, unless you do it your self, costs $80 for processing, and the reward is around 30 pounds of meat. Doesn't pencil out worth a hoot. Lions are protected, so they are eating the the deer and elk, and elk's an additional $40 tag with little chance of getting one. Now they are protecting the wolves moving in from Idaho, so hunting in Oregon is going from bad to worse, so it's costing more and more for less and less.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then you don't eat any wild game do you?
That is true, I do not. But, people should kill and eat deer, because if there are too many of them, many will die of hungry, including when there is snow on the ground.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have plenty here in TN fortunately. First season in years that I have not taken a good buck by now (excluding a couple I was unable to hunt). I have seen several but nothing mature enough to harvest. Will admit I spent much of the time I usually deer scout metal detecting. Ha ha....go figure. Took a doe last Sunday and we have been eating like a pack of coyotes on it. Smoked a ham Tuesday and used a new recipe for barbecue sauce. Shred it just like pork or beef barbecue and it is awesome. Found a good buck from the sign last Friday but man it is a hump getting back in there. Will have to call national guard for airlift if I get him. Good luck to the rest of the deer hunters and the rest of you are not allowed to metal detect until deer season is over. Causes undue stress on us seeing the finds and heading to the woods without a detector.:icon_thumleft:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years of hunting in many states = 1 buck , 1 turkey good thing i can fish

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're on the subject, has anyone eaten porcupine? I've chowed down on a lot of different wild game, but never porcupine. Now I've been told the are good eating. Any one have experience on this. And by the way, I only saw one doe yesterday while hunting in the former great deer hunting state of Pennsylvania.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're on the subject, has anyone eaten porcupine? I've chowed down on a lot of different wild game, but never porcupine. Now I've been told the are good eating. Any one have experience on this. And by the way, I only saw one doe yesterday while hunting in the former great deer hunting state of Pennsylvania.

no,lions love em.....................I have ate Beaver though..........

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, when I was trapping, I would eat the muskrats I caught. They are very, very good eating. I used to catch them in brook streams you could almost jump across. They have disappered as have the deer. Down south they sell muskrats in restuarants as "marsh rabbits".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread