Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't Forget Your Dog

My friend and I along with his dog Mountain Girl were doing some meteorite hunting in mountains near my home. He asked me "What direction are you heading. I said West. He said "My compass says East." So we stopped for lunch.
In between peanut butter sandwiches I thought there might be magnetic loadstone in the area to explain the compass problem. After puzzling a bit his dog, Mountain Girl got up, walked maybe 30 feet, turned around and looked back and waited. With no better plan we followed her. Within a few minutes we got our bearings and continued on.
Not saying we might still be there. Just saying some animals seem to have a knack for knowing what's happening.
Later I did find that loadstone had in fact been mined there long ago.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking your dog is a good idea for multiple reasons. First the dog gets to get out and exercise. But more to my liking your dog will hear and smell things long before you do. They can alert you to dangers be they animal or human. You don't want to be out detecting and get surprised by Billy Joe Gee Bob because you got to close to his still or wild wood weed.

DHaze

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you take extra samwiches and pet 1st aid kit.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take your dog because he is your best friend, and appreciate being part of your day.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
marter than most think. Mine remembers every trail that he has ever been on. He is my ears. He hears every sound and smells every sent. He has no fear. He is a pit bull. When I walk trails, he scouts ahead for danger and lets me know if there is a problem. When a deer was surprised and charged me he butted it with his head. Pit bulls usually butt with there heads rather than bite. It's like getting hit with a baseball bat. He looks out for me and I look out for him. were are partners. Frank

P.S. he took over where Gracie left off!

Attachments

• Gracie and friend.jpg
    Gracie and friend.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 92

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread