Is this the side of the trash pit?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I am currently digging a very large trash pit and I am close to 6-7 feet down and am hitting clay on one side and it is very hard and almost wont penetrate even with my probe. Would that be one end of the dump site or should I beat my way through the hard clay and find more treasures? The fun part is going to be shoveling about 3 feet of fill dirt and broken glass out of the pit into buckets and into the dirt pile.. lots of work so hopefully it pays off with some cool glass

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
MrSchulz said:
I am currently digging a very large trash pit and I am close to 6-7 feet down and am hitting clay on one side and it is very hard and almost wont penetrate even with my probe. Would that be one end of the dump site or should I beat my way through the hard clay and find more treasures? The fun part is going to be shoveling about 3 feet of fill dirt and broken glass out of the pit into buckets and into the dirt pile.. lots of work so hopefully it pays off with some cool glass

You will know the end when you see it.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the clay would be the bottom of the pit. Be carefull it dont cave in on you. It dont take much dirt to pin you down.
Years ago I was at my dads house and a guy came looking for his son. My younger brother told him his son was up the road digging a tunnel.
I took of running up the hill and I could see his legs sticking out in the road and a pile of dirt on his back and head completly covering him. It didnt look like a hole lot of dirt but it was enough to pin him down. I grabed both his legs and pulled him out. He had a big smile on his face and I'm shure if his father hadnt came looking when he did the boy wouldnt be alive today. And dont leave a big hole for some other kid who might be playing around in the dump or little kids because less than a foot of ponding water can drowned a child. There clothes get wet and they arent strong enough to get up.
Be carefull and make it safe for others.
roger

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the clay would be the bottom of the pit. Be carefull it dont cave in on you. It dont take much dirt to pin you down.
Years ago I was at my dads house and a guy came looking for his son. My younger brother told him his son was up the road digging a tunnel.
I took of running up the hill and I could see his legs sticking out in the road and a pile of dirt on his back and head completly covering him. It didnt look like a hole lot of dirt but it was enough to pin him down. I grabed both his legs and pulled him out. He had a big smile on his face and I'm shure if his father hadnt came looking when he did the boy wouldnt be alive today. And dont leave a big hole for some other kid who might be playing around in the dump or little kids because less than a foot of ponding water can drowned a child. There clothes get wet and they arent strong enough to get up.
Be carefull and make it safe for others.
roger

I'm a big dude, 6 3 315 lbs bench 175 and squat 285. Haven't had many cave ins just a few tiny ones. After about two feet in I cave them in intentionally (sometimes turning up bottles above me) and shovel it all out again. Still have about 3 feet of fill dirt from fox holes I caved in the other day I gotta scoop out than ill be about 6 feet down total. Lot of work but I really think if I keep digging digging digging more hutchinsons will come along (dug 2 now)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions