bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Started detecting about 20 years ago just as an excuse to get out of the house for exercise and to destress from a pretty hectic work environment....doing mostly coin shooting in local green spaces in my town.

I did have some success but at least 2 guys that I'm aware of started about 10 years before me and did a pretty good job at the obvious sites....that said I was getting mostly clad a bit of modern silver and a few large cents but no great success.

As the finds kept getting thinned out I had to keep dropping the discrimination lower and lower to manage enough targets to keep me busy.....dug way more junk than before but did manage a few keepers for my efforts.....some of the gold rings the missus has stashed and there's some more men's rings somewhere or other that I forget where I put them....

It's out there you just have to get your coil over the keepers.....keep the faith.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 126

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW those are nice i definitley need to dig more pulltab signals

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sonofadigger,

Well what gave me the bug to lower the discrimination is that I follow beach, relic and green space detectorists finds....
I get bored easily....lol and decided to take the same approach as them....they tend to pretty much dig anything from foil on up....whereas a lot of green space hunters coin shoot and leave the mid/low range targets behind.

That's where most of the gold, old buttons and relics if your sites have a bit of age ring up as....it's worth a shot.

Regards + HH

Bill

WOW those are nice i definitley need to dig more pulltab signals

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, I hate pull tabs ....................

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet rings!!

What machine are you swinging?

Im going to have to start digging more crap signals... I have been trying to dig more, but I get lazy sometimes... lol

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread makes a good point. I started detecting with a BFO detector. I made a lot of good finds with that thing including a delicate gold chain with locket and a dozen or so rings. That's in addition to the coins. I dug every target simply because there was no other option and yep, I brought home a bunch of trash. As technology progressed I tried to keep up, buying newer and ever more expensive detectors. Sure enough, I brought home less trash but it finally dawned on me that I wasn't finding rings anymore. Maybe someday they will come out with a machine that will reliably discriminate out trash and show us only the good stuff but until then your best bet is to set the discrimination low and accept that you are going to haul home lots of pull tabs. I console myself with the fact that pull tabs are aluminum so I throw them into the box with the aluminum cans and sell them all to the recycler.

Storm

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Infowarrior,

My everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon....single tone....it has a screen which I tend to ignore most of the time and pretty much dig all the repeatable signals....even the scratchy or broken ones....most of them are trash as you'd expect....but a few keepers pop up for your troubles.

Regards + HH

Bill

Those are some sweet rings!!

What machine are you swinging?

Im going to have to start digging more crap signals... I have been trying to dig more, but I get lazy sometimes... lol

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stormrider1951
user-offline.png

Yeah.....I had another reality check about 10 years ago......on one of the Canadian forums a young fellow had picked up a Garrett Groundhawg Deepseeker analog machine for something like $25.00 at a garage sale....it didn't have a manual with it so this guy basically just turned it on and dug everything that beeped from iron on up....lol.

After 3 months he posted up some pictures of his finds hitting inner city parks in Montreal that I'm sure were cherry picked by other detectorists before him.

He had something like $350 in clad...silver coins....gold and silver jewelry, old buttons, relics, etc.....I managed to track down the manual online to help him out....he said no thanks I'm doing pretty good without it.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

This thread makes a good point. I started detecting with a BFO detector. I made a lot of good finds with that thing including a delicate gold chain with locket and a dozen or so rings. That's in addition to the coins. I dug every target simply because there was no other option and yep, I brought home a bunch of trash. As technology progressed I tried to keep up, buying newer and ever more expensive detectors. Sure enough, I brought home less trash but it finally dawned on me that I wasn't finding rings anymore. Maybe someday they will come out with a machine that will reliably discriminate out trash and show us only the good stuff but until then your best bet is to set the discrimination low and accept that you are going to haul home lots of pull tabs. I console myself with the fact that pull tabs are aluminum so I throw them into the box with the aluminum cans and sell them all to the recycler.

Storm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread