Is anybody using the 9x12 coil on the ACE 250?

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about getting a 9x12 coil for mine, I'm still swinging the little one that came with it. you always read on here that a lot of people go for the bigger ones and can't get into the smaller spaces with them, etc. Anyone have any input on this one?

HH,
Ramapirate

ps People seem to have clammed up on me when I asked about a place to hunt in Charleston, S.C.
I share my spots, not that I've found any super great spots, but I let people tag along wherever I hunt. I figure the more the merrier. Get five or six guys swinging different detectors with different techniques at the same time more stuff gets found.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I don't have much to add except that I'm probably as eager to hear about this subject. I was considering getting the Pro package so that I could have that 9x12 coil. Got the regular deal instead. My biggest question is wether it will give you an extra inch or two on coins. I can already see its limitations in trashy areas though. If I get a reasonable selling price on this fishing reel that I'm putting up on Ebay ($169 new), I will probably get it just to give it a try.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Waiting until the 25th to see how the 250 works (Santa's DYING to see that thing in action), so can't help with the 9x12 issue................I feel you on the hunting thing, too. What, are they SCARED you and your 250 are gonna find something that's been buried for 150-250 years, and they won't? Come on guys, where's the love?

Ramapirate, if you ever are in Clarksville, TN, I'll TAKE you to ALL of my spots, and let you choose where to hunt. The stuff's been there for over a century, so it's not like it's MINE.

Oh, I know all the arguements: I did the research; I did the leg work; it's mine, mine, mine!!!

Whatever.

Getting back to the subject of your post, why don't you ask Santa for the coil, and take it back to some of the places you've already hit with your smaller coil, and let us know? Only problem is the whole Santa thing, I suppose. Oh well.

Merry Christmas, and I hope you get into a great spot in Carolina.

Roger

Had to modify......mispelled "Getting"

tnredneck

Dec 11, 2006
Paris, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Ramjet2187,

I just purchased the 9 x 12 coil for my ace250 and i have used it a time or two for about a half hour each time so i cant give you a lot of info but it seems to be a little more stable but one drawback is the center of the coil is larger so the problem with locating just got a little larger. I can't elaborate with as little time as i have spent with it but soon i should know. I think it has to be a good investment though!!!

tnredneck

Summerville Joe

Aug 24, 2006
South Carolina
Hi Ramapirate,
Just wanted to let you know i didn't clam up on you. i'm sorry i didn't respond. You indicated that you were looking for civil war etc sites and all I've ever done here is beach detecting. I am due to receive my new Ace 250 this Friday and plan on getting into LAND detecting. When I get the hang of it I'll let you know. Keep in touch.

Summerville Joe

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't have the 9x12 yet but check out www.ghosttowns.com click on the U.S. map then your state see if you can find any ghost town there

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
I put the 9x12 on mine a while back and its staying on. I hardly notice the size or weight difference and I get a couple more inches in depth. The day I put it on I hit a lot I had pounded before and came away with a hand full of wheats and a merc I had passed over before. That sold me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread