Getting Schooled (a machine question)

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, Just looking for a little in put here. Back Story first. I have been hunting a civil war site here in Central Va for the past couple times out. The ground here is sand and everything for the most part comes out looking great (Eagle buttons are kinda falling apart but the are everywhere I think). Also everything here is deep. In fact it is the deepest I have ever seen. My partner is hunting with a old Nautilus that pulling bullets at 15+ inches this is no joke. My e-trac can't even get a scratch of a signal on these bullets. So far he has dug 35 bullets to my 8.
So I guess Im in the market for another machine? Any ideas as where to start? I'm okay with my e-trac for trash and anything from 1 to 12 inches. But I need something deep. I dont know really what this post is about other than I have never run in to this. Any ideas on a deep machine Im open to all brands.
Thanks for reading
ynp

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the blisstool on youtube. There are a couple videos with a pi and a couple others and it more than holds its own.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tdi pro from white's, it will put the nautilus were it belongs in the back of the class....all though
i heard they were deep machines those nautiluses, smoked an etrac , there that deep. ha

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Vaquero with the big 10X12 coil? Just a thought!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, Just looking for a little in put here. Back Story first. I have been hunting a civil war site here in Central Va for the past couple times out. The ground here is sand and everything for the most part comes out looking great (Eagle buttons are kinda falling apart but the are everywhere I think). Also everything here is deep. In fact it is the deepest I have ever seen. My partner is hunting with a old Nautilus that pulling bullets at 15+ inches this is no joke. My e-trac can't even get a scratch of a signal on these bullets. So far he has dug 35 bullets to my 8.
So I guess Im in the market for another machine? Any ideas as where to start? I'm okay with my e-trac for trash and anything from 1 to 12 inches. But I need something deep. I dont know really what this post is about other than I have never run in to this. Any ideas on a deep machine Im open to all brands.
Thanks for reading
ynp

Try one of these first Metal Detector Search Coils For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too was walked all over by a buddy using the big coil on a Tesoro Tejon.....to the point I broke down and got one.We never take the big coil off,and I will tell you,there are not a whole lot of machines that will match its depth ability,a three ringer at 15+" is not in any way out of the question

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Forget the big coil and expensive detectors. Just pick up a used White Surfmaster PI. I have picked up small sinkers at 18 to easily, and it has a 9.5" coil. Keep your other detector for park type use. The PI is raw power. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the big coil and expensive detectors. Just pick up a used White Surfmaster PI. I have picked up small sinkers at 18 to easily, and it has a 9.5" coil. Keep your other detector for park type use. The PI is raw power. Frank

View attachment 720499

JFI,The "Big coil",is no bigger than the 9.5,and a Tejon is cheaper than a PI

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kuger, the 9.5 is the stock coil on the Surf PI and I said USED. Mine is 12 years old and still going as new. Never had a problem. Picks up fine gold chains also. Just my personal experience I was trying to pass on. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right....and my Tejon with the coil ,was $450 to my door.......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I guess you get what you pay for, right! I guess that is why you got that one. Frank

rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an 8" Sand Shark in farm fields when I want to reach down and touch stuff at 18". I just ordered a 10.5".

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, (bickering aside Frankn and Kugeryou guys really dont like each other) Thanks for all the help. First I think I'm going to try a borrow a friend's TDI that he doesnt use. Its is the cheapest option. This place has a ton of trash but you can just kick it off the top and everything else is deep. I also didnt think about the water machine. I like the big coil idea and have been thinking of getting one. Has anyone ever used one in the woods?? Also any hints on setting up a TDI?? I have never done it before.
Thanks again
ynpto804

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry would you use your Sand Shark over your GPX for depth??

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Blisstool with 15" coil will blow away your buddies Nautilus. And with all due respect to the PI machines that are mentioned it will reach PI depth but will also discriminate out iron. Tons of video at: BlisstoolUSA - YouTube
Thanks.

Thanks for reading
ynp

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, (bickering aside Frankn and Kugeryou guys really dont like each other) Thanks for all the help. First I think I'm going to try a borrow a friend's TDI that he doesnt use. Its is the cheapest option. This place has a ton of trash but you can just kick it off the top and everything else is deep. I also didnt think about the water machine. I like the big coil idea and have been thinking of getting one. Has anyone ever used one in the woods?? Also any hints on setting up a TDI?? I have never done it before.
Thanks again
ynpto804

:icon_scratch: There are a few on here I have no lost love for,but none are on this thread!Especially Frankn!!!His post is true as any

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time you take the E-trac out lower the manual sencsitivity to 2 in all metal mode and see what you come up with and let us know.

roger

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you take the E-trac out lower the manual sencsitivity to 2 in all metal mode and see what you come up with and let us know.

roger

Rodger- Why would I do that? I have never hear of anything like this before. Would you mind explaining?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read it on here somewhere and tried it out myself.

There is a curb across the streat that I detected a few times with the DFX and never found any coins.

Than I got the Etrac and went over it a few times and never found any coins.

One day on here I read about lowering the sensitivity in high trashy areas. This area is full of coal slag and nails.

I went back and set the manual sensitivity to 2. Only than was I able to pick up the tones where there was coins. I dug 4 or 5 silver coins and a bunch a wheat cents and there depth was around 5 inches. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread