Ban detecting

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carlisle Borough Council votes against ban on metal detectors
By Lauren McLane | Special to PennLive
on January 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM
View/Post Comments
A failed effort to ban the use of metal detectors could spur guidelines for this hobby in Carlisle.

Borough Council on Jan. 10 voted unanimously against a motion to have the borough solicitor draft and advertise an ordinance to prohibit the use of metal detectors in the borough’s parks.

“Why are we doing this? I feel this is a solution to a problem we don’t have,” Council Member Matt Madden said before the vote.

Borough Manager Matt Candland said that since staff could see liabilities associated with metal detectors, they thought it best to ban in.

Jeff Farr, of Mount Holly Springs, said he had sparked a debate over metal detectors in the first place.

He said he had called the borough expecting to be told to get a permit, as state parks require, or that only certain parks were open to metal detecting.

“I’ve seen people doing it here. I was just trying to follow the rules,” he said.

Council Member Tim Scott said he hoped staff would work with Fair and the Parks and Recreation Committee to draft guidelines.

Robin Guido, chairman of the borough’s parks and recreation committee, made the motion.

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Yip, when city/state is concerned, I believe if you dig for permission deep enough you'll find a bid fat shiny NO at the bottom, or get people ignorant to this hobby thinking a little too much.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom (CA- Kinzli's), time to chime in on what you ALWAYS say about folks who "try and do the right thing".

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People digging to hard for an answer whdn nobody woulda said a word.
If its public property just MD it till they tell u no.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just agenda 21 trying to get kicked into gear folks,nothing to see here move along.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever heard the phrase, "Let a sleeping dog lie"?

WoofWoof

Greenie
Apr 28, 2012
Gettysburg
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT Pro, Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I consulted my attorney once on the subject of MD'ing. Her answer was that unless it's specifically banned, it is then allowed. An example would be a park says "no alcohol" so do you need permission to drink water? Of course not, if they ban camping that doesn't mean you can't have a picnic.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it isn't posted no detecting or you can't pull up a law for your city using google then detect and stop asking people if it is okay. Do you ask if you can throw a frisbe?

If someone feels they have to go to the top city officials to ask permission then find another hobby. you want succeed at this one...

OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
If it isn't posted no detecting or you can't pull up a law for your city using google then detect and stop asking people if it is okay. Do you ask if you can throw a frisbe?

If someone feels they have to go to the top city officials to ask permission then find another hobby. you want succeed at this one...

Like the old saying loose lips sink ships

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to say this with as much tact and grace that I can muster. STOP ASKING FOR PERMISSION!

In public areas that is.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wow, great responses already guys. Most everyone here saw this key part of the article, indicating the evolution:

"Jeff Farr, of Mount Holly Springs, said he had sparked a debate over metal detectors in the first place..... He said he had called the borough expecting to be told to get a permit, as state parks require, or that only certain parks were open to metal detecting ........ I've seen people doing it here. I was just trying to follow the rules"

Do you see folks? Here's a point-blank case of all the key ingredients: a) a place where detecting goes on, and no one cares. b) there is apparently no laws or rules against it (as evidenced by the subsequent later thought to INVENT such a rule) c) yet someone calls to ask: "can I metal detect?" (thinking that's the "right thing" to do, since he's read about "permits" and "off-limits places" in scary stories elsewhere. Then d) PRESTO! bureaucrats need to answer his "pressing question". They realize there's a lack of specific rule for this activity that "has liabilities" and "needs guidelines", so guess what?

For those of you who have called me a "troll" on the subject, isn't a story like this making it perfectly clear to you yet? It has all the components of what I've been saying for years now. Yet no doubt, when someone new comes on and reads stories .... ironically like this one .... what's the first thing they will do? (spurred on by other people's posts by the way advising them to do exactly this) : they run to desk-bound bureaucrats, wherever they are, to "make sure". See the vicious circle?

Last edited:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission." - sage advice from a military vet

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet there are people who are just too dense to ever understand the vast seperation between asking permission to hunt PRIVATE property, and asking permission for PUBLIC property where it is not already banned.

OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Jeff Farr will know better the next time

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Maybe Jeff Farr will know better the next time

I have been hoping (and harping) for a long time, that all the "jeff farr's" of the md'ing world will wise up to this self-fulfilling loop. But ironically, it's scary stories like this (potential rules, off-limits places, etc...) that actually CONJUR up more grovelling stories like this. Then newbies like Jeff see the far-off-places with "rules", thus only bringing out MORE skittish people like themselves to also go grovel at their own city halls. And ........ you see the vicious circle. They don't seem to realize, that it's their very ASKING often-times, that is bringing about the big-red-bullseye, TO BEGIN WITH.

So yes, let this be a lesson to all such future Jeff's, to look up any potential rules yourself. If there's no rules in print specifically saying "no metal detectors" (on the list of park's or city rules...), then PRESTO, there's your answer. No need to ask live persons "can I do such & such?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim of PA

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If they make Local Park off limits to tectin, its because they dont want a bunch of MD hacks tearing up the beautiful green turf. Nobody wants that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread