All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I'm looking to pick up my first md. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I would like to spend around 3-4 hundred.
I am wanting to hunt old homesites. I would like a md more user friendly to a wooded environment. I will be hiking in to all of these location.
Maybe there is something ideal for me.

Thanks

a used 6000 di pro. is a good all around machine. Or if you want something a little deeper, with more expanded tonal TID (yet with a longer learning curve) you can probably pick up a used Explorer II in that price range.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the new White's Coinmaster GT. It is nice and light and is packed with lots of features. You can't beat White's service if you ever need it. Priced at $ 399.95 at your local dealer or online.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landlord Jim said:
Get the new White's Coinmaster GT. It is nice and light and is packed with lots of features. You can't beat White's service if you ever need it. Priced at $ 399.95 at your local dealer or online.

Nothing against what people have recomended, but dont buy something just because someone says it is good. Talk to owners of different brands and models and see what they use theirs for, what they liie and dislike about it. Find a local club and go talk to those people ad pick up and try their detector.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing i forgot to suggest. If you are still not sure after talking to people, look at buying a used on. At least you can start without spending the money on a brand new one. You can use the used detector and learn with that to start.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a hard look at the Garrett Ace 250 on E-bay at under $200-even as low as $150 -good for the wife or kids if you decide to upgrade//

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advise is to take a field trip to the nearest metal detector shop - lots of them out there. You need to try a few and get their feel and sound. The price of gas, regardless of how far you have to drive is undoubtedly cheaper than getting the wrong detector. And you should be aware that the "no risk guarantee" that most online dealers offer has a whole lot of risk to it. Read the fine print and see that in order to get a full return refund, the detector must not have been assembled, and there isn't a whole lot you can learn about a detector without assembly. So a mistake in purchase can be costly.

rogerconley

Jan 2, 2013
GILMER, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 250, GARRETT 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett makes some good stuff at several price ranges. I once read that the White's XLT is the best detector for the money tho. Just food for thought. Good hunting.

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've had my whites spectrum xlt. an a white's surf pi.pulse diver 950. bought them both used over 15 years ago! still using them both ! an i find more with my surf pi. in the lakes, an stream's than on land. i'd buy a good used one first. an ask the owner to show you how to use it. that will save you a lot of trial an error . an it's cheaper, an you'll see if finding treasure, be it great or small is for you. good luck !

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest pulling up different machine manuals on line and reading them a bit. You might like and understand how one machine operates more than another and you havent spent anything. I've read some manuals where I was thoroughly confused, which doesnt take all that much. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions