How much can you love your dog.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The reason I ask this is because we just had to destroy our 9 month old Bernece Mountain dog puppy. We had him since he was 8 weeks old, he was just the ordinary puppy we thought. At first he was doing the normal puppy playing, bitting,ect. We have another dog, he is 7 years old, the puppy was always playing normal we thought, but as he got older he started to guard items, he would grawl, bite and draw blood. As he got bigger he started to stand his ground against the other dog who is 130 pounds, the puppy 30 pounds. We started training at pet smart, we decided he needed a more agressive trainer becauce he was bitting more and drawing blood. To make a long story short, last sat night my wife was giving him a bath like she had done several times before, he bit her hand with out warning. The next night the puppy who is now 70 pounds and almost 9 months old, he had a peace of steak he had stolen from the fridge, he ate it on the corner coach, after it was gown the puppy left the area, our older dog went near the coach, the puppy came back, the older dog barked at him, then they started to fight, the puppy got the older dog on the ground trying to kill the other dog. We decided that we needed to call to see if we could give him to a rescue group, they said no if the dog bites, so we decided he was to scarry to keep, so we made a date for this sat to put him down, we did not make it to sat. Yesterday morning he was acting weird, he was guarding a bone my wife had given him, he started to tare up the new coach we just bought because he destoyed the other. I got out of bed to help get him away from the area, he was guarding his bone, the coach and the door way. He was really getty visious at this point, so I went and got a long stick to get the bone off the coach and get him in the kitchen, he came after me trying to attack me, I had to use the stick to keep him back. With this condition he had, several seconds after all this happened he would return to this nice puppy. I did not want him back in the house another day, I put his leash on him and put him my car and took him to the vet to be put down, on the way there he wa looking at me, his eyes were black instead of brown, it was like looking at two black marbles. He is gone now, he was like my son, it felt like they toar my heart out, I trully loved this dog to peaces, he was so neat and loving, he liked to dance the way dogs love to lean on your hands. If any one else has seen this in any kind of other bread please write a letter about so we can understand what other breads are out there with this kind of issues. The police just shot a bull mastive the other day for attacking its owner.

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sorry to hear about your loss man....that's a tough thing to go through.

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
i am sorry to hear about your situation.i know that this had to be a very hard thing to do.our prayers are with your family.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's strange we have a berner and she is the nicest dog. We also has a 11 lb Pomeranian and the berner which is 80 pounds thinks she is a lap dog too..I'm sorry to hear about that. they are supposed to be very nice bread.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the kind words, this puppy was not ment to stay very long, it takes me alot to cry but that did.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What did the vet say? Were any tests run for chemical imbalance, brain tumor. Autopsy done? I don't mean to be insensitive, but there was maybe a big problem there. Bad part, it would have cost a great deal to find out and may or may not have been treatable...

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There were no test done other than the normal stuff, the vets say there are no clinical tests to prove what he may have had. We are thinking he had some kind of virus he pick up, or it was from the birth being a brain disorder, who knows for sure. We could not afford to spend thousands of dollars to have tests done, we loved him as a son. He is in a bitter place now, we will some day get another berner or two, they are a great family friend and companion.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were no test done other than the normal stuff, the vets say there are no clinical tests to prove what he may have had. We are thinking he had some kind of virus he pick up, or it was from the birth being a brain disorder, who knows for sure. We could not afford to spend thousands of dollars to have tests done, we loved him as a son. He is in a bitter place now, we will some day get another berner or two, they are a great family friend and companion.

Autopsy would have been helpful ...how sad for your family..

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sad story. It's a shame, but all dogs are unpredictable. Nothing that you can do.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not all dogs are bad, we just happened to get a sick puppy.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We will get another berner some day, I would like two, they are great freinds, very loving chums.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Sorry my hound is looking at me right now and saying what are you doing up so late. Sorry for your loss sir.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I called my dad one night, askin about my jeep, tryin to figure out what was wrong with it.
Back and forth we speculated. Till finally he just started gigglin in his own way, and said the hell
with it,I got a credit card, and I think it might just cover it. Now none of us are made a money
so it meant a whole bunch.
Well next thing I knew he started actin funny, told me he wasn't feelin well. I heard him unlock
the front door(he always kept the door locked) and then told me he had to go.
Right then I knew, I broke down in tears, told him I wasn't ready to lose him. He told me "Everything's
gonna be alright, it'll be fine" we said goodbye, and that was the last time I ever talked to him.
He was born in 1947, I was born in 1974.

Now, I don't tell that story much, but it's true, and I'm not sure why I told you.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you take this as constructive, but I'm afraid it might come out wrong, i dont always have a way with words around touchy subjects. I would guess that your friend like a pup we had, a border collie, had some genetic defect. We had a dog named Duke, a short hair. Duke couldn't do anything right as far as anyone was concerned. He killed my dads ash tree by chewing all the bark off of the lower portion, we decided he was chasing invisible squirrels and laughed about it. He chewed up anything left in the garage, boxes, paper towels, trash, aluminum cans, anything wood, etc etc etc, then one day about a week before we had determined to give him away if he didnt straighten up, we came out in the garage one morning and he was stiff as a board. Now I didnt have anything against duke, he caused his fair share of problems, but he would never let anyone get real close to him and he was always guarding he bowl or bones etc despite never wanting for any of it. Not quite the same i know but just a small parallel between the two. I hope you find solace in knowing you probably did him a favor. It couldn't have been a wonderful life going through swings like that and if he had been diagnosed you would have a heap of medicine to give him if you decided not to put him down anyway.

Bevo, I about broke down reading that, my own dad was born in '49 and he doesn't always sound well on the phone, His health is failing and I'm always out on the road for work. Don't know how I could possible react to something like that. My grandfather is turning 90 this year, I don't even think he recognizes me, he knows my name and he knows he is supposed to know me, but his expression gives away his ruse.

my prayers are with both of you, that the ones you've lost are in a good place, and you can find joy in the memories you shared.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread