Who here goes armed whenever they are out in the field prospecting or detecting?

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
this when in bear woods (I know NC isnt bear country) My custom 480 Alaskan
1526722871_photobucket_42880_-1.jpg

SN851048.jpg

put a Ruger LCP is on me all the time......1st rule when in trouble, make sure you the one with the gun....

DAY'M!!! That is one nice looking Ruger!!

Tell me what custom work was done on that revolver. What is the matte finish on the frame? Was the gun stainless to start?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I pack most of the time. Illegal on VA grounds or post office, otherwise I'm packing. Haven't needed it in the past 50 plus years. There was a shoplifting or something at the grocery store causing them to call a cop, and as things were evolving I thought I might need to pull my gun. A female cop responded and was first on scene, and she was surrounded by several nasty looking big fellows who were pressing in on her. She was doing OK on her own, but it didn't look very sanitary, they could have tried to overpower her in a heart beat, so I stopped and watch. At that point the bad guys didn't have any idea there might be someone else to worry about. It all lasted perhaps a minute, seemed like a long time though, and the backup officer arrived, those guys backed off, so my gun stayed put and I left. Otherwise I'm packing just in case. And that's the only time anything even came close to needing to carry heat. I don't get to the woods much anymore, but if it happens, I carry serious heat out there. Bears and cougars have basically been protected, and there are lots of them and human, predator encounters are to the point of being almost common, and now wolves are moving in from Idaho, and are protected. I get a kick out of the TV commercials that say if you encounter a lion, puff up and make yourself look bigger, scare them away, don't run. What I intend to do is point my laser sighted 45 ACP at the critter, paint it, and commence firing. Puffing up just seems silly.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfullofdirt....... Thinks the way i do.....The places i hunt now i don't carry i feel no need.. Even on the out of way places.....Up here in north east Ohio no need to carry...... now if i was prospecting out west that is a different story................. I have a carry permit .. but i don't need problems so i hardly ever carry...... I feel safer not carrying most of the time.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry ib the woods or the field. There is always rumors of cougars here so you can never be to careful. There are alot of coyotes and for the most part can be shot on sight if you have a small game license. So yes I carry, most of the time I carry my .40 XD if I am out hunting (I like the extra shots, just in case) or my Springfield 1911 tactical.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever legal absolutely single action .45colt. Beretta 92 stays home.

The Punisher

Feb 6, 2013
Elkin NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Garrett CXiii
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DAY'M!!! That is one nice looking Ruger!!

Tell me what custom work was done on that revolver. What is the matte finish on the frame? Was the gun stainless to start?

well it started out as a 7 1/2 480 Ruger, had the barrel cut and crowned, polished some parts and Teflon coated the rest.

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it in arizona i never see any one carry a weapon. When i was out there every body i met was very nice. When they approach me there hands were in ther coat pocket. That mountian air gets pretty cold.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a massive screwdriver out in the field or bush at all times.

Anything tries to mess with me they would get screwed!

Cheers,
Dave.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's seems like everyone is ready for a gun battle. You can't shoot an unarmed aggressive person/dog but you can definitely pepper spray them.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's seems like everyone is ready for a gun battle. You can't shoot an unarmed aggressive person/dog but you can definitely pepper spray them.
Yes,I can and will.....I do not carry for protection from animals.You folks that are afraid of cougars.....a gun likely wont help you,a lion wants you,it will get you from behind,you will never know what hit you

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup carry all the time usually the top gun in this pic a Sig P229r in .40 or .357 the bottom gun is my wifes .22 Llama. When out anywhere it's a .380 Smith Bodyguard in the woods the Sig. Bad black bear problem here seen a dozen and they usually all run but one didn't and that afternoon I picked up the Sig. Bears not to worried about but I did have an incident with a two legged critter once that made me nervous while fishing. Think he was looking for a wallet till I pulled my knife and pretended to be cutting my fishin line. He backed away quick.
2013snowandmailbox010.jpg

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a big one that was in my yard and also didn't run away while I was out grilling.
16partyandbear072.jpg

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know what state you are in, but that is not the case here. ANY animal not on it's own property, that is acting aggressively can be shot here. In city limits, you would have to content with discharging a firearm statutes, but out of the small town all bets are off. If an animal IS aggressive and you shoot it in the city, it is considered justified. Happens a few times a month. It is widely know to not let your dog run around in the woods/fields as it WILL be shot be either a landowner or game and fish.

People are just the same. I have no obligation to meet force level in Wyoming. If I feel that I or anybody else is in danger of death or bodily harm, I am allowed to take any action to stop that threat. If there is a fight and somebody is getting kicked in the head, there is a reasonable belief that sever damage may occur.

That said, if 2 evenly matched, mutual combatants are boxing each other in a bar parking lot I'm not going to intervene. The chances of anything more than a broken nose or black eye are almost non-existent. Wyoming does not have a "stand your ground" law, but we do have our version of the castle doctrine which extends to our vehicle, hotel, or anywhere that I am "living", which means I have no duty to retreat. We are also protected from civil liability (as long as the shooting is justified) by state law.

Wyoming and South Dakota (our neighbor) have the highest levels of concealed firearm licenses per capita in the U.S. Now that Wyoming does not require a CCP to carry in the state, it is generally assumed that EVERYBODY has a gun on them. And it has paid off for our little town recently. 3 attempted armed robberies were stopped by concealed carry citizens.

Welcome to Wyoming, consider EVERYONE armed. <--------- Honestly, that is considered Wyoming's 2nd motto.

WM

Last edited:

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i personally, just being honest like to have a few bers when i go metal detecting. it helps get the juices flowing in my blood and then when i grab my relic rifle my inert energy transfers to the coil so we are as one!!!! I do have my digging dagger for protection and when i am on a farm or somewhere i carry a 9x18 makrov.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is absolutely amazing!!!

You guys live in a different world from the Uk. I'm 55 years old and have never handled a firearm, neither have my sons or any of our friends. Possessing a pistol carries a guaranteed 5 years in jail and using any firearm in crime is a life sentence. MACE, CS etc are all prohibited weapons as well and will get you twelve months in jail. Carrying a bladed weapon with a locking blade or blade longer than three inches is twelve months in jail. Even the British olympic target pistol team has to go to France to practise because the guns are illegal here!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what state you are in, but that is not the case here. ANY animal not on it's own property, that is acting aggressively can be shot here. In city limits, you would have to content with discharging a firearm statutes, but out of the small town all bets are off. If an animal IS aggressive and you shoot it in the city, it is considered justified. Happens a few times a month. It is widely know to not let your dog run around in the woods/fields as it WILL be shot be either a landowner or game and fish.

People are just the same. I have no obligation to meet force level in Wyoming. If I feel that I or anybody else is in danger of death or bodily harm, I am allowed to take any action to stop that threat. If there is a fight and somebody is getting kicked in the head, there is a reasonable belief that sever damage may occur.

That said, if 2 evenly matched, mutual combatants are boxing each other in a bar parking lot I'm not going to intervene. The chances of anything more than a broken nose or black eye are almost non-existent. Wyoming does not have a "stand your ground" law, but we do have our version of the castle doctrine which extends to our vehicle, hotel, or anywhere that I am "living", which means I have no duty to retreat. We are also protected from civil liability (as long as the shooting is justified) by state law.

Wyoming and South Dakota (our neighbor) have the highest levels of concealed firearm licenses per capita in the U.S. Now that Wyoming does not require a CCP to carry in the state, it is generally assumed that EVERYBODY has a gun on them. And it has paid off for our little town recently. 3 attempted armed robberies were stopped by concealed carry citizens.

Welcome to Wyoming, consider EVERYONE armed. <--------- Honestly, that is considered Wyoming's 2nd motto.

WM
Here in Michigan if you shoot a stray dog or cat on your property you are breaking the law. That is unless that animal is attacking livestock.
My father's business partner spent the night in jail back in the 80's for shooting a neighbor's shepard that came into his yard threatening his child. The neigbor pressed charges and my dad's business partner was arrested.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is absolutely amazing!!!

You guys live in a different world from the Uk. I'm 55 years old and have never handled a firearm, neither have my sons or any of our friends. Possessing a pistol carries a guaranteed 5 years in jail and using any firearm in crime is a life sentence. MACE, CS etc are all prohibited weapons as well and will get you twelve months in jail. Carrying a bladed weapon with a locking blade or blade longer than three inches is twelve months in jail. Even the British olympic target pistol team has to go to France to practise because the guns are illegal here!

Very interesting. I have some family in parts of the UK and they tell me the same thing.

Here in my part of the U.S., we are a very large ranching and farming area. Every generation of my family as far back as we can track have carried guns at all times. I received my first real gun (not BB) when I was 6 or 7 and have pretty much never been without one since I was 8 years old.

Here though, hunting is how people live. Without guns here, prairie dogs would decimate crops and badgers would kill dogs. It sounds cliche, but I truly do not view guns so much as weapons but instead as tools. I cannot fathom existing without the capability to feed and protect myself. I have been within arms reach of a gun every day for the past 20 years, without fail.

WM

Last edited:

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Michigan if you shoot a stray dog or cat on your property you are breaking the law. That is unless that animal is attacking livestock.
My father's business partner spent the night in jail back in the 80's for shooting a neighbor's shepard that came into his yard threatening his child. The neigbor pressed charges and my dad's business partner was arrested.

LOL, that's funny.

There is a story about a feller here named Buck A. Ol' Buck is a long time rancher in the county here.

One day, some oil types started snooping around his land (he owns 15K acres and leases another 20K). Suddenly, the two guys heard gunfire in the distance and bullets whizzing over their heads. They ran to their truck and hauled butt to town to get the sheriff.

The sheriff arrived in time to find Buck stringing up some freshly killed coyotes on the fence. He swore up and down that he never saw those fellers ;).

Since they were trespassing, they sheriff told them to git' and not come back.

That is a true story that happened just a few years ago. Let it be known that we take our personal land rights VERY seriously here. Be it critter or man, it had better have a DARN good reason for being on the property.

WM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread