Who here goes armed whenever they are out in the field prospecting or detecting?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is absolutely amazing!!!

You guys live in a different world from the Uk. I'm 55 years old and have never handled a firearm, neither have my sons or any of our friends. Possessing a pistol carries a guaranteed 5 years in jail and using any firearm in crime is a life sentence. MACE, CS etc are all prohibited weapons as well and will get you twelve months in jail. Carrying a bladed weapon with a locking blade or blade longer than three inches is twelve months in jail. Even the British olympic target pistol team has to go to France to practise because the guns are illegal here!

Hmm, I'm sure glad I don't live there, (no offense) I have grown up with guns, used gun for hunting, used guns in combat and used guns to scare away those things that want to do me harm. I will probably be shooting for as long as I'm breathing. That being said, I don't carry a firearm while I'm detecting, unless it's in the woods at an old home site, and usually I have permission so, the only thing I really have to worry about are the bears, oh and the mountain Loins the PA Dept of Natural Resources tell us aren't in our state, though I and a number of others have seen them. I guess it would be bad for tourism.

I think I like the idea of the big tank of Pepper Spray. . . . That may be a good idea. Anyway.

Besides, my parishioners probably wouldn't appreciate seeing my name in the police blotter. . .

HH
PTP

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry too. I like to have options when it comes to handling things.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL, that's funny.

There is a story about a feller here named Buck A. Ol' Buck is a long time rancher in the county here.

One day, some oil types started snooping around his land (he owns 15K acres and leases another 20K). Suddenly, the two guys heard gunfire in the distance and bullets whizzing over their heads. They ran to their truck and hauled butt to town to get the sheriff.

The sheriff arrived in time to find Buck stringing up some freshly killed coyotes on the fence. He swore up and down that he never saw those fellers ;).

Since they were trespassing, they sheriff told them to git' and not come back.

That is a true story that happened just a few years ago. Let it be known that we take our personal land rights VERY seriously here. Be it critter or man, it had better have a DARN good reason for being on the property.

WM
A guy shoots a dog that's attacking his son, on his own property, and goes to jail, and that's funny?

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's funny that any free human would live in such a state.

For me, if I was unable to protect my own, I would be gone. And no tin star sheriff or city kitty cop is going to stop me.

Nor would I live in a place where the law enforcement/politicians are so twisted.

It is a disgusted, head shaking kind of humor.

WM

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a Taurus Judge or a Springfield Ultra-Compact .45. I load the Taurus with more game load if I'm in a rattlesnake infested area, buckshot and .45 colt where larger mammals may be a issue.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Buck, I bet nobody in the USA would go onto land metal detecting without permission.......

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It all just kinda sounds like a lotta rootin' - tootin' cowboy talk to me. Who here has ever shot another human being in self-defense?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all just kinda sounds like a lotta rootin' - tootin' cowboy talk to me. Who here has ever shot another human being in self-defense?
Maybe....and there are a lot of unruly Indians........
Call it what you want but three times with humans and more times than I can count with Grizzley's I have needed a gun and had one,I can promise you that two of those times with humans had I not shown that I wasnt a weak sheep I would be dead(one of the fellows admitted later he would have shot me)I can not for the life of me figure out why people are so quick to label those that choose to be prepared as paranoid,"rootin Tootin Cowboys",etc.Why,why cant you just chhose your path as a helpless sheep,and leave those that dont alone?Someday you may very well be quite thankful someone was around to "help",you....why do cops carry guns?Are they wrong?Are they just Rootin tootin cowboys too?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Who here has ever shot another human being...

I think you might be surprised at how many guys on the forum have shot people Fistfulladirt. We have quite a few combat veterans here. The reality of a gunfight is all to real to many of us. If you don't feel you need a weapon, then don't carry one. I feel I need a friend out in the desert or up in the mountains, where I am not the top of the food chain, and "Off-the-Grid" types like to lurk.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
A couple of years ago I shot a neighbor's dog. His dogs had been in trouble with several around the area because he wouldn't keep them up. Three of his dogs came on my property and was after the chickens. One of the dogs killed a rooster before I could reach for my shotgun, but I shot him as he was carrying the rooster away.
I put the dog in the truck and drove it home, I dumped the dog in the front yard and told the neighbor why I killed it. All he said was, "I'm sorry".
My other neighbor killed the other two the next week.
I kind'a wish it would have been my neighbor who was getting the chickens and not his dogs... that way I would have shot the right one!

S

stefen

Growing up in rural Indiana, it was common practice to ask permission to hunt a farmers property. And if you shot several pheasants or rabbits, you dropped one or two on the farmers porch as a thank you gesture.

One day we noticed several hunters working a freshly cut corn field. Dad's dog, Bingo, heard the shots and the hunt was on. Except, when Bingo came running, he was shot and killed.

Dad picked up his shotgun and drove the tractor out into the field...

A short while later he came back with 2 newly acquired shotguns, boots, vests, pants and car keys.

Made the 2 A-Holes walk out barefooted in skivvies.

A while later, the County cop came by with the 2 shooters in tow.

In fact he was a friend of Dad's, and it didn't take long for him to arrest the two guys for killing the dog.

Still have the guns.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't take my questions the wrong way you guys, I'm just curious. I own several firearms myself, and I'm truly not against anyone carrying for their personal protection.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In NJ the decision to carry is simple. Don't do it! Unless you want to spend 5 to 7 years at Rahway or some other vacation dream spot.

How serious is the system about enforcing this law? A 20 something kid broke up with his girlfriend. His mother thought he was despressed and knowing he had guns called police. APB was put for the kid's car. AS misfortune would have it, breaking up with his girlfriend also meant moving out of her house. Police caught up with the kid a few miles from his new apartment. In his trunk were his guns. Guns not properly stowed according to state law. A run away prosecution derailed this kid's lfe. He was charged and convicted of carrying concealed weapons. He was sent to Trenton state prison to do his time. Two years in Gov Christie heard about this and released the kid. However, he did not wipe the slate clean. The kid, a college student before his arrest, is now a convicted felon. A convicted felon for doing no more than moving his guns to his new residence. Talk about how out of control gun control laws can get?

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Don't take my questions the wrong way you guys, I'm just curious. I own several firearms myself, and I'm truly not against anyone carrying for their personal protection.

Oh.. No.. Us Rebs would never take a Yankee from MI the wrong way!!:laughing7:

Sorry... just couldn't pass that up! LOL!!!!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We always carry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never carry, never will. Too durned old to go anywhere "outback" where I would need anything. If I were in the need of going to the great outback, I'd hire a guide with heat, as necessary. Legal that way and I wouldn't have to worry. Much.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Never carry, never will. Too durned old to go anywhere "outback" where I would need anything. If I were in the need of going to the great outback, I'd hire a guide with heat, as necessary. Legal that way and I wouldn't have to worry. Much.

Where you be? Australia?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread