Being watched by police?

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While frequently approached by officers while TH'ing here in Jersey, I'm very rarely rousted. Last fall, a long-lingering nearby officer finally walked up -- and wanted to know what a good detector might be to buy for his son for Christmas. Being an expert at such things, I gave him the entire price-list rundown. In January, I ended up showing his young son the ropes of using his Fisher gift. However, dad sure seemed to be mighty attentive to how it's done. "Better let dad handle this at first, son."

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was surprised by an officer once at an old homestead that's public property now. He said I was fine there but he thought I should know it was the new place for all the prostitutes and druggies that get kicked out of the park-n-ride down the road. Ooops... Good to know!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
What really gets my goat is when a cruiser screeches to a halt close by, the cop comes up and says "Are you alright mister?"
You say "Sure, what's wrong" and he tells you an old lady across the street called in saying there's an old man with a cane in
the park and he keeps falling down."

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago had an officer drive by an area that had just been mowed a week before and now had a strip center coming soon sign on it.I went out swinging the coil and finding beer cans and some old coins.The officer came back by twice within 10 minutes and asked if I found anything of value,I showed him what I had found,he asked if it could work in grass,like in his lawn.I said sure and followed him back to his backyard,the grass was really tall and his wife had lost her wedding ring in it and the couldn't find it anywhere.I asked where she had think she had dropped it and started searching,about an hour later I found a very small ring with some very small diamonds,they offered to pay,I said no and now Officer Dave and his wife both have detectors.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Only once, we were on the back side of a park along the river. My friend was probably 50 feet away, and a cop came driving up the sidewalk, which kind of boogered me, stopped and rolled down the window, and now I'm thinking, "Dang, we're busted for sure." He just asked if I was finding anything, I told him just a few modern pennies, and he said "good luck," and continued driving down the sidewalk. The area was actually full of rubble, and there were lots of junk iron targets, and my friend was in the best spot, he found a v nickle and a couple of other older coins. All I found was clad. The town I live in actually blew up back in the 50's. A truck load of dynamite flattened the down town for several blocks. I think that spot in the park might be where a bunch of rubble from the blast was dumped. There is another park right next to the American Legion Post in town. Tht park is the location of first place that the house didn't burn, but was blown off it's foundation. I tried detecting there, and the junk is unreal, kind of like besides what was there, they brought in fill. I got some clad out of that park, but it's impossible to hunt. At the time of the blast the local feed store was in the total level and burn section of the blast, perhaps 100 yards from the river, and their safe disappeared, and has never been found. Most people feel like it was blown into the river. If there was any change in the safe, it would all be silver.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Had a park ranger approach me once (I was in a legal area) and he wound up stayin with me for an hour helping dig. Another time the wife and I visited a preserved ghost town open to the public up here. We were in the store/office and I mentioned to Maria what I wouldn't give to have my metal detector with me. I said all that in Spanish, and I noticed the custodian/security guard perked right up. I guess 'detector de metales' is close to English. She followed us all around the site, just watching. I even noticed her peekin around buildings. Not that I was bein ornery, but it was just one of those days where I had to kneel down about every 50 ft. or so and adjust my boot. Leaving we took a shortcut and I looked back and saw her actually runnin to catch up, so I slowed down and waited. She followed us all the way to the truck and leaned against the fence. Never said a word. I told her adios and smiled at her and she smiled back. I never did figure out what all that was about but it really didn't make me mad. Good job on the school bus patrol, truckinbutch! You should get a medal or at least 10% of the fines issued.
Nawp on the rewards . Seein that trooper (who is the son-in -law of a lifelong friend and lives a mile up the road) bore out after one of those runners that didn't think there was a cop in the county is reward enough . He has kids ridin that bus too . Warnings aren't something he knows how to write :laughing7:

shinerod

Apr 22, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2, Garrett GTAx400, Garrett Pro-Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had them watch me for a short while, only to leave when they see I'm being responsible. I once had a cop call me over to the vehicle, and when I approached she simply asked "find anything good?" lol...

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small community where most everyone know or should know the local law enforcement officers(cops). Most all of them are no different than you and I. Some may give that put a feather in my hat impression sometimes but it's usually turns out for the best of the community. Detecting in our town is perfectly legal and only have a few who I've seen in our park or public areas. I have never been approached by the cops but would expect nothing unusual if they did. I think if you treat the cops with the respect they deserve you will find everything will turn out fine. You should know exactly what the rules are for the area your hunting anyway. Obviously we all need to act ethically in our hobby as to not give anyone a reason to not allow it to co exist with all other things that happen in public places. Maybe even carry a copy of such rules with you for that unexpected encounter, especially if no specific rules against it exist. Every local government has public access to their ordinance's covering what is allowed and what is not. Just ask for a copy, Don't go raising the red flag asking for individual permission, just ask for the rules covering the general use of public spaces/parks you hope to use. If ask by the cops to leave anyway I would do so, arguing with them will go nowhere fast. Better then to take the issue up with the local office or officials that are responsible for these rules. Act intelligent and responsible and do the rest of us proud. I would think and hope the results will be positive.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread