Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Has anyone ever had a police cruiser, etc watch you metal detect for a little while? I had that happen to me in a little secluded park for the very first time, i've been to this park many many times and even have permission even though it's public lol he just sat and watched me for a few minutes, it kinda felt awkward, so I waited till he left to dig another hole lol has anyone ever have this happen to them?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may have been just filing out a report, idk.
Once in a S. Florida park I'm detecting, I see big old German Shephard and a man with official looking t-shirt that said "security" on it, and a police k-9 car in the background.
He was throwing something, playing "fetch" with the dog. The dog noticed me, but never broke concentration. When he was finished, I mossied over and asked him, what type of training was he putting the dog through. He replied, "for explosives".
I was sure glad he was an explosives doggie! :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For what ever reason at boat launch areas the most. I give them a wave and keep on swinging. None have approached close.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There may have been complaints about other detectors digging holes and not filling them in. He saw you were acting responsibly and left you alone. No, it never happened to me.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was doing his rounds during patrol and saw you and said "I'm just gonna watch this guy for a minute and see if he finds anything" then when you werent finding anything he bolted! Who knows you might got him thinking to do some MDing. 8-)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look up and see them slow down and creep along looking at me...when they see what Im doing they speed off.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had no problem with it, it was just very awkward and uneasy for some reason, even though I know i'm in the right haha

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My only problem with police is the demise of the Crown Vic. These new Chargers, Tauruses and Caprices are hard to spot!!!

I could even pick out a Crown Vic coming up from behind in the dark on an interstate. The headlight/parking lite profile gives them away.

My driver's license is going to miss that car!

Back on topic - No problem with police watching. Some have asked what i'm finding.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several Times the Last one was Last Week end Didnt even Get Out to Talk to Us!!! HH Chug

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only problem with police is the demise of the Crown Vic. These new Chargers, Tauruses and Caprices are hard to spot!!!

There is a state trooper in Florida on I-10 that drives a normal looking pickup truck. Now that is cheating! When that trooper hits the switch it lights up like a Christmas tree on steroids! It will scare the stuffin out of you! Not that I know from personal experience mind you. Nope...not me....

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
There is a state trooper in Florida on I-10 that drives a normal looking pickup truck. Now that is cheating! When that trooper hits the switch it lights up like a Christmas tree on steroids! It will scare the stuffin out of you! Not that I know from personal experience mind you. Nope...not me....
I find nothing wrong with that camo . I invited a state trooper to use my pickup truck as a blind when I'm waiting to put grandkids on the school bus or pick them up . Worked out well . 2 doing 75 in a 45 he took directly to jail and called a wrecker for their cars . Nobody blows past stopped busses on my watch :happysmiley:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got pulled over by a State Police Officer the other day because he thought I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. He asked where I was going (never understood that question) and I felt all sheepish which made him immediately suspicious. I finally said I was going metal detecting for a little while before my listing appointment and he looked at me like I lost my head. Then he asked if my stuff was in the back (anther strange question) and I said yes. He mustve had pity on me thinking I was a big nerd and let me go! That's as close as I'd like to be with authority, I'm the most guilty-acting innocent person you'll ever meet because I get so nervous!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I got pulled over by a State Police Officer the other day because he thought I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. He asked where I was going (never understood that question) and I felt all sheepish which made him immediately suspicious. I finally said I was going metal detecting for a little while before my listing appointment and he looked at me like I lost my head. Then he asked if my stuff was in the back (anther strange question) and I said yes. He mustve had pity on me thinking I was a big nerd and let me go! That's as close as I'd like to be with authority, I'm the most guilty-acting innocent person you'll ever meet because I get so nervous!

If you hadn't been so purrddyy... he wouldn't have stopped you!!:thumbsup::laughing7:

beepbeepin

Aug 24, 2012
Schenevus, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
I work at a camp with a lake and a beach. When I went out for lunch and came back. I saw a police cruiser in my camp driving towards me. He stopped and I said hello officer how may I help you? He told me he heard a gun shot like someone was hunting in the area which is not allowed. Then he asked hey! I noticed that nice beach you have, do you mind if I metal detect that beach someday? I told him I metal detect too but haven't touched the beach yet and I said its all yours officer. He said he'll be back in the spring. Really nice guy. Not all of them are watching to see if your doing wrong but to see where other great spots are. Lol

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a park ranger approach me once (I was in a legal area) and he wound up stayin with me for an hour helping dig. Another time the wife and I visited a preserved ghost town open to the public up here. We were in the store/office and I mentioned to Maria what I wouldn't give to have my metal detector with me. I said all that in Spanish, and I noticed the custodian/security guard perked right up. I guess 'detector de metales' is close to English. She followed us all around the site, just watching. I even noticed her peekin around buildings. Not that I was bein ornery, but it was just one of those days where I had to kneel down about every 50 ft. or so and adjust my boot. Leaving we took a shortcut and I looked back and saw her actually runnin to catch up, so I slowed down and waited. She followed us all the way to the truck and leaned against the fence. Never said a word. I told her adios and smiled at her and she smiled back. I never did figure out what all that was about but it really didn't make me mad. Good job on the school bus patrol, truckinbutch! You should get a medal or at least 10% of the fines issued.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Same here all of sudden I get huge jitters lol even if I'm doing the right thing.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I work at a camp with a lake and a beach. When I went out for lunch and came back. I saw a police cruiser in my camp driving towards me. He stopped and I said hello officer how may I help you? He told me he heard a gun shot like someone was hunting in the area which is not allowed. Then he asked hey! I noticed that nice beach you have, do you mind if I metal detect that beach someday? I told him I metal detect too but haven't touched the beach yet and I said its all yours officer. He said he'll be back in the spring. Really nice guy. Not all of them are watching to see if your doing wrong but to see where other great spots are. Lol

Thats awesome! Lol

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt a bunch of urban parks so in any hour hunt I will see 10-20 police cars. I had one police officer drive up on the sidewalk that ran through the middle of the park and stop next to me. I was thinking here we go but just asked what I was finding then went on his way...really nice guy. Another time I hit a target rich section of a park so I went back at lunch time a few days in a row. A foot beat police officer approached me and says I've watched you a few days in a row and want to know what your doing? I tell him that I'm detecting and I/ve been finding lots of old silver coins in this area. He doesn't believe me and tells me he thinks I'm staking someone out. I actually laughted out loud. He left after that. My last actual run in was when I was detecting one park and I see an officer on horse back going down the street writing tickets. I looked at my watch...oh crap my meter is overdue. I head for my car and caught him just before he started writing a ticket. He was a nice guy and said your lucky my pen did not touch paper yet then asked if I found anything.

Where I hunt I actually like when the police are around. A few parks have had homicides in them so I would rather have them around and even bust my chops a bit then not. One park I don't hunt anymore since I never really felt safe there just had a body turn up in the last few weeks.

As far as the new police cars they drive everything now. One town I drive through on the way to work has a dark SUV that always has someone pulled over, A black charger with Police written on the side in ghost letters and a PT Crusier in addition to their regular cars and motorcycles. The charger paint job is a new one to me. It is black on black. The lettering is a slightly different black so you can't really see that it says Police until you get up close to it.

HH

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread