How to clean your finds?

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my son's MD out for a spin last week and found what appears to be parts of an old pocket knife. It came out of the mud caked in mud and looks to be tarnished green. I'd like to clean it up but I'm not sure what the proper steps are for cleaning finds like this. If anyone can offer advice, links to resources or guidance it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be sure I don't go ruining things out of ignorance.

dowser Tom

Apr 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For coins, it is best to soak them in olive oil for about a week and then take a Q-tip and lightly
brush them off. This will help remove the dirt and ground chemicals without damaging the coins.
Would propably work on the old knife as well.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Boil several tablespoons (or whatever amount needed to cover your item) of hydrogen peroxide in the micro-wave. Should take 10 to 15 seconds for a few tablespoons, for example. Take the dish out of the microwave, and drop your item in. Repeat as necessary.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for clad coins, I use my trusty cheap tumbler from Harbor Freight and little water and some fish tank rocks (the small ones), run it over night, and voala! For old coins, the olive oil works but it takes a while, never tried the Hydrogen Peroxide. I have also seen some detectorists use ultrasonic tubs and even electrolysis.

HH
PTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread