Question.. About Oregon Trail

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
On my second Garrett Ace 250 ; Garrett Pro- Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright this just might seem silly to even ask.. But i am new to searching anything other than beaches..

From my understanding here in Idaho you can metal detect and gold pan on BLM public lands.. The Oregon Trail runs all around the area I live mainly on BLM. Would a person be able to metal detect on that area? Ive searched Google with not much help.. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

S

stefen

The Oregon Trail is a line on a map, yet its probably not under any type of protective order...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you've already deduced that you can detect in a certain area, then it's as stefen says: the "oregon trail" is nothing but a line on a map. So if you can detect at some point/spot along it, then .... go do it :) There is nothing uniform or across the board that disallows detecting on the "oregon trail", since that's an ambiguous nebulous line, crossing through a myriad of different entities.

Oh, and the best places to detect along the trail, would not simply be to find where the trail went, and start checking alongside of it. Instead, the best places, are where they STOPPED. Ie.: camped for the night, especially if there were some sort of commercial venture going on there (trading post, saloon, stage stop, etc....).

OP
OP
Duffala

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses. I did find those groups but no replies and the one didn't seem very active. Now to do some research on them stopping points in them area.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just do it. It isn't a big deal. If you ask somebody, you might get told NO..even if that's wrong. Just go and enjoy the BLM lands. I've spent a hug portion of my life, prospecting and metal detecting on BLM. Have NEVER had anybody ask me what i was doing.
Jim

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family owns a large swath of the OT, Mormon, California, etc trail. Since I was a child, I have been collecting artifacts and playing in the ruts.

It is not protected in any way unless you are in places like Martin's cove and Independence rock.

WM

OP
OP
Duffala

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'm going to hit up a area tomorrow that thru research is a old campsite.

othist

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop. You need to learn the laws of not only Idaho, but the rest of the country as well. It is a federal offense to collect artifacts from the Oregon Trail or any other historic resource of the country. The penalties are stiff. Not just in Idaho, but everywhere. It is also against the law to collect historic artifacts on BLM or other federally owned land. This includes Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, etc., as well as Oregon Trail artifacts.

The emigrant trails are a great resource. Please don't destroy them by digging for artifacts on them. Somebody just did that on a stretch by Burley and destroyed a pristine section of trail. Learn the history of the trails, read the diaries of the travellers, hike on them and share the struggles that thousands of emigrants went through. But please don't dig them up and steal artifacts for your personal collection.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stop. You need to learn the laws of not only Idaho, but the rest of the country as well. It is a federal offense to collect artifacts from the Oregon Trail or any other historic resource of the country. The penalties are stiff. Not just in Idaho, but everywhere. It is also against the law to collect historic artifacts on BLM or other federally owned land. This includes Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, etc., as well as Oregon Trail artifacts.

The emigrant trails are a great resource. Please don't destroy them by digging for artifacts on them. Somebody just did that on a stretch by Burley and destroyed a pristine section of trail. Learn the history of the trails, read the diaries of the travellers, hike on them and share the struggles that thousands of emigrants went through. But please don't dig them up and steal artifacts for your personal collection.

othist, ok, we've all "stopped". What does what you're saying have to do with non-federal stretches of the Oregon trail ? The trail is just a line across an atlas. It's not entirely going through federal land.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
othist, ok, we've all "stopped". What does what you're saying have to do with non-federal stretches of the Oregon trail ? The trail is just a line across an atlas. It's not entirely going through federal land.
Tom, the original question was about the Oregon Trail on BLM lands. And Othist was right...you can get in big trouble if caught with artifacts on BLM lands. The best advice is do what you want, but be aware that you may end up having your equipment confiscated, and large fines, or even jailtime. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Also,...if caught with artifacts on BLM roads, they are going to assume you found the artifacts on BLM lands....so travelling BLM lands while in posession of artifacts is still going to be costly.
Jim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Tom, the original question was about the Oregon Trail on BLM lands. And Othist was right...you can get in big trouble if caught with artifacts on BLM lands. The best advice is do what you want, but be aware that you may end up having your equipment confiscated, and large fines, or even jailtime. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Also,...if caught with artifacts on BLM roads, they are going to assume you found the artifacts on BLM lands....so travelling BLM lands while in posession of artifacts is still going to be costly.
Jim

Jim, after reading the original question closer, I see that it's not simply a question about the Oregon trail "in general", but specifically as portions of it pass through BLM land. Ok, fine then. Your answer technically stands. You realize that metal detecing in-&-of-itself is not technically wrong or illegal on BLM land, right? It would only be when/if someone starts finding something "culturally significant". And if someone wants to go down the rabbit trail of trying to define what is "culturally significant", they'll probably end up with some 50 or 100 yr. old answer, right? That makes sense, because, I mean, they have to draw a line and make a definition, so .... someone decades ago dreamed up arbitrary cut-offs, etc.... Fine.

Oddly, in my 35+ yrs. of this, I have never had anyone follow me around, looking over my shoulder, with a calculator in-hand, doing the math on the ages of the coins I'm finding. For that matter, when I'm way out in the woods, I don't see much of anyone to begin with :icon_scratch:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smell a couple Archie's that think they can forbid anyone from unearthing a square nail or horse shoe. They plan no digs on these lands but want us to stop. shooting-guns.gif

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, after reading the original question closer, I see that it's not simply a question about the Oregon trail "in general", but specifically as portions of it pass through BLM land. Ok, fine then. Your answer technically stands. You realize that metal detecing in-&-of-itself is not technically wrong or illegal on BLM land, right? It would only be when/if someone starts finding something "culturally significant". And if someone wants to go down the rabbit trail of trying to define what is "culturally significant", they'll probably end up with some 50 or 100 yr. old answer, right? That makes sense, because, I mean, they have to draw a line and make a definition, so .... someone decades ago dreamed up arbitrary cut-offs, etc.... Fine.

Oddly, in my 35+ yrs. of this, I have never had anyone follow me around, looking over my shoulder, with a calculator in-hand, doing the math on the ages of the coins I'm finding. For that matter, when I'm way out in the woods, I don't see much of anyone to begin with :icon_scratch:
Nobody has ever bothered me, either. But I don't think it does any harm to inform people of the risks....after that, they're on their own. As far as what I do...I don't post that on the Internet...LOL
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I smell a couple Archie's that think they can forbid anyone from unearthing a square nail or horse shoe. They plan no digs on these lands but want us to stop. View attachment 852887
True story...That's what having power does to people. It's never about saying "go ahead"...it's always about telling others what they CAN'T do. Mostly, I just do what I want. When they finally get me, I'll take my medicine, and move on.
Jim

othist

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can dig on private property, presuming of course that you have the permission of the landowner. State lands are also illegal to dig on.

Yes, you can look at the Oregon Trail as just a line on a map. Many people do. Or you can look at it as the largest migration of people in the history of mankind, an incredible struggle as people trudged across 2000 miles of inland desert to reach Oregon. The stories of the emigrants are fascinating. We are lucky to have thousands of diaries and reminiscences preserved of this trek. In many places you can still walk in the pristine ruts that the emigrants traveled and experience the dispair they felt in those same areas as recorded in their diaries.

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Othist,
Since these "holes" weren't discovered for some time after they were dug, how was it determined they were done by metal detectorists? Even with the far-fetching and unsupported assumption that metal detectorists did do the damage, again, since no one was there to view the act, how has it been determined that significant damage has been done to the archaeological integrity of this site....not knowing what, if anything, was taken and all. How convenient it must be for you pristine preservationists, who would never have us set foot on hallowed ground (even though our tax dollars support the management of it, as well) to have a ready made scapegoat for every time something is done on public lands that you don't agree with. But know this! While you mention it is a crime to dig and/or take artifacts from public land, it is also a crime to make the utterance of a false statement harmful of another's character or reputation. That crime, when spoken, is called slander; when written, libel. Since, as I've mentioned earlier, you have NO evidence to support these damages were done by metal detectorists, you might want to go easy on what you're putting forth on the internet.

wyolion

Nov 26, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3i, Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the same line that the BLM would try to convince you is true. When I hunt the old trails, which I do a fair amount of, I make sure to have copies of the 1976 ARPA law with me. The law specifically states that the collection, for private purposes, of bullets, coins and minerals is allowed on Federal Land. I've had more then one discussion with Federal officials when they stopped and questioned me. Everytime I just simply pull out the law and show them. They had no idea what it said, even though that is the law they cite that I am in violation of.

Also "Othist", it states specifically in there the arrowheads are allowed to be picked up for private collections, as long as they are on the surface of the ground. What must be remembered is, they MUST BE ON THE SURFACE AND MUST BE ARROWHEADS. Spear points are not allowed to be picked up, or any other artifact. This was included in the law as the President at the time, Jimmy Carter's, favorite past time was hunting arrowheads in Georgia. He wouldn't sign the bill unless there was a provision for arrowheads.

wyolion

Nov 26, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Whites V3i, Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way, found an 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter near the trail this weekend. It's great hunting. Just make sure not to leave holes, regardless of what the surrounding country looks like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread