Advice on which metal detector to buy please?!?!:)

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett master hunter, fitzgeralds maxi-pulse plus, whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a metal detector this summer for primarily for gold rings, coins, maybe placer gold. i'll be searching on a non salted beach, rocky terrain, desert and pasture areas. I found these machines: used minelab gp extreme, jeotech, nokta gold sense or nokta velox. I can't make up my mind, the nokta has a lot of impressive testing done online but, the minelab is tried and true and also used. Jeo tech looks very impressive and I can get a steal on it. In the end, I just want the best! Please help!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's mxt will do the trick a lot of people will stir you to tesoro or a garret at pro or a mine lab but a white's to me is the best one out there
they sale over 18 different detector
that's more than any other company out there so they have one for you
Ooo and welcome

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You didn't mention how much you wanted to invest in a detector, but from your list of choices and your list of desires, I would pic the Minelab. Frank
PS, no I don't own a Minelab.

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to keep it around 1,000+or-. The new Minelabs are way overpriced in my opinion, so I'm looking at used ones or something altogether different like the 1,000 dollar nokta which are claiming extreme depths and excellent discrimination. Is it true or hype? A nice side by side comparison of a Minelabs gp and a nokta velox or the jeotech would be helpful. I just hate to spend that kind of money on something and only to be disappointed. Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had briefly looked at whites. Do you really think their in the same ball park as minelab gp and nokta which Kellyco advertises as professional equipment where as whites in the hobby category. I'm looking for the best at the end of the day and ill pay more if I need to. Which whites do you think can go head to head whith a minelab gp extreme?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's pulse scan T.D.I pro will do an excellent job when it come to comparing an over 5000.00 dollar defector too a 2000.00 dollar other than that there is no other company that makes a pulse that will go that deep.....the mine lab has a fixed ground balance that is a surprise to me... the white's has manual ground balance so there should be no ground that will hinder the white's
ever price a mine lab battery
the other you list are they even made in America nokta is but it's a v.l.f the others can't find

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
For what you are looking for in the way of targets, you are going way overboard on the selections. You don't need all that expense and bother in operation. If you want to have fun and at the same locate the targets you have indicated, Pick up a used Whites XLT. It will find all those targets and is easy to use plus it is advanced enough to be programed if you reach that point. I have been using one for over 13 years with no problems and have found much more than is on your list. Later, you can add specialty detectors as I have done. Good luck, Frank

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took another look at whites and picked up a TDI model, now I need to find a battery pack or two. The whits web site has them for 199.00, a little pricey. Does anyone know of a lower cost solution or a way to make them?
Thanks for all your advice, it's been very helpful!!
Gill

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gill , I would not recommend the TDI for certain types of hunting you listed: Land hunting (parks, cow pastures, etc..). Just way too squirelly sensitive, IMHO for certain uses. TID ranges very limited (about all you can do is tell highs from lows.... and iron too, if you're willing to forgo depth. Good beach machine though .

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
the mxt would have been my choice just my 2 cents for what thats worth

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher Goldbug pro or Teknetics G2 and a pinpointer...

OP
OP
J

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading a lot on this and other forums and I believe specialization is the way to go. I have so far a Fitzgeralds maxi-pulse and a whites TDI. based on my research on my research, the next one should be a nautilus Dmc IIb and probably a gold bug 2. I think this will give me versatility.

By the way anybody know where I can find low cost batteries for a whites TDI?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab 705 gold or the Goldbug would have been my choices.
Especially if you are asking 'what to get'.
I was at a park with a guy with a new Etrac before. I had my little Fisher F2 in my trunk and had stopped after work.
He had NO IDEA what he was even pushing or listening too, cause he was new, and so many options/settings on the top end detectors, that I totally SMOKED him with my F2 on finds.
$199 vs $1799 detectors.
Expensive means nothing if you do not know your machine.
I'd put a granny in a Bonnyville up against a guy in a stick-shift Ferrari any day... any day that the guy in the Ferarri doesn't know what a 'clutch' is for and never drove a stick shift.... get it?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I've been reading a lot on this and other forums and I believe specialization is the way to go. I have so far a Fitzgeralds maxi-pulse and a whites TDI. based on my research on my research, the next one should be a nautilus Dmc IIb and probably a gold bug 2. I think this will give me versatility.

By the way anybody know where I can find low cost batteries for a whites TDI?

You are shooting fish in a barrel. I guess you have a lot of money to burn. You have a TDI you now don't need a Gold Bug 2.
Whites makes another version of the TDI that can take a pack that holds regular batteries. Maybe it will work in your TDI. Check with Whites. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jadbert

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2013
Spring lake, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you have a good point, maybe if I get a very small coil for the TDI, I won't need a gold bug for placer gold. As far as this battery pack, I haven't seen any other information on this. Is there a web site? I already bought the TDI by the way, just trying to find batteries reasonably priced. Thanks frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yeah, you have a good point, maybe if I get a very small coil for the TDI, I won't need a gold bug for placer gold. As far as this battery pack, I haven't seen any other information on this. Is there a web site? I already bought the TDI by the way, just trying to find batteries reasonably priced. Thanks frankn

Yes Whites has a web site. Forget the small coil for placer work. It would take forever to cover the site. 9 to 12" works best. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread