My pulltab to gold ratio,, 12.2 ounces of tabs to 6 gold rings 1 chain

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've see a few people ask how many pulltabs dose someone have to dig to find gold. As we all know it is subjective to where you hunt. Myself I exclusively hunt in city parks and 1 county fair ground.

Before I got the MXT on Jan 22 2013 I used a Bounty hunter lone star and only pulled clad. In the almost 2 months since getting the MXT I have saved 98% of all my p-tabs which equal to 12.2 ounces. In the same 2 months I have unearthed 6 gold rings. Granted I have put in a ungodly amount of hours hunting and learning my machine. So for myself I guess I'm digging up 2.03 Ounces of p-tabs per 1 gold ring. I can live with that. :headbang:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea baby
white's detectors are the best
bounty hunter...Yea right
this post says it all

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
andre1002, I notice a few things from your pix: I see no other types of aluminum. Like, I'm not seeing foil wads, can slaw, lawn-mower chopped tabs, etc... So are we to assume that you did some sort of "enhancement" programs? For example, perhaps even though you were "digging tabs", yet you did in fact disc edit OUT some other nuisance things: like smaller foil wads, etc... ? If so, then of course you'd have missed smaller daintier rings. Some of those small solitaires, as we all know, can contain the biggest diamonds :)

There was a particular blighted area park, in San Francisco CA, that dated to the 1870s, that was scraped and dozed up to make way for incoming artificial turf. While it was in various stages of scraping and dozing, we got in there to hunt for old coins that would be revealed. Naturally, since it was all dozed and jumbled up, we could hunt in "relic mindset". Ie.: dig everything above iron. I saved every single item I found, for an entire week (junk and everything). At the end of that week, I tallied up all the junk, verses old coins, verse gold items, etc.... I did in fact have several gold items (a few rings, a charm, a watch part, etc...). But I can tell you for a fact, that had it not been for the turf being scraped, it simply would not have been worthwhile for anyone to have though they could go to a turfed park like this, to be a hero and try to get gold rings. My ratio of aluminum junk to each gold item was easily 200 to 1. Simply not worth it (you'd be kicked out of the park before you'd ever have gotten a gold item :))

So while it's true, that if a person goes to turfed parks and digs enough tabs, he'll eventually get something gold .... yet it's often much easier, if gold is someone's goal, to simply go to places where gold rings are much more condusive, and odds aren't as punishing: swimming beaches.

OP
OP
A

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
andre1002, I notice a few things from your pix: I see no other types of aluminum. Like, I'm not seeing foil wads, can slaw, lawn-mower chopped tabs, etc... So are we to assume that you did some sort of "enhancement" programs? For example, perhaps even though you were "digging tabs", yet you did in fact disc edit OUT some other nuisance things: like smaller foil wads, etc... ? If so, then of course you'd have missed smaller daintier rings. Some of those small solitaires, as we all know, can contain the biggest diamonds :)

There was a particular blighted area park, in San Francisco CA, that dated to the 1870s, that was scraped and dozed up to make way for incoming artificial turf. While it was in various stages of scraping and dozing, we got in there to hunt for old coins that would be revealed. Naturally, since it was all dozed and jumbled up, we could hunt in "relic mindset". Ie.: dig everything above iron. I saved every single item I found, for an entire week (junk and everything). At the end of that week, I tallied up all the junk, verses old coins, verse gold items, etc.... I did in fact have several gold items (a few rings, a charm, a watch part, etc...). But I can tell you for a fact, that had it not been for the turf being scraped, it simply would not have been worthwhile for anyone to have though they could go to a turfed park like this, to be a hero and try to get gold rings. My ratio of aluminum junk to each gold item was easily 200 to 1. Simply not worth it (you'd be kicked out of the park before you'd ever have gotten a gold item :))

So while it's true, that if a person goes to turfed parks and digs enough tabs, he'll eventually get something gold .... yet it's often much easier, if gold is someone's goal, to simply go to places where gold rings are much more condusive, and odds aren't as punishing: swimming beaches.

Hey Tom over in Ca,, I do dig bits of foil and on occasion a chunck of can slaw. But, the title on This thread I created IS "My pulltab to gold ratio". Hence only the pulltabs. all the other crap goes into the garbage can.. and BTW the small lawnmower cut p-tabs are in there too. So To answer your question. No, Tom I did not do some sort of "enhancement" as you sugguest. Infact if you look at my photo you will see the 2 smaller rings on the outer edges.. Both rang up at -0 VDI (FOIL) so again No I'm not missing the smaller daintier rings either.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...Im a pulltab digger...how else could I find my precious gold?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've been on the beaches here in CA, after storms, when mother nature has stripped off a bunch of sand, leaving only the heavier items. Coins, sinkers, nails, etc... All the light stuff (tabs, bottle caps, and sometimes even the lighter zinc pennies) have been pulled off, in mother nature's sluice-box effect. You can get gold rings, without ever having dug a single aluminum item (because the aluminum simply isn't there). Alas, those beach conditions don't occur that often (sometimes several years go by without the right combination of tides/swells). But when they do, it's sort of hard to ever pull yourself to go back to turf to do your "gold ring" hunting. Doh! :)

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before I got the MXT on Dec 22 2013 I used a Bounty hunter lone star and only pulled clad.

Wow we've traveled a year in time. Cool, I've always wanted to do that. Nice rings.

OP
OP
A

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow we've traveled a year in time. Cool, I've always wanted to do that. Nice rings.

Oop's I corrected it.. I got it on Jan 22 not dec..... I was thinking dec as I typed it because it was a late christmas gift and I corolated the holiday with Dec.. haha

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great presentation....I always dig my pulltabs, too. That was the only way I started finding gold rings.
I did notice in your pile alot of newer pulls than older ones. My area I seem to find alot of older pulls than newer ones.
Anyway, very nice gold!!

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Nevada we use the pull tabs to help our Veterans get treatment for dialysis. If you check with your local VFW, they might do the same where you live.
Nevada Coyote

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My MXT was/is a gold magnet. Before I swtiched to the Etrac I would pull gold at about the same ratio as you. With the Etrac it is about the same. Just proves the point, you ain't digging pull tabs you ain't digging gold.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, I really think you should be saving the wads of foil and slaw for recycling purposes. LOL. I heard that it takes approximately 1200 Pulltabs to make a pound. Can you confirm this as it appears you should have enough?

Dan
MariposaGold

OP
OP
A

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried clearing out all tabs under ride

Hi heres my results for cleaning out tabs under one ride. No gold but a ring did lurk there.

Get Digging!
CARM

Attachments

• 4_1_2012 kitty ring.JPG
    4_1_2012 kitty ring.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 119

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread