Black canyon creek arizona

mcurran123

Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mcurran123 said:
mcurran123 said:
I was in the near future thinking of going to black canyon river city in arizona. I was wondering if anyone would be helpful enough to give me info on the following:laughing7: questions:

is the creek easy to access from roads
where is a good area to pan for gold off private property and claims
is it safe enough to bring my wife
directions to the panning area
is the water real deep and wide

thanks
[/QUOTE

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
So. Are you looking for the "Lost Placer" claim of Black Canyon Creek ? Story says it lies somewhere between Arrastre Creek and Poland Creek on Black Canyon. The Spanish miner's two sons (who knew approximately where the claim was), never were able to pinpoint the exact location after he died. However, all the tributaries of Black Canyon Creek contain some gold. I've heard locals mention Turkey Creek as a productive location, (it's probably the most accessable with a road nearby). Just be careful about parking inside any gated roads at night, property owners will have your car towed without notice. A website called "geozone.com" has all the map nformation you'll need. I'll be camping and working over on Rose Creek between Stoneridge Rd and Faine Park after April 15th. Just look for the big green Tee Pee tent. Faine Park is beautiful by the way. They built a waterfall there. It ain't real, but its pretty to look at.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Oh Sure. Bring your wife. Area is real safe. Lots of cowboys wearin big knives and shootin irons, but that's everywhere in Arizona. I stayed on Rose Creek 6 weeks last year, and i only had a wild pig walk through my camp one night. Don't know what he was doin there, i keep a really clean camp. Probably just being obnoxious. Anyway, plenty of nice restaraunts nearby and a big flea market other side of Faine Park on the highway. It's a good place to pick up camping gear and groceries. There's also a top notch prospecting store across the street from the Flea Market. They'll also buy any gold you want to sell. It's next door to the Tobbaco Store.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the stories

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a word of caution. You cannot throw a rock without it hitting an active gold claim in 90-percent of the Bradshaw Mountains. If it is "Easy" to get to and has gold on it - it's claimed. Lynx Creek, in Fain Park in Prescott Valley, offers free panning and detecting areas that are EASY to get to. If you live in Arizona - Join a club!

Y NOT Prospectors Club
PO Box 366
Congress, AZ 85332
Tom & Maggie
928-427-9605

Roadrunners Prospectors Club, Inc.
PO Box 56804
Phoenix, AZ 85079-6804 USA
Office: 1-602-274-2521 or fax: 1-602-274-4335
E-Mail:
[email protected]

Desert Gold Diggers
The Desert Gold Diggers Inc.
6809 E. Hayne
Tucson, AZ 85710
Ph: 1-520-886-3275
E-Mail:
[email protected]

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Just pull up to the first bridge on Stoneridge Road and walk down Rose Creek to the elevated waterpipe running across the top of the canyon. (Doesn't cost ANYTHING to join OUR club). Anyone can show you about a half dozen other places within a stones throw that are unclaimed, where you can pan for FREE. Clubs are expensive to join, they don't guarantee you won't be hassled by whackos and weirdos anyway, (afterall they'll take anybodies money), and the claims are pounded to death, (like everywhere else in gold country). Just ask anyone who's visited a GPAA claim anywhere. I understand the mentality though. I used to belong to a yacht club in New Orleans, till i figured out i was wasting money, and moved my 29 foot sailboat to a public marina.

OP
OP
M

mcurran123

Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks catfish for the info. was that the first bridge from highway 69? is that the camping location where you were talking about?is this location next to a golf course? Tell us more about your club? sorry for all the questions.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
It's not a formal club. People just go there regularly. Someone on the Prescott city council owns some of the land on Rose Creek and he's friendly to recreational prospectors. As long as you keep your campsite clean and abide by fire restrictions you're welcome to stay as long as you want. I see couples digging together there all the time. Families and kids hike down the creek from Faine Park on weekends. It's a very safe environment. You are wise to inquire about anywhere you go. According to National Forestry statistics, an average of 250 people go missing in each of the five largest parks in the Western United States. Half of these dissapearances result in fatalities. Only a fraction of these are the result of mechnical injuries, drownings, health problems and animal attacks. So statistically, you're about as safe in a national park as you are on the streets of Chicago, New Orleans or any other murder capital in the United Sates. Inotherwords, bring your GUN. Just to be on the safe side. I never had any call to use mine, but i carry one all the same.

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have panned and searched all over the area and I ALWAYS find color in Lynx creek; I just can't stand the crowds up stream on Rose creek, though... I stay downstream below Fain and am fine working alone except for the occasional prospector and dog walker...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread