vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Are you absolutely sure fella? Sorry, just couldn't resist.
killingme.gif

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you might think about leaving out burying it at the top

I guess if you were thinking about it, several natural elements would come into play. Weather, like rainfall amounts and general wind speed/direction would also play a role in erosion. Things on the top will eventually become uncovered over time, the middle and bottom may just make it appear deeper

But the real answer is the BOTTOM

People are just too lazy to climb anything larger than a molehill :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks spartacus. Very good point about the erosion and the laziness :laughing7:. I was just curious about how someone would think that may be trying to bury something (cache or treasure), especially if they have time to plan it out and think about it carefully and the region they were in offered hilly terrain. Ok, what would a previously dug area present itself many years later. Would the dirt settle and become consistent with the surrounding dirt hardness? Would there be any tell tell signs such as some kind of difference in how the vegetation grew there? Hope my questions are making sense. Thanks for the help.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you were to bury, try to choose spot(s). Looking over an area long enough you can find a spot better than just anywhere. Depending on what is (or was if you are looking for an old cache) around ,homes or road,trail or path and wanting to not be noticed while still being able to relocate it in the future.... land marks and hard to remove natural markers should narrow where a bit.
If soil layers vary some lower material could be on surface but blending a filled spot just takes care and a little more time.
Disturbed earth can be detected with ground penetrating radar. A very loose,(non compacted) fill or collapsed container to allow settling.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick the most sensible area and then figure it's not there as the idea was to hide it. So pick the least sensible area, but don't look there because that would be too obvious. So start where you don't think it is but not too far from where it might not be.

The best bet is to have someone 1,100 miles away look at a map and tell you where to start or take some photographs and look for smudges.

Or just pay your dues and detect and dig targets like the rest of us.

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies. I will definitely give it some thought. I've played around with trying to find a cache with really no luck, at least dug a lot of holes hoping to find something. I was just curious as to some ideas of what a cache site might present itself as. I had read that there would be a possiblity of seeing a depression or mound, but I was curious if over time erosion might level it out and even a that point reharden the soil. I didn't think about the soil layers being different. Would ground penetrating radar work for finding small ground disturbances (small caches)? And sorry if I keep asking questions. I had read somewhere else that sometimes caches can be buried close to old trees. How close to a tree could a cache be buried (considering the battle with any roots)? Thanks for the help.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I always look by a tree. However if the tree has died and the stump rotted away I wonder where a tree might have been. There is a good reason to bury treasure by a tree. It's ez to find as long as there is a tree.
I'm just having a fun night. Many treasures are under a bed. So, where's the bed? You get what I mean, Que' No!?
I've always had a hunch that in bad times people often didn't trust banks and would bury stuff. Like maybe Gold Eagles. Where I live there more stories of buried treasure from the time Spaniards claimed this land. Serious treasure but often hidden in mysterious clues.
My other hunch is most buried treasure is never found.
Hunch #3 Most treasure that was hidden was never told.
Anyone hiding a treasure needs a topographical sign. Reading old stories of buried loot it's amazing how often the person burying it can't find it again.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hvacker, your post reminds me of a friend who,s grandfather buried a belt of silver pesos in a brushy area behind his house in Mexico. Then when coast was clear again... could not find them.

OP
OP
C

chc1023

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I'm just responding back. Thanks for your replies. How close to a tree would you look? The other thing I wonder about is visibility to the site. Would someone want to bury something that has limited visibility or more open? Thanks for your help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread