Bottles, Glass, etc under houses?!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
How does it get there?! I have been very lucky finding this stuff under houses but cannot deduct why or how it gets there.

I was under a still standing 1800's era mansion today and could not believe how much glass is under the foundation! I cannot help but think of how it got there. The space under this particular home is shallow..not a basement or cellar. There is one spot under this house that has fragments of many bottles and dinner plates, all in a pile, almost like a trash pile. The foundation is completely brick around the perimeter with no obvious access. Only a recently rotted part of the floor allowed me access.

When I evaluate the obvious, I conclude that perhaps there was a hole in the floor at one time and perhaps it was used to dispose of "period" items. Then I think that this family must of had money and wouldn't have allowed such a breach in the floor.

A few years ago I lucked into an 1880's home that has just been torn down and found 34 intact bottles under it. I didn't see the home before it was torn down so I couldn't assess how the bottles may have gotten under it. But this most recent adventure has me puzzled to say the least.

Any and all insight solicited! Theories...even more welcomed.

Many Thanks;

Jamie

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Maybe some of the old bottles came during construction and the contractors just threw them there.
Alot of older homes were put on post and beam first and a more solid foundation was added later...so things could have been thrown for years there.
My grandma had a coal chute that we slid down and the floor was dirt...things were always thrown down it...and we also played under the front porch,drug toys,dishes etc under there.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was no garbage service, so people just threw their trash under the porches to get rid of it. Apparently, it was no big deal to them to just throw broken bottles and junk close to the house. I see it a lot at the old cellarholes that I hunt.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup,sometimes they would fill in the outside of the foundation using there trash.Some of them bottles could have come from grampa takin a nip now and then,then hiding the evidence !My Dad has a plumbing and heating business and guess who got to crawl into all the crawlspaces were he couldn't fit. ::) and to scare away any snakes ;D I used to(still do ) love to explore such places and sometimes would even fight with my brothers as to who got to crawl in first ! ;)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi 1320,people lazy,"out of site, out of mind" trash to far

t.p

Top Member Reactions