Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take is, that if you are sure that the city is the rightful new owner, and that it's slated for excavation and road construction, and it's not posted, go for it. The worse that could happen is that you'd be asked to leave.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are no signs or fences posted, I would say GO FOR IT! The worst that could happen is the property owner (if the city doesn't own it for some reason) sees you and asks you to leave. Then you can kindly apologize and move on. Let us know how it works out for you. HH

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry GMD! you beat me to it. But ya...what he said!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I agree with gmd52 and atomiscott: if the city has it, then ....there you go. Now is this to say that if you asked enough people in city hall "can I?" that you might not find someone to tell you "no"? No, of course not. You can always find someone to tell you "no", if you ask long enough and hard enough with enough key buzzwords. But ... I bet no one cares, unless you were sticking out like a sore-thumb, being a nuisance, etc... Thus, I mean, use due discretion, etc...

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just learned about an old farm property not too far from me that was taken by the city. They recently demolished the house, and I think the plan is to put in a road through the property in the future. I did confirm that the city now owns the property. Is this fair game to detect on now?

If you don't own the property you need permission to go metal detecting on it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you don't own the property you need permission to go metal detecting on it.

well .... in a way, yes. He DOES "own" the property. We ALL "own" our share of public property. Does that mean we can do "whatever we want on it"? No, of course not. That's why there's rules of governance are what is the guiding principle of our public land. So therefore, I will adjust my answer, and go with the following, so as to fit in with what treasurdiggrNY is saying (so we're in agreement): If the city codes have a rule saying "no metal detecting", then ... that would be your answer. But if there is no such rule, then ....... there you go. City codes, laws, etc... are available for public viewing, which anyone can look up. Eg.: on the city-website perhaps, or on the front desk in a binder at city hall, etc.... If you see no prohibitions on metal detecting, the presto, there you go.

But to be honest with you, I highly doubt such a rule is there. It's rare that ANY city has such specifics like that. You can check though .... if you want.

OP
OP
V

Veritas0589

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the responses. I drove to the property but unfortunately it was blocked off and a construction crew was working the area. I thought about coming back after they were done for the day, but they really did a number to the property. The ground was so torn up I'm not sure it would even be worth it. :dontknow:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the responses. I drove to the property but unfortunately it was blocked off and a construction crew was working the area. I thought about coming back after they were done for the day, but they really did a number to the property. The ground was so torn up I'm not sure it would even be worth it. :dontknow:

Really that's it .it was starting to turn toward an epic Tom and Digger war.
I'll be ok though my ground is thawed

OP
OP
V

Veritas0589

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really that's it .it was starting to turn toward an epic Tom and Digger war.
I'll be ok though my ground is thawed

If it makes you feel any better I did find this worn out little beauty at a park on my way home. Not a bad way to start the season. :happysmiley:

1918 Half.jpg

Kascus

Dec 27, 2012
Pensacola, Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Make sure there are no laws in your state about trespassing on a designated construction site. Here in Florida it is a 3rd degree felony if the site is posted. (F.S. 810.09d) Sometimes the signs are hard to see among all the equipment.
Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread