Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Permission granted - to search for family "stash" 65 years ago

A few months ago I posted about this. Thought I would provide an update.

My in-laws are Japanese internment camp survivors. In early 1942, just before they were shipped off to the camp, the family buried "personal items" in the back yard of their rented house in Guadalupe, CA. They never had a chance to go back for it - until now.

We have located the property owners (same family as in 1942!) and gotten permission to search and dig the property.

Anybody in the area want to help?

Also, I need help with modern satellite photos of the property. The 1942 house and trees are gone (but we have an aerial photo from that era). I'm hoping for some additional evidence from sat photos. I can get Yahoo maps images, but not enough detail... Can't get Google Earth to work on my PC.

Thanks,

DCMatt

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Permission granted - to search for family "stash" 65 years ago

Thanks Baron. I saw that one. I think those pics are from @ 1994 - black & white, low res... Less detail than Yahoo...

BTW, February 23 is our date to search the place.

DCMatt

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin

Try this.
http://local.live.com/?pkw=virtual_earth
It's web-based, so you don't have to download or install anything.
Switch from "Road" to either "Aerial" or "Hybrid" views when you get zoomed in to the area. View in "map view" or "bird's eye view". Bird's eye view looks down at a slight angle, so you'll see the sides of structures and you can rotate the view around N,S,E, or W. It'll give you a distance scale and you can print the photos out, too.

Your other option would be to try the county website and see if they have any aerial or sat maps online. More recent maps can get pretty clear, close up resolution.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

google ''terraclient''...........click on the site of bill freidrich.....free download....great aerials if your screen is large enough........gldhntr

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the place has a street address you can type it into this link.Even if it doesn't you can type in the neighborhood or street name and city and state and go from there.This is a real estate site with good maps that you can zoom in on,Example-I saw the red ford pick-up truck in my Aunts' backyard in Ga.,when I put her address in and zoomed in on it. The site uses "Globexplorer" which is used in property searches,which is what your looking for.Good luck with your search and keep us updated. :)http://www.zillow.com

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY

Honestly, i think google earth keeps the most updated pictures, and the google earth database uses the same images as maps.google.com. So i would try there, its really easy to use.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt said:
I can get Yahoo maps images, but not enough detail... Can't get Google Earth to work on my PC.

Thanks,

DCMatt

deadringer said:
Honestly, i think google earth keeps the most updated pictures, and the google earth database uses the same images as maps.google.com. So i would try there, its really easy to use.
He can't get google earth for some reason.Server too slow? Dial-up? Did you try the site I suggested? You might be surprised. :)

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have dial-up at home (I get enough of computers at work...).

My work has a firewall and other securty in place that won't let me see Google Earth or zillow. Google maps seems to work. That may do it for me.

Thanks for the help!

DCMatt

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

try this link for satellite photos. you can also overlay with topos------best of luck to you

http://billfriedrich.tripod.com/

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt said:
I have dial-up at home (I get enough of computers at work...).

My work has a firewall and other securty in place that won't let me see Google Earth or zillow. Google maps seems to work. That may do it for me.

Thanks for the help!

DCMatt
Ihave dial up at home too,zillow works fine for me here,give it a shot. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread