How do You stay safe?

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Be observant, look around before the detector comes out of the vehicle. Try to stay alert to what is around you, it will be difficult. Try to find places to hunt away from people. When all else fails, carry a bazooka. ::)

DM

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Para Ordanance P-12 45 all the time.....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attitude helps >:( if someone approachs you look at them like "who the #@!$%#@! are you"
change your stance (lean your weight on the foot bend that knee opposite the side you punch with)
if your on the ground looking up its better
your legs are stronger
so if you need to stand up an slam someones nose into there sinus cavity with your palm
dont cross your arms
look them in the eye ask them "WHATS UP!"
dont let them get more then 10 feet from you
much closer you become distracted by there body movements
someone will come up and smash you in the head
carrying a shovel a digger a hand trowel(lesch)a ice pick choose which fits the situation
also when im out in the sticks
i wear boots and 9 inch long fixed blade boot knife tucked in my boot
hides well under a loose fitting pair of jeans or rain gear
thats only because im solo
if you go out get a pal to tag along even if they dont MD explore take pics smoke dope what ever :D :D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bring my bodyguard Katherine shes five and knows karate !!!! ;D Seriously though around these parts the only thing you need to worry about really is open wells when out in the woods.I once had two shady looking characters stop by while detecting a spot way out in the boonies.They asked me if i had seen any woodchucks as they were hunting them.I told em " nope just the two of you "They looked at me like i was nuts and left ! ;D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have an old family farm that I hunt on a lot, sometimes by myself. My relatives still live next door, so I call them and let them know that I am coming over. I hunt only during the day and I always carry a cell phone and mace. Carrying a boot knife is not a bad idea.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
After years in the military and living in some nasty places...I can tell you this works.

First off, if someone just looks shady, trust that instict. Next off, dont act scared, or even agressive. Just give a big grin and ask "How are you?" Acting like other people are around and know exactly where you are helps too.

Of course, I grin and say how are you whiile I have a big cowboy action .357 strapped to my hip in plain view....

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Don't know, never have felt unsafe. Carrying that entrenching tool with the pick spike sticking out should dissuade all but the craziest or most heavily armed. Plus, when alone, I NEVER wear headphones and have volume turned down on the MD, cell is turned on. Lots of crazies out there, just haven't run into them where I MD.

Tourezrick

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Always carry a can of law enforcement issue CS/OC spray in my pocket while in the field, it will stop nearly all attacks dead in their tracks and provides a nice window of opportunity to do what you feel is appropriate to the attacker.

I do not recommend firearms - too much trouble if you point them at, or worse, pull the trigger. Get you a nice can of CS/OC off the internet and you'll be fine (I recommend fog over stream).

HH/Night Stalker

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have one spot I go and it is a city Wilderness area. This is in the city limits but is designed for tails, fishing etc. I normally go by myself, so depending on the number of cars in the parking lot will depend on if I MD the more the better. When I get out of my truck I make sure everybody sees my digging tools such as the 10in screwdriver which I carry in my hand as I head out. I have a pack that I carry with other mean looking tools sticking out that are more for show then use. I may or may not venture to far off the trails depending on who is thiere, if families or couples are there I go off the trails. I like the idea of the CS/OC.

OP
OP
Daisy

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Thank you everyone for the great tips. It seems I did just about everything wrong which is propably why I ended up in a hairy situation. I think the bigest problem was being overconfident with my strength and abilities in self defence. I enjoy heading into the bush on my own and felt prepared to deal with any environmental survival situation.
This spring, I headed to a popular but isolated fishing spot in Quebec to do some kayaking. I planed to detect the beaches once the crowd started to leave. During the day I must of chatted with half a dozen people. One man was particularly interested in my kayak and he asked for some info/recommendations on different styles etc. He was very pleasant (good looking too ;) )and I was more than happy to inform him about the sport. He moved on after a few minutes. Well time flew by and it started getting really dark. Heading back to shore I realised everyone had gone. No biggie. As I was lifting the kayak on the car The man appeared right behind me. I don't scare very easily but I just about jumped out of my skin. He asked me about my catch, what lures I was using, etc. Meanwhile I tried to strap down the kayak as quickly as possible. Who knows maybe it was all very Innocent in nature but the way he kept looking around and getting closer really freaked me out. He stood about a foot away the whole time I was moving around to get the straps tied. There have been 5 women murdered and dumped on local trails in the past three years, so I sure as hell wasn't sticking around to find out what his intentions were. One of the park employees arrived to lock up the information cabin, so I just took off. On the drive out it occurred to me that he must of been hidding in the bush since his canoe was no where to be seen and there weren't any other cars in the parking lot. Needless to say it took a few months for me to be comfortable out in the bush again let alone detecting with the big stereo headphones.
As you have mentioned never let your guard down. I was so worried about encountering the four legged beasts I forgot about the two legged ones. Unfortunately a gun is not an option. But I will be looking into acquiring some form of spray. I do carry two BIG knives. One on my life jacket and one in the side pocket of my pack. Both of which were in the trunk at the time. :-[
Ladies and gentlemen please be carefull out there. Thanks again for the recommendations. Daisy
PS where would one by the sprays and do you need a permit?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
My friends,
Sometimes the danger does not come from people but big cats and maybe even a bear or two.
When I am going into the wilderness I go expecting problems this way if it comes I am prepared.
I suggest that you take a BIG DOG. They will alert you before whatever it out there gets close.
This is no different than diving-NEVER EVER GO ALONE.
Here is something that I came up with for the Calif Trail bike riders. A few had been attacked by Mountin Lions and killed.
I recorded a group of hunting dogs on the hunt. Lots of barking. I then got a boom box and played the disc at full volume for about 3 minutes.
Believe it or not it cleared out every animal within a few miles and I mean EVERY animal. I am happy to say that since this was done there has not been a Big cat seen in that area for a long time.
Wild animals do not want to hear the sound of a pack of dogs hunting. IT WORKS.
I always go fully armed and then some.
I recall one time when I was in Az in the ORO BLANCO area.
I had driven my 4 wheel drive jeep to a place where there was no sign of anybody.
I climbed up to a pile of rocks to check out a mine opening.
I looked down to where my jeep was and saw 5 people walking around it.
I unstrapped my rifle and took a closer look through the scope and saw that the all had side arms.
I yelled down to them and asked what they wanted. I was hidden in the rocks. They asked to come down and wanted to know if my jeep was for sale. I said no and told them to hit the trail. I then noticed that 2 hand their guns in their hands. I knew that they were smugglers. I then put the cross hairs on a rock close to them and fire a round. They had no idea where I was but they knew then that I was armed.
They left in a hurry and never looked back. I stayed hidden for another 15 minutes. Then I went to my jeep and left the area.
By the way my weapon was a 30-06 with a 40 weaver scope.
Of course back then I was FEARLESS and had just gotten out of the service where I was a Sniper for over 11 years. I could have taken out this whole group in short order but this was not the time or place.
And the story goes on.
Peg Leg

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Night Stalker said:
I Always carry a can of law enforcement issue CS/OC spray in my pocket while in the field, it will stop nearly all attacks dead in their tracks and provides a nice window of opportunity to do what you feel is appropriate to the attacker.

I do not recommend firearms - too much trouble if you point them at, or worse, pull the trigger. Get you a nice can of CS/OC off the internet and you'll be fine (I recommend fog over stream).

HH/Night Stalker

I have been hit full in the face with military grade capstun and tear gas. It stopped me for about fifteen seconds, and then reaaaaaallly pissed me off. I was part of a demostration on the effectiveness of nonlethal riotcontrol devices.

I can tell you this: The beanbag out of a 12ga feels like getting thumped by the hammer of Thor...

As far as firearms go: I have had three instances not as a military person that called for me pointed a loaded weapon at another human being. All three times the other human being decided to beat feet and get the hell out of there. Unless you live in California, just about every state has legal provisions for self defense.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
As an attorney, I advise EVERYONE to check the weapons laws in your area if you're going to carry a knife, pepper spray, or firearm. In many places, possession of pepper spray is legal, but carrying it concealed is not. Non-folding knives are also illegal in many places. 29 of the 50 states have fairly liberal firearms carry laws. Just check the laws before you decide to carry a weapon.

On the other side of the coin, the best thing you can do is to be prepared and observant. Carry a cell phone (pressing 9 and send will almost always dial 911). Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention. Going with a buddy is also a good idea. My personal recomendation... always carry a small first aid kit. Thihs isn't just about protection, its about being safe. Also, if you're going out into the woods, brush up on what type of wildlife is floating around...

steve

OP
OP
Daisy

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure its illegal for civilians to carry hand guns. Even if they were legal, I'm not sure I could live with myself if I accidentally shot an Innocent person... :-\

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
scraper said:
I'm in Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure its illegal for civilians to carry hand guns. Even if they were legal, I'm not sure I could live with myself if I accidentally shot an Innocent person... :-\

It is usually REALLY easy to tell the difference. However, the US Department of Justice statistics and anectdotal evidence (i.e.my own) show that usually just pointing a weapon at some people in an authoritative manner will neutralize the threat instantly.

As far as guns being illegal in Canada....I was considering emigrating there. Guess not now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread