Judgeing a book by its cover II

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Judgeing a book by it's cover II

I think everyone, no exceptions, judges another person by what they first see. It is built into our wiring. It is part of our survival instincts. Like Identify, friend or foe. Like fight or flight. That's how the hand shake started. You held out your hand to show you carried no weapon. There is an old saying, First impressions are lasting. That means your first impressions last until proven otherwise. On top of this you place impressions based on your own upbringing. Need I say more? Frank...

111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn,

Da Vinci was a Classical painter. Should have posted a Monet or Degas because (wait for it, wait for it)...they were a couple of the "First Impressionists". See what I did there? :wink:

Sorry, couldn't help it...I'm going back to work now. :-\

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
A person's "cover" can be viewed many ways by different people and no two will be exactly the same.

I never liked to put a label on anyone at first meeting. Could you be wrong about someone if your current frame of mind is having a bad day.. or your standard doesn't match theirs at the time?

It takes more than a first impression to see the real person.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn,

Da Vinci was a Classical painter. Should have posted a Monet or Degas because (wait for it, wait for it)...they were a couple of the "First Impressionists". See what I did there? :wink:

That was a pretty good one.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think Frank is 100% right, its human nature to judge some one with your first impression , but that is when your real character should kick in and your brain tells you to stop being silly and give the person a chance.
with some people it just does not kick in.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hay, I got to admit that was a good takeoff comment! Actually I prefer realism. When I view there work, It kind of looks like a fuzzy rendition of what they actually saw. Frank...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

black bamboo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
A person's "cover" can be viewed many ways by different people and no two will be exactly the same.

I never liked to put a label on anyone at first meeting. Could you be wrong about someone if your current frame of mind is having a bad day.. or your standard doesn't match theirs at the time?

It takes more than a first impression to see the real person.

I think the first impression is like a reflex based on your experiences in life, It's not something you put a lot of thought into. Thats why our fightr planes have IFF systems. Frank...

STILL LIFE-000-3 croc.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
i think Frank is 100% right, its human nature to judge some one with your first impression , but that is when your real character should kick in and your brain tells you to stop being silly and give the person a chance.
with some people it just does not kick in.

I think the real problem is it is very hard to 'READ' some people. Look at those two bombers, most people thought they were nice guys. Some people are very good with the cover so you have to be savvy to survive today. It's not like it was when I was younger when moral standards were way higher. Frank...

STILL LIFE-0003 wolf.jpg

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology has and will continue to change the way humans relate to each other and our environment. We must see the good and the bad in this. I have always been one to form my own opinion of a person, place or thing as opposed to judging anything or anyone by someone else's opinion. Have I been wrong. Sure and I'll be the first to admit it. Social media and the internet has given rise to several serious issues. Forming an opinion or impression of a person face to face is way different than doing the same on the internet. The internet allows anyone to create a whole person, one may want to be or hope to be, yet not really be. Now before someone says it I'm not implying anything here. The internet also allows for person to create sympathy, apathy, acceptance, etc. that makes them feel good or better about themselves or helps them overcome personal issues (known or otherwise). When and if this internet world is questioned or violated as seen by that person it can create devastating results. "Judging a book by it's cover" via the internet can be a very, very tricky business. I'm confident the Mods had the best interest of this site in mind.

Gotta throw this in there. You know how some if not all web sites of this nature has a "Like" button? Can you imagine if there was a "Don't Like" button.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Technology has and will continue to change the way humans relate to each other and our environment. We must see the good and the bad in this. I have always been one to form my own opinion of a person, place or thing as opposed to judging anything or anyone by someone else's opinion. Have I been wrong. Sure and I'll be the first to admit it. Social media and the internet has given rise to several serious issues. Forming an opinion or impression of a person face to face is way different than doing the same on the internet. The internet allows anyone to create a whole person, one may want to be or hope to be, yet not really be. Now before someone says it I'm not implying anything here. The internet also allows for person to create sympathy, apathy, acceptance, etc. that makes them feel good or better about themselves or helps them overcome personal issues (known or otherwise). When and if this internet world is questioned or violated as seen by that person it can create devastating results. "Judging a book by it's cover" via the internet can be a very, very tricky business. I'm confident the Mods had the best interest of this site in mind.

Gotta throw this in there. You know how some if not all web sites of this nature has a "Like" button? Can you imagine if there was a "Don't Like" button.

There is but you have to hit the button twice to see it. lol Frank...

Elvis and Blues.jpg

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's this got to do with treasure hunting?
luvdux

Being judgmental could lead to you not getting a treasure lead. If you don't give people a chance to open up then they will never tell you about the old swimming hole they know about. If you don't look like you fit in someplace you will also have a harder time getting permission at some places.

I try to appear non-threatening to people when I am asking permission. I approach people without my detector and tools and I try to catch them outside. I think that knocking on doors can be a little threatening to some people so catching them in the yard is my preferred method.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi "A Man behind a mask can also tell you ,what you want to hear"

OR

"Skin Deep" Song by the Stranglers

tinpan

Attachments

• Sidney_Nolan_-Kelly-the_trial.jpg
    Sidney_Nolan_-Kelly-the_trial.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What's this got to do with treasure hunting?
luvdux

Ever ask permission to hunt? On what do you base your approach? Treasure hunting is more than detectors! Thing!!!!!! Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hi "A Man behind a mask can also tell you ,what you want to hear"

OR

"Skin Deep" Song by the Stranglers

tinpan

I think I would have a hard time believing the man behind the mask, that is unless it was the Lone Ranger, lol. I like to read facial expressions as someone talks. Sometimes tells more than what they are saying. Just my view. Frank...

111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread