ADVISE PLEASE?? WET GRASS ISSUES WHILE SCANNING. WATERPROOF COIL MAYBE?

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO I HAVE A MACHINE AND IT HAS THE AUTOMATIC GROUND BALANCING. ITS A GOOD DETECTOR BUT WHEN THE GRASS IS WET WITH A FRESH RAIN OR MAYBE HEAVY WITH DEW MY DETECTOR GOES A BIT CRAZY!! I TURN DOWN THE SENSIVITY QUITE A BIT TO WHERE IT STOPS BUT IM LOOSING SO MUCH DEPTH. ON A SCALE OF 1-12 ON MY DETECTOR I HAVE TO KEEP IT AT 3-4 FOR IT NOT TO FALSE ON WET GRASS....I TRY TO HOLD IT OVER THE GRASS SOME AND IT DOES BETTER BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION!!!!!!

WILL THE 10 INCH ELIPTICLE DD WATERPROOF COIL BY FIRST TEXAS/TEKNETICS HELP WITH THIS ISSUE???

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coils are waterproof....sounds like you have another problem, detecting in wet or moist conditions, is usually the best.

SS

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coils are waterproof....sounds like you have another problem, detecting in wet or moist conditions, is usually the best.

SS

IT IS THE BEST FOR CONDUCTIVITY, ITS JUST WHEN ITS WET MY DETECTOR FALSES A WHOLE LOT. DRY CONDITIONS ARE NOT A PROBLEM.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know what coil you are running. Could be coil has a problem with moisture getting inside somehow, or your site has lots of minerals in the ground. DD coils handle minerals better than concentric in general. Having a spare coil helps to trouble shoot for a coil problem also.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what coil you are running. Could be coil has a problem with moisture getting inside somehow, or your site has lots of minerals in the ground. DD coils handle minerals better than concentric in general. Having a spare coil helps to trouble shoot for a coil problem also.
Yes I agree, moisture is getting in some were....maybe the cable.

SS

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Unscrew, clean and re-screw all your connector's OUTCOME1.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried putting a lightweight kitchen garbage (plastic) bag over your coil and tying it up around the plastic lower rod? You probably have a leak in the coil or coil wire, and short of sending it in for repair this is a very quick fix..

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill try that!!! its a good detector but i have noticed that in wet medium tall grass as soon as it even hits a blade of grass (taller) it sounds off...dry it does not do this. i took the coil off and cleaned it really well and the connector and let it dry and hooked it back up. we will see...

could it be leaking where the coil and cable is coneected together at the little gasket opening on the coil itself?

its not a manual ground balance detector it is a auto balance but im not so sure that should matter. it should work in damp to wet grass enviroment. im not hunting really tall grass, just patches of taller grass.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, sure sounds like moisture. This has happened to me at least three times with my Explorer coils. The noise for you might be the same, which is the wet grass rubbing against the cable wire. It happened so fast with both my friend's detector and mine, we thought it was just how it was so both built shields to protect the cable. Eventually my coil completely went, and only once I had a new one did I realize both of us were using faulty ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread