A thought about detector improvements

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Hello All,

I was giving some thought on how to improve my THing and my detector?

With regard to Coin shooting old coins. Do you think there world be any value in setting a manual depth filter? For example I only want to get a response if my target is 6 inches or deeper. It seems most of my good finds are at least that deep or more and all my trash is less than 6. Are there any detectors out there that do this.

Also one other thought I had was having a large coil with multiple smaller inner coils built in, You push a button and you can select which level of coils you want without having to physically switch coils. For example you could disable the outer coil and use the inner 4 inch coil? Has this already been done?

Your thoughts?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to both. Garrett produced BFO machines with two sizes of coil in the loop. Flick a switch to select either. Depth of target could be judge when you had got in a little experience by comparing the different target response. Only real drawback was the increased weight and the second coil must have cut the sensitivity of the one in use due to its metal content.

Depth masking was a built in feature of several detectors in the early days of motion machines. Compass and Tesoro each had models with this feature. The more sophisticated version allowed the depth to be varied so you could dial in three, four or more inches as the site conditions dictated.
Why isn't it a feature on todays machines when it did work ? Two drawbacks (1) you missed good items near surface (2) you missed deep good items where they were under more shallow items that were being ignored in the top few inches of the soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread