Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy Zebco

I have used Zebco reels for over 50 years. They were made in Tulsa Oklahoma and pretty much a quality product. Now they are made in China. I had a little trouble with the last Zebco I bought about 10 years ago but thought it was just me. I thought I would buy a new one and this is it. Brand new, just out of the box. After the fourth cast. And yes I did check it out before I used it to see if the line was wrapped right, etc. Zebco is a piece of crap and my Grandpa is spinnin in his grave. Over them I would recommend reels by Shurfine, Starbucks, General Mills, Quaker, Whole Foods, or just anybody who decided they could add a fishin reel to their product line, get it made in a foreign country for a quarter and sell it over here for twenty bucks.

Attachments

• 5-30p.jpg
    5-30p.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 355

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mitchell all the way.. Have used them all my life and fished 43 states and countless species of fish with them.. Very reliable and durable reel in my opinion..

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you pong. Somebody makes a reel like Zebco used to be back in the 60's and they will own the market.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Over them I would recommend reels by Shurfine, Starbucks, General Mills, Quaker, Whole Foods, or just anybody who decided they could add a fishin reel to their product line

Hey RGINN,

I had a Zebco and always liked it. Caught some with it, too. Sorry to see what they've become.

Good one on the Starbux Reel.

mzi-F8z2J4Hwio1fPoTWxug.jpg

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the best Zebco's are on the bottom of the lake. Rapala reel's all the way.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I tell you what, I grew up very poor and it was an uptown thing to have a spinning reel. And I had one when I was 12. The Zebco 202. That thing was a killer for catfish. Man, you could not tear it up. If you did you kept the parts cause they were interchangeable with other Zebcos. The 33 was the thing for castin, or basically bass fishin. I cannot tell you how many largemouths I reeled in with that one 33 (well actually I can, cause I remember every fish I ever caught) I'm gonna mail this defective reel back to Zebco. I will let y'all know what they got to say about it. Unless they reply in Chinese. If they replied in Spanish I would be able to decipher that at least.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eagle claws are a good reel ive had the same one for over 20 years and still works like a new one

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't care for the rapala I had barely got through two seasons I do swear by there lures Mitchell and Shakespeare have gone down hill I don't think I've found a good real since I paid an arm and a leg for a cabellas and that wasn't worth the money I think quality at a reasonable price is at the bottom of the lake

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my pflueger presidential never had any problems and have caught monsters on it

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what?china stuff is crap?
whew....good thing my family buys american and european made exclusively.When we want to make a purchase I research it first,we save up,and get the good stuff.The china crap still slips in and I cant believe how badly it is made.
harder and harder to get made in the usa(usually just packaged here so they can say it)

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I grew up with a trout stream in my backyard. Back in the 60's and 70's if you had a Zebco...you had something. I bought my boys a couple in the 90's and they lasted about one outing.
Trout fishing is my first love, and in the last 6-8 yrs, detecting has cut into my fishing time alot. I haven't used closed face reels for years. They aren't nearly fast enough for spinner fishing, which is all I use for trout and smallies. I also fly fish some. I catch several hundred trout a season and make probably tens of thousands casts per season. Reels get replaced every other year. I have been most pleased with Shimano reels. I have tried alot of different ones over the years including $150- Pinnacles. I like the fifty dollar grade of Shimanos the best.
Im also a big fan of Cabelas Pro Guide rods and blanks, and stren line.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mitchell all the way.. Have used them all my life and fished 43 states and countless species of fish with them.. Very reliable and durable reel in my opinion..

Zebco went to crap a long time ago, it's a throw-away garbage reel now. I think Mitchell's are a northern thing. Never heard of them until I googled my own name.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say it ain't so. I grew up on Zebco 202. I tournament fished and kinda liked the abu garcia for bait casting. I also heard China bought "Smithfield hams". Life is not fair.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used Zebco reels for over 50 years. They were made in Tulsa Oklahoma and pretty much a quality product. Now they are made in China. I had a little trouble with the last Zebco I bought about 10 years ago but thought it was just me. I thought I would buy a new one and this is it. Brand new, just out of the box. After the fourth cast. And yes I did check it out before I used it to see if the line was wrapped right, etc. Zebco is a piece of crap and my Grandpa is spinnin in his grave. Over them I would recommend reels by Shurfine, Starbucks, General Mills, Quaker, Whole Foods, or just anybody who decided they could add a fishin reel to their product line, get it made in a foreign country for a quarter and sell it over here for twenty bucks.

Hell RGINN that nasty bird nest aint got nothin to do with the quality of the reel. Put fifty yards of green stren in 'er and you will think it was forty years ago, I promise.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell RGINN that nasty bird nest aint got nothin to do with the quality of the reel. Put fifty yards of green stren in 'er and you will think it was forty years ago, I promise.
If that's the case gleaner don't you think they should have sold it that way? Why should I buy their reel and then have to buy other stuff to modify it and make it work? But you are probably right I did not like the look and feel of that red stuff they sell the reel with.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN I got one for my grandson last year ....same peice of junk as yours!!!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what?china stuff is crap?
whew....good thing my family buys american and european made exclusively.

Bought some hamburger the other day, package says "Product of USA and Mexico".

When I was a little kid, we lived right by the Rio Grande river in Colorado, use to catch rainbow and brown trout on the ole reliable Zebco all day long.

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe Cracker Jacks could start making reals. At least we could have a snack while fixing the problem.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father boughtme a Zebco 202 when i was a kid. Early 70's. It still works to this day.its a shame the quality of products go sour. Black and decker is the same way.good then,junk now .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread