Just Ask!!!!

rush30

Nov 8, 2006
Northeast, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I was driving past an old,empty house today,it sits on 5 acres of land has 2 barn's, and date's back to the late 1800's, and you think to yourself ,"I would love to detect that property"! I'm sure you know the feeling! I noticed an elderly man doing some work around the outside of the house , i thought to myself,I know their's 5" of snow on the ground, but spring is just around the corner! If anything that i learned from this site is, if you don't ask, you don't receive!!!!!!!!!! I asked if i could detect his property, and he said YES! I couldn't believe it! Now all i have to do is wait for the snow to melt, and the ground to thaw!

rush

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, and for him, for being hospitable.

I bet you're itchin' to get out there. I remember one old church in NC I had my eye on for a long time. Not long after I finally got permission to detect there, a blizzard came up. I couldn't stand it, though. I went out there and detected as the snow fell. It hadn't accumulated yet and the ground wasn't really frozen. I kept the car running with the heat on full blast and would get out and detect for ten or fifteen minutes, then dash back inside the car to thaw my hands out.

Man, I was hardcore then.

But that first day I remember hitting a hole full of pennies- first I dug several early Wheaties out of it, and the last coin to come out was an 1899 Indian cent.

Snow isn't an issue where I live now- there hasn't been any here since the freak snowfall of 1989.

I've gotten too shy to ask permission much anymore, unless I have an introduction or some other way of broaching the subject. I just don't have the nerve to go up and knock on doors anymore, so I end up hunting the same old public sites again and again, and while I still make finds, they're not as good as they used to be.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's GREAT! I would purchase an old Morgan Dollar somewhere and give it to the old man for being nice ~ most historic landowners are greedy.

Good luck, spring is just around the corner.

HH/NS

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rush30,
Congrats on getting a "yes" to search. It's a great feeling isn't it. :)
Good luck.
-MM-

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
That's neat. When a landowner gives me permission, and I find some old coins, I usually give them a cupple, usually a few wheaties or a buffalo, or merc. Sort of like my way of saying thanks. Good luck with the property.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Permission is always nice. Hopefully you will have a good friendship with this person and will have many more detecting adventures to come. GL

Laater...

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
It's easier to approach people when they are having a garage sale. Ask how old the house is, was the yard ever searched with a metal detector and that you would love to give it a try. Offer to share the finds. Give them a home made business card, with your name, phone number, address. It works, they are curious to know whats there. Dave .

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In snowy areas, offer to shovel the snow in exchange for detecting rights. Fair deal to me...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread