Loose sand or in the water??

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It would be a tossup. I am talking about value here ie diamond, ruby and emerald rings and gold and silver like chains. The big difference is I use a Surfmaster PI on the beach and a XLT on the turf. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
welcome aboard nurseterri2. When you say "loose sand", I presume you mean the "dry" sand? (as opposed to the "wet" and in the inner-tidal zone, eh?). And do you mean lakes or ocean beaches? There is no one "answer" for your question. On ocean beaches, sometimes the wet sand is better. Particularly if erosion has been occurring where mother nature leaves scores of targets nicely grouped for you to harvest :) Other times the wet sand is totally devoid of targets, if the sand movement is "coming in" and the wet sand is "soft". In those cases, the stuff will have gone too deep out of range, and you won't even get a signal. In those cases, you're better off in the dry sand, where at least you might get a beep :)

And when you say "backyards", that too is a nebulous question. I mean, "backyards of what home?" Obviously some might be good, while others can be nothing but a wasteland of junk. Obviously they're going to vary, home to home, depending on who lived there, how inclined they were to fumble-fingers loose stuff, how old the house is, how junky that yard is, whether or not its been hunted before, and a million other factors.

mtruxfan

May 5, 2013
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
BH QD2, Sea Hunter Mark 2, ACE 350, Garret ProPointer, SS Long Handle scoop
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say everyone will find more stuff in the location(s) they hunt the most.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you're talking sand/surf, you want a PI machine. Salt water beaches and in salt water is the domain of the PI machine. More expensive but well worth it. The "blanket" line is most productive but about knee deep in the water is also good. A VLF will do high and dry on the sand but the wet sand and water requires a PI. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My sister-in-law (when I was married), ALWAYS wore her best jewelry to the beach. I told her not to. She said she never lost any... till one day she had me looking for her bracelet. Took her 2 hours to admit to me she lost it.... ten minutes to find it with the Impulse 8! She also went to the beach with heavy make-up on.... because she would break out in a rash... The rest of us call them FRECKLES! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread