Extremely important!

T

treasurejack

How we are viewed in the public eye is "extremely important" so the next time you're out metal detecting in public try these little deeds:
Put a few coins and rings in your pocket and have some fun with the children who are showing interest. Let them keep the rings and coins you secretly plant so they can find them. At this point you are kind person in the eyes of the public instead of a silent and mysterious person.
Take the time to be friendly when approached, even if you have to wait to dig that super hot signal you just located. Most of us don't like to be bothered when we're metal detecting and unfortunately, "it shows" and it can often cast a false light on us and our hobby. "Stereotyping" comes to mind.
With so many against us and so many pushing for new laws and regulations to restrict our access we can either be our own best, or worst, enemy.
While the general rules of metal detecting still apply as always, we are only doing ourselves a further disservice if we continue to allow our hobby, and the people involved, to be stereotyped or portaid as "unwanted elemants" in the public eye. The last thing we need right now is a lot of people saying that we're all a bunch of unfriendly, grumpy old #*##**d's!
Just a thought I wanted to pass along before this year starts to gather steam.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thoughts Treasure Jack. Everyone that detects can always do something to make us look better.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurejack said:
The last thing we need right now is a lot of people saying that we're all a bunch of unfriendly, grumpy old #*##**d's!
Just a thought I wanted to pass along before this year starts to gather steam.

...but what if we are a bunch of unfriendly, grumpy old #*##**d's? :D

....just kidding, it's actually a good idea!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Jack,
Great advice there. Kids eat that stuff up. They are just amazed at watching the detector at work, even if you only find a new penny.
I run an annual fishing derby at our pond for the kids in our sub-division. We give out awards and trophies, and the kids have a blast. Some of them have never fished in their lives, and possibly never would have.
Nothing better than to get a kid hooked (no pun intended) on doing something fun outdoors.
Good post.
Thanks,
MM
(former Hoosier)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great post, Jack.

I agree. When we are out detecting, we are all representing the hobby. Let's show us in a great light.

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

While it's sad to think of children as political tools, the plain truth is that children carry a powerful influence over politics and we really need to get them interested in the hobby in a big way so a "louder message" can be sent to those people penning these new laws. I'm really surprised W&ET hasn't considered a "youth" site & forum for just this very reason? Let a Senator get a hundred or so e-mails from angry detectorist and it's just typical response. But let him start getting a couple hundred letters from frowning children and the issue gets noticed immediately, by everyone!

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I think a lot of us forget that this is just a hobby we're all not going to get independently wealthy off of metal detecting nice if we could but lets face reality. Lets spread the good word by our actions even if it kills you . Because if you don't more places and even more places will be off limits to us till finally that machine you paid a good buck for is sitting in a closet because theres no place to go .
And I when I say metal detecting in this post as a hobby this thought extends to other hobbies as well. I build museum quality models and often go to contests all over I still do but, don't compete anymore because Ive more than had my share of good fortune and fame I go to encourage others and make new friends. When I metal detect I go to have fun if I find stuff it's a plus if i don't I still have a good day

great idea about carrying pennies a kind little thought like that goes a long way

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
My daughter turned 4 this past summer. One day when I was testing a new pinpointer she asked what i was doing... in that cute little 4 year old way. so I told her i was looking for treasure. I had my wife run inside and grab a handful of coins, which I proceeded to stash in my daughter's sandbox. Then I gave her the pinpointer and she started looking.

Every time she found a coin, it was like seeing her open presents Christmas morning. The look of excitement on her face was priceless. Seeing a kid, any kid's, face light up is worth it.

steve

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very well put,,, treasurejack...
I remember when I was a kid, I was one of those that just had to go up to the old grumpy man and see what he had found. If I had been a cat, I wouldn't have made it... ;D

Some were very friendly, and talked to me, but others were just too busy covering the ground to talk...
I always try to be pateint with the kids, and most other people as well... What else you going to do, most of the time you come home empty handed anyway, so you might as well make some kids day, and enjoy the ride...

As with most of the hobbies I have had, if it ever stops being fun, I won't be doing it...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I bought one of the cheapest detectors for a kid that I can find...was like 19.95 at Harbor Freight .....It basically beeps when it hits metal....and thats about it. I carry it in my jeep when I hit the school yards and parks,because I always get a bunch of little kids who like to follow me. So then I hand them the cheap detector and let them have at it.I make sure they always find something.

My daughters ( 9 and 11) are great detectorists and they have quite a following at school. They have brought their detectors in and have given demonstrations and both recieved extra credit A's for doing so.My daughters reports also included the fact that they were helping the community and schools by removing harmful trash and that went over really big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread