Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a bad show,it's better than the other show ,that had only 2 guys on it and they always did a"happy dance" when ever they find an old coin.Also nice that I can watch it on a big tv screen ,instead of my computer.

OP
OP
The Master Chief

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to enjoy the show

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what is this about big holes? Have you ever tried to excavate an artillery shell that may be 2-3 ft deep with a hand trowel? How about walking into a stand of woods full of rocks and roots & try to dig for a day without a proper shovel. Or walk into a massive field and dig hundreds of targets in a day with with a trowel. No you havent. Do we use massive diggers in nice lawns? No of course not. But if your a serious relic hunter then you need a serious shovel that can remove a clean plug no matter whats in the ground. A small tool :) makes a damn mess when digging tough conditions period. Plus larger plugs means more roots and less dead plugs.

Better yet try digging red clay with any silly hand digger. See how that works for ya.

View attachment 817077

View attachment 817078

I have seen them using shovels everywhere on this show and not any hand diggers. Yes, I have used shovels where appropriate and have two in my arsenal. As far as detecting goes, I started doing this with my dad about 35 years ago. I grew up on a former WWII army base that was mostly abandoned and became a town, I know a little about searching in the woods and weeds.

Last edited:

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the fact that the show has a woman on it just to show this is not a hobby just for men. It never hurts to have ladies involved especially when it comes to having a team mate along when hunting treasure or buying a new metal detecting toy.

It is for TV and you can 't have some old gloomy gus/jane with a scowl on his/her face looking for hours for a coin or peice of treasure.

She is a little annoying with her overly exaggerated enthusiasm. Overall, I enjoyed the first couple of shows.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen them using shovels everywhere on this show and not any hand diggers. Yes, I have used shovels where appropriate and have two in my arsenal. As far as detecting goes, I started doing this with my dad about 35 years ago. I grew up on a former WWII army base that was mostly abandoned and became a town, I know a little about searching in the woods and weeds.
Ron is shown using a lesche tool (think that is what its called) on one episode
I used a huge knife at most spots even in fields - especially hay or grass fields
but if I know there are really deep dirt targets - I do use a heavy gauge steel hand shovel - a guy designed it that i think is a TH'er - I think I got it off ebay -in the woods I use a heavy gauge WWI bayonet - you could pry up a cannon ball with it - its that well made - plus it still has a bit of an edge on it to cut thru roots
will try and get picks
I have always been a kneeler - get down - get dirty
most times they end up on their knees too -
using the shovels saves your back some - but if you dig hole with shovel and then have to drop down and pinpoint and then pull out a hand tool - I'm gonna be digging 2 to your one most times

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
All you need to know is what i've previously mentioned.
Enjoy your wheaties

I find everything about TV in general to be annoying .. That's why I don't watch the things. .. but that's just my opinion.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a couple episodes. Doesnt appear to be staged like that american diggers show. The one thing i noticed is the producers inappropriate sound editing. They use the garrett propointer sound for when a detector is swiping over a target. Has anyone else noticed this?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have not watched any metal detecting shows for a year now ............ After watching the first 3 or 4 that was on that was enough for me ...... Never watched this new show and never will............ Like i said before all these metal detecting shows bore me ..... Remember it is reality tv ..... And that means not real.........And if it was real it would still bore me ... They are all a bunch of crap.......... I do not watch any reality shows at all now .............They are all a bunch of crap.... "" OH "" I said that back a ways ...... So i must mean it...............

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have really been enjoying the show and the personalities and how they interact together. ! I love Abby's enthusiasm and how much she enjoy's getting out with her husband Josh, to go metal detecting! He's a lucky guy to have a wife share the same excitement for their hobby. Larry from Tx cracks me up, I understand that the show throws some fun friendly tricks and jokes, usually by those Chicago guys LOL, someone has to keep things interesting for the viewers, and I don't mind so much when I sometimes hear a tone that sounds more like iron being detected instead of the sweet sounding tone of silver being described as a good tone, overall the show is fun and I enjoy all of the people and its nice to see places I can only dream of being able to detect being worked.

I'm sure that the producers encourage some over-enthusiastic antics but then again, I'd be dancing over finding the things they are finding! I hope the show continues on! I can't wait for the next episode.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a couple episodes. Doesnt appear to be staged like that american diggers show. The one thing i noticed is the producers inappropriate sound editing. They use the garrett propointer sound for when a detector is swiping over a target. Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed the same thing, and mentioned it in my post but didn't know how to put it lol, but yes, the sounds do not always match the appropriate sound for what is happening at the time. Not the fault of the people doing the detecting though, the people doing the sound editing should take a few lessons from the people in the field and try detecting with their machines so they have some idea of what sound/tone to put where and when.
Hopefully as the show grows they will iron out the details as the editors learn more about it.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I enjoy the show as well. Josh is a very good friend of mine and I have hunted with him many times. The show is kind of amusing with the competition between teams. They only get appraisals on thier finds and do not sell them for profit. In the end it is great to see the history of thier finds and what they are worth. I am a relic hunter as well and I do not sell my finds. I have several pieces that are worth quite a bit of money and they are for my collection and not my bank. I have heard people say that the finds are staged. WRONG!!! They actually find what you see. They may have to film for the show after it is dug. You can not film every single target and film it live so they go back and film what they found after the recovery. I think the show is great and much better than the others. Just like all other tv shows.... some will like it and some won't.

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I totally agree with James...Went out a couple of weeks ago and decided I would just use my little digger tool. Dang....Hit my first target a short time from getting there and wished I had my shovel. Found a US civil war button at 10" around some roots. Took me forever. Never again leaving home without my shovel.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, until someone just produces "a general treasure hunting and metal detecting show without all the added hype, drama, etc.," I don't expect any of them to last very long. They just don't present reality once you start adding all the production fluff,effects, etc. I understand why they think they need to do it, but I think they might be surprised at the results if they didn't do it.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, until someone just produces "a general treasure hunting and metal detecting show without all the added hype, drama, etc.," I don't expect any of them to last very long. They just don't present reality once you start adding all the production fluff,effects, etc. I understand why they think they need to do it, but I think they might be surprised at the results if they didn't do it.

That would be ideal.l but that's not entertaining to thr everyday person. They need over weight people screaming, guys running around diving through dog houses, or people playing childish tricks and couples making out. Well never have a normal teasure hunting show cuz it wouldn't be interesting enough.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be ideal.l but that's not entertaining to thr everyday person. They need over weight people screaming, guys running around diving through dog houses, or people playing childish tricks and couples making out. Well never have a normal teasure hunting show cuz it wouldn't be interesting enough.

I have to disagree a bit. To my way of thinking, anyway, if we look at the really successful "collector type shows" such as American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and also some of the older successes like American Sportsman, etc., sure, there was and is a little fluff, but for the most part they were/are successful because they were/are relatively simple and humble and more, "realistic". Just look at how successful Antiques Roadshow was/is. This is what producers fail to realize about our hobby and the mysteries of treasure....."Keep it real because people in general only have interest and/or take interest in the real possibilities and the true adventures and discoveries." You can't "Ice Road Truckers" or "Ax-Men" or "Atlanta Housewife" some realities....it just don't work/last.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
... You are right on there they way they are now they bore me and they all have so much crap in them......................... But if they did not add all the stupid things in these shows ... They would still bore me......

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy the show as well. Josh is a very good friend of mine and I have hunted with him many times. The show is kind of amusing with the competition between teams. They only get appraisals on thier finds and do not sell them for profit. In the end it is great to see the history of thier finds and what they are worth. I am a relic hunter as well and I do not sell my finds. I have several pieces that are worth quite a bit of money and they are for my collection and not my bank. I have heard people say that the finds are staged. WRONG!!! They actually find what you see. They may have to film for the show after it is dug. You can not film every single target and film it live so they go back and film what they found after the recovery. I think the show is great and much better than the others. Just like all other tv shows.... some will like it and some won't.

I agree with you Treasurehound, the appraisals are only to assign a sense of value to add to the competitive nature of the show. It adds some flavor to the show and lets us root for our favorite personalities. I hope the show continues for years!
Not many of us get to detect on the quality of sites they do. I may never! I am however taking my AT PRO Awith me to Maryland this October. I would love nothing better than to actually find a civil war relic myself!

I wonder how much Josh likes the new T2 Md he got and started using in one of the episodes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread