Best experience "on" the water!

T

treasurejack

Best experience "on" the water!

A few years ago I was camping in Michigan in July and the heat was really too much, in the mid 90's and didn't even cool down that much at at night, no breeze, high humidity. One afternoon I was tired of the heat and I grabbed my kayaking vest and I simply slumped over it with my face in the water. As it turned out I made a quick run to the hardware store and I bought a heavy broomstick and two hose clamps. The rest of that week I spent my days with my detector shaft extended all the way out, broomstick scoop in the other hand, mask and snorkel on my face. I didn't really recover all that much on this trip, a few silver rings and some clad coins, but the water was gin clear and it was really neat watching all the fish and underwater sights as I cruised the shore in search of signals. This is why I made the snorkel board that is posted on my website and I've used it countless times in place of the kayak vest with good and "pleasurable" results. But that first hot day with the kayak vest was my best experience on the water to date because it opened my hobby to a very pleasurable concept in metal detecting that I've enjoyed many times since.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best experience "on" the water!

Good stuff Tjack!!! Now I know why all those THers in Florida dive, too hot to do it on land in the summertime!!

OP
OP
T

treasurejack

Re: Best experience "on" the water!

eathabs,
This is a really nice way to spend a hot afternoon. I have three small hooks screwed into the bottom of my snorkel board and I also carry a few bright pink and orange markers in case the bottom is to hard and I have to go over the side with my small hand scoop. I just hang everything on the hooks, grab a deep breath and dive to the bottom. I've even gone as far as making a six foot poll with some attachments so I can attach my CZ-20 coil and control house to the poll so I can hunt a little deeper in a really "lazy" sort of way. And "yes" I do make some nice finds hunting lazy like this. You should try it sometime. I promise you'll be hooked on the "lazy snorkel board" concept. I am!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread