Digging holes

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. here goes. Please don't think I am a dummy here. But, when you dig your holes, is it better to dig a larger one than try to make a very small one? I have found that you do more damage to turf if you try to dig a small hole then have to make it bigger. How big do you make your hole, palm sized, saucer? I always dig three sides and flip it back so that it goes back in nicely after I fill the whole. But sometimes when I pinpoint it is on one side or the other and I have to make it bigger. I feel if I made it bigger in the first place it would have been better. Tell me what you do.

tabjunkie

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,at pro,ace250
Good question. I too dig 3 sides and flip the turf back. Back when I was not so good at pinpointing I would often have to dig more to 1 side or the other. Now I take a little more time to p.p. which gets me dead center of the target & eliminates any additional digging. Anything under 6 inches I will dig a palm sized hole. Any deeper I find that I am not as accurate and will need to make the hole bigger. Also I carry a "coin popper" tool for targets just a few inches down which eliminates digging altogether

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am terrible with pinpointing, especially with this DD coil. I have tried everything and just cannot get it right, sooo.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OJG, save up for a pin pointer if you dont already have one....Im not overly concerned about my holes because I dont dig tuff areas, in the woods I do dig a larger hole though and then fill it in, cover it with leaves and be gone.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was another thread on his with a lot of replies about 6 weeks ago you can find it if you search on "digging holes"
I tend to hunt wooded areas mostly, but when on turf I do the 3 cuts and flap method about 5 inches square.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread